My old dodger
has died. I suppose it would be more accurate to say I killed it, but I never loved it anyway. So...
While the weather
still stinks and I can't get going on major drive shaft surgery(another thread) I have ordered supplies and oiled up the trusty Sailrite
LSZ-1. I made the sail covers which came out ok, so why not a dodger
? I laid out the old dodger for inspiration/patterns. Wow. It really was a cheap
pos. I looked up the company that the PO bought it from. Without naming names, you get what you pay for. Raw seams, little or no hemming, and glass that was cheap
to begin with. Now that I look at it, I wish I could order something from Iverson's. But with easily a $1,000 worth of shaft and engine
surgery coming up plus a new job that involved a $30,000 pay cut, it ain't going to happen. Tell your kids
not to be pilots.
I realize that stamoid might be better, but for this first, Mark 1 effort I'm going with Sunbrella. Total cost with snaps should be less than $400. Obviously, I have the frame already. Today I seam rip the old one, and tomorrow my order comes. This could be a (relatively) cheap learning
experience. Let's see how badly I can mess this up.