Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 14:23   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Value of Used Spectra Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
If by living aboard, you're talking any of the places where people live on their boat and not actively move them, you shouldn't run the watermaker. Far more chemicals and other nasties in those marina/harbors water than from the tap.

Matt
Plus the risk of oil contamination.
Old 02-06-2017, 14:25   #17

Boat: MacGregor X 26'

Yes, good point on the Marina water. We will be heading out as often as possible, and will fill the water tanks then. We use a "Big Bertha" type filter now, including the fluoride option. I would think a water maker would be less hassle than hauling the filter around while sailing. I wouldn't swim in the dock water either.
Perew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:26   #18

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Don't know a price but searching places like E-bay should help you out. In general I would figure whatever you get for the unit is extra money because I do not see people raising their offers for luxuries like this. We are not talking about a blue water cruiser here.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 14:37   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
If by living aboard, you're talking any of the places where people live on their boat and not actively move them, you shouldn't run the watermaker. Far more chemicals and other nasties in those marina/harbors water than from the tap.

Matt
Water makers are good if you are far from a supply of fresh water. It sounds like you are generally close to a supply. If your issue is the purity of marina tap water, the best solution is a filtration setup. You can make one as complicated as you wish for a fraction of the cost of a water maker.
Maintenance is also much easier. However, 5 gal jugs of bottled water from the market night be better yet. I assume you do not need purified water for washing. It takes a while to use up 5 gallons drinking and cooking.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 17:27   #20

Boat: Catalina 350

Buying something second hand is risky for the purchaser no matter what documentation or expert assessment is provided. Risk has to be priced along with depreciation. I would talk to the manufacturer or agent to see what are typical repairs (and their cost) required on a 2 year old unit. Then I would factor a depreciation rate (straight line) over 5 years, so a 2 year unit would lose 40% of its value. My offer would be new list price minus 40% and minus 1/2 the repair cost. Probably close to 50%. If somebody offers more then so be it.

PS, I am not an accountant but have employed many accountants in my businesses. I hate to admit it but they did teach me a thing or three!
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 17:55   #21

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Day View Post
Then I would factor a depreciation rate (straight line) over 5 years.
I sold a non-working Spectra 400 that was at least 12 years old for $1500 (it was missing the high pressure and both feed pumps plus all electronics were shot).... insane second hand value for the Clark pumps and acc. They do not deprecate to zero after 5 years.

Matt
Old 02-06-2017, 20:21   #22

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
I sold a non-working Spectra 400 that was at least 12 years old for $1500 (it was missing the high pressure and both feed pumps plus all electronics were shot).... insane second hand value for the Clark pumps and acc. They do not deprecate to zero after 5 years.

Matt
Many things hold little to no value at end of life. The better question would be what is the likely working life of this machine. If it is 10 or 20 years then obviously the rate would drop proportionally. However I'm sure that in even 5 years we will be buying much cheaper devices.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:33   #23

Boat: Riva 48

Install intense items such as watermakers and radars tend to be deeply discounted in the second hand market as the high installation cost makes a 15-20% discount to list not worthwhile. You would be lucky to get 50% as mentioned. I would leave it with the boat and decide after you have had a few offers.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:18   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Watermakers are not difficult to install - Write to Tellie (on this forum) who is a Spectra Dealer - he can tell you.

General rule is about 2/3s the value of a new.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:27   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I would agree with carstenb. 2/3s the value of new. Spectras hold their value over any other watermaker on the market bar none. I don't usually get involved with used equipment but have sold many over the years. It's not unusual at all to get half the cost of a new unit that is ten years old. I've had many customers buy a unit from me with the intentions of selling after a 2-4 year cruise and get around 2/3 of the original cost back. Makes a Spectra a lot less expensive in the long run than other watermakers that lose value fast. Look at E-Bay Craig's list etc. and you'll find plenty of other brands. It's rare a used Spectra comes up.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker