Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2017, 18:10   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Spectra flush

What is the recommended time for flushing a Ventura 200 after preserving with glycol? The book says 4 hours but I've never flushed for this long and I'm still alive. Tellie???
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 08:18   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
What is the recommended time for flushing a Ventura 200 after preserving with glycol? The book says 4 hours but I've never flushed for this long and I'm still alive. Tellie???
GOOD QUESTION.
Usually 20 minutes is enough time. I'm a big proponent of PG and started using it when the idea first came out. What happened is in the beginning we were using a higher concentration of PG to be careful. (You know, the old school of "More must be better") As it turned out with the higher concentration we were finding that the PG would adhere to the membrane surface and take longer to flush off the membrane. This is where the 4 hour flushing recommendation came from. After a few years of adjusting the concentration. I have found for the 200T that installing new filters and giving your system two good fresh water flush's and two gallons of PG-50 in a five gallon bucket makes a good concentration without over doing it. So you still would have fresh water in the system that would mix with the 2 gallons of PG getting you pretty close to a good concentration that doesn't take four hour+ to flush out when re-commissioning.

As always, feel free to call me anytime with any questions you might have.

Best Regards J.T.
HaldenMarineService@yahoo.com
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:18   #3
cruiser

Great info thanks Tellie. Is the PG 50 you mention pre-diluted propylene glycol that you further dilute or is it full strngth?
Old 14-06-2017, 12:26   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Great info thanks Tellie. Is the PG 50 you mention pre-diluted propylene glycol that you further dilute or is it full strngth?

-50PG is 30% virgin glycol. Mixed with the existing water in the system I would guess the concentration is usually around20%PG when done.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 12:27   #5
cruiser

Thanks, I'm on the same page now.