Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Whadyadowith Yer Urine?
Carry to a real toilet 8 20.51%
Carry ashore and dump on dirt 0 0%
Dump in water 31 79.49%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2014, 18:37   #46

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Sterile Urine ... Liquid Gold?

Urinetrouble as much as I am with people who don't like "pun"ishment.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 19:10   #47

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

The pump has been working over a year and going strong. It is an industrial grade liquid transfer pump from Harbor freight. Tomorrow i will get together a parts list for anyone interested. We also have a mono hull that has no holding tank but I am retrofitting a new holding tank soon to build the same system on that boat as well do to how much success we have had with the system on the Leopard.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:18   #48

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

The only thing to be careful, for the people with homemade heads, is when you have a permanent holding tank, the Coast Guard may require a CG certified marine head. Right now, as I understand it, homemade heads must have portable holding tanks. Permeant holding tanks must have certified marine heads. They (CG)may not enforce this, it was just a word of caution from CHead who was nice enough to give me advice about building our custom desiccating head.
The CG does not certify heads:

Quote:
Toilets & urinals.
The U.S. Coast Guard does not certify or approve urinals or toilets for vessels. Such devices are subject to the provisions of any applicable marine engineering and electrical requirements for the particular class of vessel.
They certify MSDs - which are the part of the system that either treats (Type I or Type II) or stores (Type III) the waste. Type IIIs installed before 1975 do not require certification. After that date your holding tank requires certification, but not the toilet/urinal/whathaveyou. Composting toilets are specifically considered Type III MSDs (because they combine the evacuation function with the storage function) and as such must be "portable" to avoid the CG certification requirement. One of the tests is whether the system is connected to the boat's water or electrical systems. If it's not then it is much easier to argue that it is portable.

USCG Systems Engineering Division (CG-ENG-3)
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 20:46   #49

Boat: Mac 26X

Good thread
Old 12-01-2014, 21:00   #50

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I still prefer to deposit my urine directly overboard with the old fashion plumbing !! Simple and easy ! even if ya must wait till dark !! LOL
Old 12-01-2014, 21:33   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I know what the law states. But I dump urine overboard without a pang of guilt. Every weekend the east coast beaches from St. Augustine to Key West see tens of thousands of beach goers. Wanna bet where the vast majority of them pee?

Come to the Sunshine state and relax in our warm waters.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 04:54   #52

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Sterile Urine ... Liquid Gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The CG does not certify heads:
... Composting toilets are specifically considered Type III MSDs (because they combine the evacuation function with the storage function) and as such must be "portable" to avoid the CG certification requirement. One of the tests is whether the system is connected to the boat's water or electrical systems. If it's not then it is much easier to argue that it is portable.

USCG Systems Engineering Division (CG-ENG-3)
Now that's interesting. Thanks. I think composters will have to deal with this eventually. Isn't it just perfectly governmental that they'd frown on Shakti's solution but be ok with a 5 gal jug full o' pee? Wonder if they'd believe the liquid in a yellow diesel jug was urine? Or even nod knowingly.

Tellie, I hear you but ... And thanks for posting. You were one of the folks I was hoping would weigh in cuz you're there on the front line.

Steve and Sweet Dreams, bet you thought ya'd never get another chance to dust off those old jokes!

Per the poll, it does look like some of us are toeing the legality line. I will when I have to. I'm guessing the more lubberly your boat's appearance, the more you're likely to be boarded and checked.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 06:31   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Women due to our plumbing tend to get urinary tract infections (UTI's), which is what that study had determined. IE that sometimes the urine is not sterile. I expect if someone had a STD that urine might pass that too, Though as its not a bladder infection the colony counts might be small.

Other then that, sterile is sterile.

Boy the things we chat about...
So if I'm understanding this correctly....

You're saying that women are more complicated than men....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 07:13   #54

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thanks, desanduril for clarifying my post.
Old 13-01-2014, 07:40   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

I voted for dump, but I actually do both. When I'm in a anchorage I dump. If I'm sitting in a packed marina, especially one with little flow, I truck the jug to the toilet. Heck, when in a marina I use the land facilities.
Old 13-01-2014, 07:52   #56

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

As far as pee polluting the water from medications excreted by the body, there seems to be some validity to this. Sewage treatment plants do not filter or test for pharmaceuticals, it goes right back into the environment wether you use a pump out facility or straight discharge overboard. But flushing pills down the drain( by individuals, hospitals, elder care facilities), pharmaceutical factories waste discharge, and agriculture are the big culprits.

Drugs in the water - Harvard Health Publications
Old 13-01-2014, 08:24   #57

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
15 to 20 ft?
Flegilhorst where I was stationed in in Germany was a Luftwaffe base in WWII. In the spring all around the base there were these dark green circles about 20 or so ft. across that would appear in the grass fields, there were many of them. Came from Allied bombing, apparently explosives are very rich in nitrates, which make the grass really green even 50 yrs later.
Didn't know they were Faerie rings
Those aren't "Fairie rings" in the traditional sense. Fairie rings are rings of mushrooms caused by a large underground fungal mass sending up its reproductive sprouts at its perimeter.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 09:39   #58

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up Re: Sterile Urine ... Liquid Gold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
The pump has been working over a year and going strong. It is an industrial grade liquid transfer pump from Harbor freight. Tomorrow i will get together a parts list for anyone interested. We also have a mono hull that has no holding tank but I am retrofitting a new holding tank soon to build the same system on that boat as well do to how much success we have had with the system on the Leopard.
Thanks,

I bet I know the pump, cheap enough to keep a couple spares aboard.

I will look forward to your update.

Random sunset picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	73885  
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 12:37   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post

Pics would be great as well if you are so inclined.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 13:25   #60

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

As promised: Here is my list along with links to the two items I had to buy for our system.

12v Marine Utility Water Pump

Plastic Toggle Switches - Double Insulated - SPST

The rest of the stuff I had in my spares.
It consisted of some black and red # 10 wire about 5 feet long each.
2 blade connectors for the back of the switch and 2 loop connectors for the pump to 12 volt bus bar behind the bulkhead. I just wired the pump to the 12 volt source and put the switch in series. I had to cut off the alligator clips that come on the pump and attach the loop connectors I also wired in a 15 amp automotive type fuse between the switch and the 12 volt source. The pictures don't show very well but the little pump is behind the toilet and out of sight. If and when I have to replace the pump I'm going to add a quick disconnect line to the urine jug to make dumping the compost a little easier. As it is now I have to un-hook the urine container from the stool and set it on the head floor but because it is still hooked up to the liquid pump it is kind of in the way. with a disconnect I can put the jug out of the way. Otherwise the system as it stands is almost perfect.

I just read the post about the head system having to be certified. The tank I'm holding in was part of the system that came with the boat. We just ripped out the smelly troublesome bits and now the holding tank only holds urine. I seriously doubt the CG will ever question my setup and as far as discharging goes it works the same as before, i.e. pump-out or dump with a y valve that is under a locked floor panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	73900   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	73901  

Name:	3.JPG