Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 01:56   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Spectra Charcoal Filter

I need to order some new filters for my Spectra (Ventura 150) watermaker and I trying to decide the number of charcoal and 5 micron filters to order. I have put only watermaker water (or very occasionally rainwater from the deck) in my water tank for the last 2 years. (I have not been tied to shore for the last 2 years, life at anchor is much nicer).
Is it reasonable to completely leave out the charcoal filter in the flushing system.(If I need to use town water for flushing I understand I will need to use a new charcoal filter).

Would a 5micron filter be sensible in place of charcoal filter to provide double protection against debris from the tank?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Spectra Charcoal Filter

I've never used anything other than the original 5 micron pleated filters on mine.
I flush it with product water from the tank through the same filter.
No problems in 11 years.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 16:24   #3

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle

I agree with Senor in theory but why mess around with the warranty and product for a few bucks? I only flush with product water, but still replace the charcoal filter every 6 months or so ... seems superfluous from time to time but I feel more virtuous knowing I'm playing by the rules ... and, of course, the 5mm filter, assuming chlorinated water in the tanks, is no substitute for the charcoal ...

FWIW.

/jon

"Money's just something to throw off the back of a train;
Got a head full of lightning, and a hat full of rain."
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We've got a good thing going here on Whidbey.
I've never used chlorine in my boat's water and our community supply doesn't either.
It comes from five wells which have exceptional water quality.
The only additive is an ozone treatment.
The island is a basically a huge sand pile with no rivers. The water comes exclusively from rain.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:12   #5

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
We've got a good thing going here on Whidbey.
I've never used chlorine in my boat's water and our community supply doesn't either.
It comes from five wells which have exceptional water quality.
The only additive is an ozone treatment.
The island is a basically a huge sand pile with no rivers. The water comes exclusively from rain.
There is something to be said about drinking water that comes from a huge, natural sand filter. We have an artesian spring that sits at the base of an ice age beach and the water is to die for.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 08:41   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I need to order some new filters for my Spectra (Ventura 150) watermaker and I trying to decide the number of charcoal and 5 micron filters to order. I have put only watermaker water (or very occasionally rainwater from the deck) in my water tank for the last 2 years. (I have not been tied to shore for the last 2 years, life at anchor is much nicer).
Is it reasonable to completely leave out the charcoal filter in the flushing system.(If I need to use town water for flushing I understand I will need to use a new charcoal filter).

Would a 5micron filter be sensible in place of charcoal filter to provide double protection against debris from the tank?

The 5 micron pre-filter will work. Of course you will be changing it out more frequently than you would the charcoal filter because of growth on the filter. But Jon, who has become a Spectra expert in his own right, is correct. There could be warranty issues depending if the membrane is still under warranty. The charcoal filter itself only protects the membrane but it does filter down to the 3 micron level as well. You are also correct in assuming debris in your fresh water tank/s. Most people would be shocked to see what really lives in their tanks even with careful attention to keeping them clean. Personally, I recommend good dock water every now and then. The residual chlorine that is in good dock water helps keep your tanks under control. Only filling with RO water and especially rain water is a recipe for all kinds of growth in the tanks themselves.
If you are filling your tanks with RO water, rain water, dock water or any combination of the three, I always recommend a good filter (charcoal and sediment) between the tanks and any water receptacle on your boat you plan to drink from.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:36   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks for all the replies If the charcoal filter works down to 3 microns it make sense to keep it in the system (thanks Tellie for that information) I understand the activated charcoal is not effective after 6 months, given that I do no need the chlorine filtration can I safely extend the 6 months or do I need to stick religiously to it? I want to do the right thing by my watermaker. the thought of carrying jerry cans of water from shore if it breaks down is not appealing, but by the time you add courier costs to some remote island the filters are expensive and every delivery invariably means catching a bus to some distant courier office, usually several times, to get the delivery.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:10   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Spectra official line is that once wetted a charcoal filter is on the six month count down for replacement regardless if you use your watermaker once in six months or one hundred times in that six month time frame. I believe in that time frame as well. If you went seven or eight months I don't think there would be any issue. But if you are sure you will never put in any water with residual chlorine in your tanks your pleated five micron filters will do the trick. As far as spare filters, I would think eight to ten 5 micron filters should be enough for at least a year or more. If you change them out on a regular bases when they need it you should be getting five to eight uses out of each filter.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc