Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2009, 03:07   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Head Y-Valve

Handle broke on my old Y-Valve which switches overboard to holding tank effluent.
Any thoughts on replacement? It seems to me that the simpler the valve and smoother the interior, the least chance of a leak or odor.
I have an old marelon valve and looked at the whale and jabsco. Would be interested in owners experience with any of them, in particular leakage, odor and reliability.
Thanks in advance!

Steven
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52   #2

Bump for (more) opinions!!?? Anyone?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:36   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
You are right a Y valve is more complicated.

2 ball cocks wopuld be much simpler, but take you an extra 10 seconds to change.

I would go the 2 ball cocks.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:33   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have two Y valves (Jabscos) and replaced one with another Jabsco. Had to do this because I failed to work the valves every month. These are excellent valves but need to be worked every month or else they scale up and the handle breaks when you try to work it. Defender had the best price, half of what WM charges.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:50   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
This wont help
I prefer none. I rather pump to the holding tank and the be able to pump the holding tank overboard through the discharge thru hull. means an extra pump but its nice to have that option and y valves in the long run are problematic.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59   #6

Same set up I have, but I do have a y-valve so I can pump at the dock if needed. Jabsco macerator to pump the tank. All is good.
Old 02-10-2009, 00:19   #7

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
I installed a Whale diverter valve and am very happy with it. It has a slot for a padlock so nobody inadvertently turns it while in a "no dump overboard" zone.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:01   #8

Thanks for the above - I looked at the Jabsco and did not like the design -Too many "O-Rings" and 90 degree bend. I ended up replacing my broken one with the Marelon diverter I have from an old installation. No leaks, but the boat is now on the hard for the winter, and will have to wait until my spring season (next year!) to see about odors, function, etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 19:40   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
This wont help
I prefer none. I rather pump to the holding tank and the be able to pump the holding tank overboard through the discharge thru hull. means an extra pump but its nice to have that option and y valves in the long run are problematic.
- - In USA waters you need the Y-valve for maximum safety against fines in no-discharge zones . I plumbed the head directly to the holding tank. No choice there. Then from the holding tank it is routed to a Y-valve that goes up to the deck cleanout for use in pump-out stations or the Y-valve can be turned to empty the holding tank using a macerator pump to the thru-hull in the bottom of the boat.
- - Any system that has the ability to route the head discharge to the water must have a locking mechanism that will accept a "padlock" so that the selector handle can be "locked" so that no discharge overboard is possible. This is a requirement of the laws about no-discharge zones. The inspecting ranger or official will want to see a padlock on the Y-Valve. Totally silly as guess who has the key, me - but they want to see the lock.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 20:42   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - In USA waters you need the Y-valve for maximum safety against fines in no-discharge zones ..
Never heard that before. The valve that permits discharge needs to be secured a wire tie is usually acceptable.

Y-valves, macerator pump valves, or any other through-hull fitting valves capable of allowing a discharge of sewage from marine sanitation devices shall be secured in the closed position by a device that is not readily removable, including, but not limited to, a numbered container seal, such that through-hull sewage discharge capability is rendered inoperable.

My system has a key that locks out the discharge pump and I tie off the handle at the thru hull. I have a seperate pick up with the usual deck plate for discharge at a pump out station. though it could be a single point with a unvalved y.
Posatively legal with out the thru hull tied off it is probably legal as the sytem is locked out requiring a key to make it operational.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 21:34   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
This wont help
I like your set-up, makes sense & thanks for sharing!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 21:38   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Marelon valves are notorious for locking up if they don't get exercised frequently. I would replace it with a bronze ball valve.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Maybe I should have clarified to say in my real life experiences (one on the west coast and one on the east coast) the officers wanted to see a padlock. Some other officer might accept plastic tie-wraps. Like checking in/out of a country, the official you end up with may want tons of stuff and hassle you and another official may just smile, stamp your forms and say - have a nice visit. It is all variable. I just don't like getting into a hassle arguing with any of them so I go the most conservative way that will satisfy the whims of all of them.
- - Not having a deck pump out it good evidence to the official that you intend to discharge within the "no-discharge zones." In the USA waters some new marinas must have provisions for pump-outs at each slip if they are going to have Live-a-boards. This on one of the reasons some marinas will not accept live-a-boards as it is just too expensive to install all that stuff.
- - There are only a few places out of the hundreds of places you can stop in USA waters that are "anal-retentive" about holding tanks and pump-outs and if you avoid them then any sort of system will be okay. I just like to configure my boat so I am not restricted in anyway from going to anyplace that my whims take me. The locking Y-valve system covers all contingencies and in 10 years of cruising have only had to actually do it twice.
- - Yes the Marelon Y-valves are a bitch and get progressively more difficult to work. I found a Y-Valve that has a small "half-moon" type handle centered over the valve shaft and it has turned easily now for a year. I would suggest staying away from the Y-valves that have a long "off-center" type handle. There is also a Y-valve that has parallel inlet/outlets and a metal lever that rocks back and forth to switch outputs. In some areas having all three hoses parallel is the only way it will fit.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote