Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41   #1

Boat: 1993 Beneteau Oceanis 440
Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 Water System Pump

anybody tried one of these new variable speed pumps. just installed one yesterday, and it would start and pume fine until i turned off the tap. then it would not start until i turned off the breaker and turned it back on. then it would work again until i stopped the flow again. THEN, the next morning it functioned perfectly for a couple of hours, then stopped and required recycling again. any ideas?
sirena gorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57   #2

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: jabsco vflo 5.0 water system pump

i had one of these and threw it in the bin the flow pressure sensor kept on getting stuck in NC mode of the electrical circuit jabsco sent me five new sensors over a period of 8 months the longest they lasted was 2 weeks but i thought the prob had been fixed as i know some one else had same prob but they have had it fixed now with an updated version of sensor
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:14   #3

Re: jabsco V-flo 5.0 Water System Pump

thanks for the info. i hope i have better luck. i had their predecessor of this pump, the sensor max, and it worked great for 3 yrs. i can only hope. what pump did you replace yours with?
Old 03-08-2011, 14:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau 411
Check the voltage. I had exactly the same problem with exactly the same pump 6 weeks ago. Could not figure it out until fridge started giveing problems. I had replace a breaker ( wash down pump ) in the panel and had not tightened all screws upon reassembly. They must be more voltage sensitive. Hope that helps
Benebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 19:22   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: jabsco V-Flo 5.0 Water System Pump

I have used the Jabsco Sensor Max VSD Constant Pressure Pumps for 6 years until finally it would not pump anymore. Flat wore our the motor so I had to buy a new whole pump. Cost a fortune in Trinidad. But I do like the way they operate and the removal of the need to have an expansion tank. The expansion tank bladders fail after a couple of years.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 21:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you have a pressure tank in the system, remove it. A pressure tank will drive these pumps crazy. If that's not the problem, take it back to where you bought it. The dealer should just swap it out for you. Jabsco has a great warrenty program.
Old 04-08-2011, 21:41   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Our VSD hasn't missed a lick. Coming up on 4 years old.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24   #8

thanks to all. i think benebob is onto something w/ the voltage. yesterday I had pump problems while running the microwave. thanks again
Old 10-08-2012, 16:02   #9

Re: Jabsco V-Flo 5.0 Water System Pump

Has anyone tried to put a pressure reducer after a 60 PSI Vflow pump? I would just as soon not have my water heater dribble and my watermaker back flush can only handle 35 PSI. My old Flojet VSD pump provided plenty of water at 40 PSI max so no sense subjecting my system to more pressure?
wilboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 19:30   #10

Boat: Privilege 435

I'm having trouble with my new V-Flo pump too. I've narrowed the problem down to the pump sensing an overvoltage condition and shutting itself down. My solar panels correctly charge my AGM batteries during the day at 14.4v via my MPPT controller. The pump is supposed to shut down at 14.5v but is shutting down at 14.3/14.4v. If I turn my panels off, the pump works just fine. Im now in the process of trying to find a way to resist the voltage but at this rate, I may well just buy a different pump and ensure that Jabsco doesn't make it to my Christma-card list.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 13:15   #11

Stay away from it...is my humble opinion.
The v-flo is a rediculously sensitive pump for marine use. I thought I'd give it a try and after the second pump I'm staying with the Par-Max plus series instead.
The first pump would not restart after there was no call for water. It had to be reset at the breaker. The 2nd one would not come on when shore power was disconnected. Therefore no water on the hook!
I understand that it has voltage sensors etc, and is supposed to even sense a leak. A little too sensitive for a marine application if you ask me. I would run water through my spout attached water fikter and it would shut off for what I can only see to be it thinking it was a system leak as it only allows a slow stream through the filter.
I'm out about $80 shipping the thing back and forth. Enough of that for me!
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco, water