PROGRESS of sorts.
Yesterday I rebuilt the right angle drive on the Katadyn 160E pump. I used no hardening Permatex to seal the two gearbox halves as I could not find any Hylomar in stock in SXM ( this is my fave joint to joint face to face sealant
) Filled the gearbox with EP140 oil
AND we did a wee test.
Sat the pump and the membrane on the back of the cockpit
on an ex Moorings seat life presever cushion and connected up the power direct to the batteries with a nice heavy cable and a 50A C/B as a switch, then some hoses and a VETUS coarse filter then a transparent 10" filter housing with a 20 micron filter element in there and popped the intake hose into the sea with a SS/ fitting screwed into the 1/2" hose to act as a weight and keep it submerged.
Filled the 10" housing and switched on the pump.
Lots of air and no operation the 10" filter empted quickly but was not filling.
After trying a few things for 10/15 minutes and seeing no improvement I stuck my tongue over the sea end of the intake hose.....NO SUCTION
So we removed the vetus filter and refilled the 10" housing.
in housing vanished and there was a wee drib into the housing but not enough to get things working.
Filled a bucket with sea water and sat that on the swim deck
and refilled the filter again......we quickly had a working system so I dropped the intake hose back in the sea.
After ten mins I tasted the product water and it was good - we didn't have a TDS meter....one on order.....so I let the PW just flow for another ten minutes then put it in a five litre water jug.........after ten minutes timed by stopwatch it was full WOW THIRTY liters an hour........Today we borrowed a TDS meter and the RO water is showing 470PPM.
IT IS NOISY but does not vibrate a lot. The Noise
is mostly mechanical noise from the reduction gearbox and the Right Angle Drive with the pump making a little noise too. This is the old style RAD with just a cast iron eccentric and a bronze looking bearing surface on the con rod....
There is a new modified version that uses roller bearings so that might be quieter but at around $500 to get it to SXM I will see how things go with the total project
before doing that modification.
It was drawing about 15A with the batteries on around 13.4V the sun was up (NOT high in the sky as we tested this at around 16:00 hours and the solar
but not like it does between 10:00 and 14:00 when we see around 20+ amps going into out LIFePO4
batteries. So not a SPECTRA....see my other thread soon......but 15A for 6.6 UK gallons is not too bad a performance I think.....specs say 25.5 litres / hour so I guess our high voltage is helping here NOT that I did measure voltage at the pump which I will do at the next experiemental run.
I have modified the ends of the 160E membrane housing taking off the steel
pipe and having 90 degree fittings on both ends sadly this needed a bronze female to female adapter as I could not find the 'right' fittings here in SXM.....pictures soon.