Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2016, 06:46   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Linking Fresh Water Tanks?

The solution is simple, you want two pumps, one for each tank. and its better to locate the pumps near the tank. You are going to have a pump failure sooner or later anyway so why not have two, I do.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 08:11   #17

Thanks, Thumbs Up.

The comments 'against' weren't compelling. They would make more sense if one was just coastal cruising in an area where services and supplies were plentiful, but when one's purpose is circumnavigation and all-latitude exploration, they carry far less weight.

How large are your tanks and what brand did you choose? And how long have you been cruising with them (any failures)?

Regards,
Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 09:39   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinBrasil View Post
Thanks, Thumbs Up.

The comments 'against' weren't compelling. They would make more sense if one was just coastal cruising in an area where services and supplies were plentiful, but when one's purpose is circumnavigation and all-latitude exploration, they carry far less weight.

How large are your tanks and what brand did you choose? And how long have you been cruising with them (any failures)?

Regards,
Merlin
Watermakers are one of those areas where there is no such thing as one size fits all or ones needs are the same as another, even if they are in the same type boat cruising the same areas. This is where searching out and locating good expert advice is important. It really does take time to sit down with each individual person and find out what their needs, desires, requirements, and their boats capabilities are before recommending a watermaker that would best suit their lifestyle. As you know watermakers are not cheap, but you can certainly spend too little and certainly spend too much. You can as easily under-size a watermaker for your boat just as surely you can easily over size one.

My father used to say "An educated customer now, will always be your best customer in the future". So we hold an all day class in Fort Lauderdale for just that reason. This year it is coming up fast on July 16th a Saturday. No charge, food and drinks included. We will be covering in depth watermaker issues, repairs, servicing, and help to narrow down and define what may or may not suit you best. You will go away with a lot to think about if a watermaker is something that might be in your future. If this interests anyone, we have a few seats left and would love to see any CF members there. Just shoot me PM or give me a call if you'd like to get on the list.

Halden Marine Services – Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 09:44   #19

Thanks, Tellie

I agree with your Dad 100% and, being an IT consultant for decades, always went the extra mile to educate my clients.

Wish I could attend, but too long a trip from Rio for a single event Thanks for the offer, though. I hope many take advantage of it.

Best regards,
Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 19:22   #20

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Both feet-after you switch to the new tank go down to one of the heads and run the sink water. Run it for maybe 30 seconds and the air will spit out, priming the pump. This works because those faucets are below the pump location. It will only be necessary to do this if you run the tank dry before switching over.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tanks, water