Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 14:24   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Which water pump

I am about to replace the fresh water pump.
Jabasco and Shurflow are obviously both readily available, well known brands and come with up to 3 year warranties, however the price of the Chinese products is compelling. Has anyone any experience. It's not exactly a piece of gear one would want to fail on an extended trip but so much is made in China now I just wonder whether the difference in price is going into someone's pocket as profit rather than high quality engineering?
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 15:02   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Which water pump

We have the Shurflo Extreme that is variable speed and does not use an accumulator tank. I don't know anything about the Chinese products you refer to.

While I am sure that there is a lot of profit going into someone's pocket with the Shurflo (they cost a lot), it appears to be a high-quality piece of gear. It weighs a ton, and all that weight is in the motor windings, which leads me to believe they were engineered and built well. It is also dead quiet, which is better than the pump it replaced. That is due to the design of it.

The Jabsco pumps we have had in the past were similar, although much louder because they were not a variable speed design and the accumulator tank would hammer.

We did have one pump fail after a couple of years and Shurflo replaced it immediately by simply telling me to take their email into any store that sold their pumps and ask for another free (we were out of the country when it failed). I don't know what the warranty situation is with the Chinese pumps you reference.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 15:45   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I run a Johnson Aqua Jet pump. Fixed speed & requires an accumulator tank. I have one on fresh water and one on salt water, had one fail after 8 years.

~$60 at:

JOHNSON PUMP 10-13405-103 - 2.9 GPM Aqua Jet Water Pressure System Pump
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 17:12   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use a shurflo silent and no accumulator tank and i m happy. i also have 2 or 3 spares that are noisier.
i dont mind the noisey ones as when i hear those cycling i know i have a leak to repair. the silent ones often go unheard during leaks
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 20:05   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Based on all the problems I have with Chinese products in general, I would never use one for something as important as a water pump. Also I'll mention the to extend the life, use a per-filter
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 20:51   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive had just about every brand of water pump made! And I also have HAND pumps for my fresh and salt water. I really believe that back ups for water are very important! Ive had to many of fresh water pumps with and without tanks give up at the worst times !! Connie and I and the kids had to do 21 days with only hand pumps when the main pump system went down! Let me tell ya im sure glad I took the time to put them in cus we sure used the hand pumps a lot !! ! We are useing a tankless system now and I do like the the lack of noise !!!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:11   #7

Knock out the china option then. Hadn't thought about the Accum. One is fitted but will have to check whether just on the hot water. How do they actually work?
Leaning towards the Jabasco par-max 3 or more likely the par-max 4. Vessel is 30 years old so probably going to have to change some of the pipe work as well.
They have a 3 year warranty.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12   #8

PS tankless system? How does that work - high output water maker direct to the faucets?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:20   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I would highly suggest Nigel Calder's book, "Mechanical and Electrical Manual". It will answer all your questions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:16   #10

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

We been living aboard for 16 years and have always used Sureflow 30 PSI. I prefer the low PSI to conserve water, and easier on the plumbing. I have to replace about ever 7 and most marines stores carry them.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote