Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 12:56   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Watermaker in a box

All connections are tight and air tight. The connectors went in with Permatex non hardening sealant on the threads......I will lube the O-ring with some silicone lube.....I know that this is dangerous as many silicone lubes contain petrolium which my membaranes will NOT LIKE...... I have a little Katadyn Silicone lube so in extremis I can use that.

Any other suggestions as what to use to lube the O-ring seal on the Pre-Filter Bowl.

At the next test i will immerse the whole filter bowl in a bucket of sea water - that should eliminate - and highlight that we have a problem with air ingrees from the pre filter area OR NOT as the case may be.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:15   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermaker in a box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
SPECTRA.

I have now got a Spectra Clark pump and a 40" membrane.

I dont have a Specra low pressure pump but do have a Shurflow 'similar pump which i was going to use to see if the clark pump is operational.

Is that dooable?

I have no idea of the age of the Clark Pump but it is an old one as it has the tapered fittings...the membarne has the straight threads with the O Ring seal.

The Clark Pump is suffereing from stress cracks around one of the fittings see picture

GGGRRRRRRRRR My iPad wont post the URL here properly the picture is on my watermaker album

here is the serial number 0202161983

That is the center block you are showing in your picture that has the cracks emanating from the threads. The best solution is to replace the center block (a bit spendy) You could try to plastic weld the cracks which could work if you are careful. The serial numbers don't help. There should be another set of numbers above the cracks shown. (four digits followed by a dash and then two more numbers xxx-xx) This tells us the size of the Clark pump and how to proceed with rebuilding the system. You could use a standard Shurflo pump to test the system but you would need to get the right one from Spectra if you want one that will work under the pressures and demands that will be called for.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker