Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 10:50   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Holding Tank Hose

ABS is what is used for residential waste plumbing in Ontario and what I have had in my boat for over 20 years. Photo below shows the adapter fitting from ABS pipe to 4" of hose to holding tank pipe. I know that looks a little odd with the bilge pump right there but my hollow keel is my holding tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	55481  
Old 22-02-2013, 11:04   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrin View Post
I am due for replacing my hose this spring and this looks quite interesting. I remain unclear, however, how people make the connection between the PVC pipe and the: 1) head, 2) Y-Valve, 3) holding tank, and 4) through hull?

Pics might be worth a thousand words.

Thanks!
One can buy all kinds of adaptors theses days>>>> PVC sch40 and sch80 plumbing fittings - PlumbingSupply.com®

Old 22-02-2013, 12:03   #33

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Thanks to all. I have reviewed all of the pics (as well as the pics in the mentioned links). Looks as if the way to do this is with the barbed attatchment and hose. If anyone has pics of a different type of connection (apart and together), I bet we'd all appreciate it - looks like a viable alternative to all hose.
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:47   #34

Boat: 535 Norseman

I've used PVC (schedule 40) for over 8 years now on several different boats. It's much more difficult to run but it does not permeate. One thing to note is that you will want some hose in the system - especially in the deck pump out. Without the flex in the hose some of the more powerful pumpout stations will cause blow-back with an all PVC system - it's a disgusting mistake and.... especially painful lesson when it happens to the wife.
memiller279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 14:31   #35

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiller279 View Post
I've used PVC (schedule 40) for over 8 years now on several different boats. It's much more difficult to run but it does not permeate. One thing to note is that you will want some hose in the system - especially in the deck pump out. Without the flex in the hose some of the more powerful pumpout stations will cause blow-back with an all PVC system - it's a disgusting mistake and.... especially painful lesson when it happens to the wife.
Here is the photo of the PVC to Deck Pump Out

You can also see the PVC to Tank Vent Loop on the right then behind and ending at the hull vent on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC to deck fitting also vent in back.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	55490  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:33   #36

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Male and female pipe thread to pvc adapters are readily available at hardware stores everywhere, then screw in the pipe to hose adapter of your choice. I had only one problem with this setup, using female pipe to pvc adapters - every one of them cracked eventually from the male pipe to hose adapter being screwed in tightly. Changed them all to male pipe to pvc and used female pipe to hose adapters and have no more leaks from cracked fittings. I used pcv and cpvc for all piping runs and made the connections with hose to give the system some flexibility.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:39   #37

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Wish I had found the fitting in Delmarrey's last post when building the plumbing, it would have saved a lot of work.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:10   #38

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Thanks for the pictures - they help. Looks as if the fitting to use then is type pictured in Delmarrey's post and to stay away from the screwed in barbed fittings.

Lots to do this spring!
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 19:20   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Just another tip when making your plumbing joints, remember to keep the inside bore of the pipe clean and burr free, I usually cut my pipe with a hacksaw which means I leave a burr. I often just use any tool with a sharp edge to smooth it off. Also, when gluing your pipes together don't apply too much to the female part of the joint as you will create a molten lump of glue and plastic inside,and remember to push and twist the joint. Ridgid PVC pipe seems to last forever in my experience, if it is out of the sun. Good luck
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 21:02   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

To help eliminate pre-formed 90s, 45s, and compound curvatures, you might want to see if you can borrow or rent a PVC hot box. There are no such things as straight lines on a boat. A hot box could be worth it's weight in gold if you're considering PVC.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 06:01   #41

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
To help eliminate pre-formed 90s, 45s, and compound curvatures, you might want to see if you can borrow or rent a PVC hot box. There are no such things as straight lines on a boat. A hot box could be worth it's weight in gold if you're considering PVC.
I have never seen a hot box.
Can you make one?
How hot does it have to get?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:33   #42

Boat: Yankee 30'

I agree with Foggysail. I have been installing head plumbing with PVC 1" pipe (light schedule no less) and PVC valves (instead of Y valves) from hardware store for decades.
Yes, PVC is strong and definitely up to the task. It's image suffers mostly because a PVC pipe left out in sunshine degrades due to UV. It is very cheap, light, and relatively easy to install. It can be bent using heat gun (little practice helps), glued together with various fittings and connected to heads, pumps and holding tanks with a short section of silicone hose. Use two 45 degrees connectors to get a right angle turn for less flow restriction. Use four of these to make a anti-siphon U. It NEVER smells.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 10:59   #43

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

PVC heaters for conduit are also fairly commonly used by electricians. They come in a variety of sizes. You open it up, set the pipe in where you want the bend, rotate it a little to avoid burning it in one spot and as soon as it starts to get soft, you can form the shape that you want. A template is helpful to make a nice bend and avoid kinking it. Templates can be another pipe bent in a similar shape or use your imagination...
Greenlee 849 Electric PVC Heater For 1/2" - 2" - Amazon.com

I expect you can rent them in some places.
Old 19-03-2013, 11:30   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

As I said, use ABS for waste plumbing on the boat but I have bent PVC at home by slipping it over the exhaust pipe on my car (running of course) for a few minutes.
Old 19-03-2013, 11:32   #45

Boat: Irwin 40

Boatpoker, very cool idea wish I had thought of that!
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote