Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2015, 05:57   #61

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting Head when heeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This is hilarious...

For those of you out there who are honestly exploring the idea of which system is best, I suggest you listen to those of us who have spent extensive time with both.
Yepper. 2+ years of daily use here. I dump my urine jug before it gets in that dangerous 30 degree zone but one could just put the cap on the jug. Aside from a few short term experiments, in two years I have used 2+ cubic yards of peat and one 10# block of coir with nary a turd in the drink, nor crossed legs into a marina. My neighbors poop and flush. Nutin I can do about that other than I don't swim in the morning.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:11   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Composting Head when heeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yepper. 2+ years of daily use here. I dump my urine jug before it gets in that dangerous 30 degree zone but one could just put the cap on the jug. Aside from a few short term experiments, in two years I have used 2+ cubic yards of peat and one 10# block of coir with nary a turd in the drink, nor crossed legs into a marina. My neighbors poop and flush. Nutin I can do about that other than I don't swim in the morning.
If you still have a holding tank, with a bit of work, an electric float and discharge system could be made to put the urine into it. Then dump when out at sea or at the collection point..or even put a switch over unit and empty straight into the sea when off shore. that way heeling would not be an issue. Strangely the urine emptying is the one thing I dont like.
Might have a go. Or just think about it some more. Or just not bother at all.
Oh look, bright shiny thing.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:33   #63

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
If you still have a holding tank, with a bit of work, an electric float and discharge system could be made to put the urine into it. Then dump when out at sea or at the collection point..or even put a switch over unit and empty straight into the sea when off shore. that way heeling would not be an issue. Strangely the urine emptying is the one thing I dont like.

Might have a go. Or just think about it some more. Or just not bother at all.

We have done exactly this. A pump from the urine tank into the holding tank. This can last a long time since you don't add water. Then dump off shore (or pump out). Made the Airhead system even better.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:44   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
We have done exactly this. A pump from the urine tank into the holding tank. This can last a long time since you don't add water. Then dump off shore (or pump out). Made the Airhead system even better.
You are my hero.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 18:21   #65

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

Erika - I'm not sure if I'm impressed... or... disturbed by your intricate knowledge of the various biological processes involved here... Thinking of you as super hero microbe girl...
He he, yes my reaserch was a bit overboard but if you have ever lived with a bad holding tank AND are a germaphobe, well you'd understand :')

In my research, which I will try to link, you cannot get the heat generated to properly compost poo. If I remember correctly it was the volume of the poo tank or storage tank. Studies have shown that small tanks, even a ten gallon one, cannot produce the heat needed to kill the bad microbes, the disease causing microbes. Drying or dessicating has been the preferred method in small sanitation systems. Best source for research is to Google third world sanitation studies. The boat people of Vietnam had such a study.
I mean the goal here is to have a good smelling boat and dispose of our poo in a easy and safe manner. So understanding your head, wet or dry is pretty important now that cruising is so popular and many anchorages so crowded.
Dessicating isn't perfect either but it seems the best for us right now. I regard all used peat, no matter how well its dessicated, as potential source of disease and am very carefull in the disposing. I personally think the on board waste treatment system like lectrosan (spell?) Is the best solution as far as impact on the environment and good smelling boats :-). That was going to be our next step if this dry head thing didn't work out. But we are very happy with our simple dry head.

I'm on my hubbies phone as my iPad doesn't seem to like bahamas wifi (wimax) . I'm pretty sure my head page on our blog has these links.
Old 16-09-2015, 04:20   #66

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Composting Head when heeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Ann... Today I will refer to you as Ann-Frank... (hee hee the directness caught me off guard but I enjoyed it immensely) ...
That's funny stuff Ed. And informative. I didn't know that women pooped.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 05:10   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Crabby... If you were closer to Portsmith or other launch facility, a new submarine wouldn't be cause for concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
My idea has been perfected... Thanks shatiki maiden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
He he, yes my reaserch was a bit overboard but if you have ever lived with a bad holding tank AND are a germaphobe, well you'd understand :')

In my research, which I will try to link, you cannot get the heat generated to properly compost poo. If I remember correctly it was the volume of the poo tank or storage tank. Studies have shown that small tanks, even a ten gallon one, cannot produce the heat needed to kill the bad microbes, the disease causing microbes. Drying or dessicating has been the preferred method in small sanitation systems. Best source for research is to Google third world sanitation studies. The boat people of Vietnam had such a study.
I mean the goal here is to have a good smelling boat and dispose of our poo in a easy and safe manner. So understanding your head, wet or dry is pretty important now that cruising is so popular and many anchorages so crowded.
Dessicating isn't perfect either but it seems the best for us right now. I regard all used peat, no matter how well its dessicated, as potential source of disease and am very carefull in the disposing. I personally think the on board waste treatment system like lectrosan (spell?) Is the best solution as far as impact on the environment and good smelling boats :-). That was going to be our next step if this dry head thing didn't work out. But we are very happy with our simple dry head.

I'm on my hubbies phone as my iPad doesn't seem to like bahamas wifi (wimax) . I'm pretty sure my head page on our blog has these links.
Only increasing the superhero image... Many for sharing the wealth... does hubby know you're writing about such things on his tablet???

Quote:
That's funny stuff Ed. And informative. I didn't know that women pooped.
Ann has the prim and proper to "roll up your sleeves and get the job done" range... My hero!

***edit*** Four quote reply for a thread subject like this... Time to do some rethinking...
Attached Images

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting