Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 04:41   #1

Boat: Hunter 340
Cleaning a fresh water holding tank

I have a scum line inside the fresh water holding tank and I want to remove it. The tank is made of a plastic material and holds 70 gallons. At present the only access is a 2" dia. hole where the tank volume sender sits.
Is there a cleaner that will remove the scum line?
Can a larger hole be cut and then re-cemented after cleaning?
Thanks in advance!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 04:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Cleaning a fresh water holding tank

Does it have any baffles in it? I have used these before and if glued in with sikaflex would give you room to get inside better. There is a clear lid version which will be good to see into the tank. They have an o ring seal so stop any leaks.

Access Panels|tank|hatch|boat|water|TCL4

We currently have one of those clear dinghy inspection hatches but its a GRP tank, just not sure if it would work in plastic.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 05:24   #3

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Does it have any baffles in it? I have used these before and if glued in with sikaflex would give you room to get inside better. There is a clear lid version which will be good to see into the tank. They have an o ring seal so stop any leaks.

Access Panels|tank|hatch|boat|water|TCL4

We currently have one of those clear dinghy inspection hatches but its a GRP tank, just not sure if it would work in plastic.

Pete
Thanks for the link Pete7! My tank does not have baffles, but a 7" dia. access would really help!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 06:01   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

You could try cleaners for brewing which are good for cleaning tanks in similar situations. One product in particular is great for similar brewing situations: PBW.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Star-PBW.../dp/B0064O7XBA

Assuming an HDPE plastic or similar I expect it would be fine, but you should confirm.

A little PBW mixed with water and left to soak overnight removes even really stubborn stuff.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 07:00   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you can cut a 6" or 8" hole and use one of these by Seabuilt.

Old 26-08-2019, 07:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

If there's a scum line in the tank, you can bet there's also scum and slime in the plumbing. Recommissioning the system solves both problems without the need for any "surgery" to add a port to the tank. I've posted the instructions here several times and have also included them in my book (see link in my signature...just click on the title).

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:07   #7

At the risk of not letting Peggie have the last word on this.......bleach.

I had the same problem, including a horrible odor in the freshwater. I did three treatments of bleach. I used about 1 cup of bleach per 60 gallon tank. I thought I had it in two treatments, but it returned the following season. The third treatment I used 2 cups per 60 gallon tank.

The third treatment appears to have solved the issue. That was 2 years ago.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 09:59   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I have a scum line inside the fresh water holding tank and I want to remove it. The tank is made of a plastic material and holds 70 gallons. At present the only access is a 2" dia. hole where the tank volume sender sits.
Is there a cleaner that will remove the scum line?
Can a larger hole be cut and then re-cemented after cleaning?
Thanks in advance!
My boat has two 100 gallon stainless steel tanks. As best as I can remember when I purchased the boat in 2007 I added one gallon of bleach per tank and top them off overnight, then drained them again and refilled. Some months later when the boat was hauled (elevated) I drained them again, opened them up and scrubbed them with a NEW toilet brush while having a spray hose and a drain hose connected. The evidence of the need for cleaning came out of the drain hose onto the asphalt paving of the marina.

So, no matter what you put in to disinfect you still needs to scrub the inside walls and creases to get rid of the evidence of it being there.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 10:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
If there's a scum line in the tank, you can bet there's also scum and slime in the plumbing. Recommissioning the system solves both problems without the need for any "surgery" to add a port to the tank. I've posted the instructions here several times and have also included them in my book (see link in my signature...just click on the title).

--Peggie

Hi Peggy Hall! Glad to See You! We are trying to find our copy of your book (its on one of the boats). But I looked at online index, and it didnt seem to have a chapter for flushing drinking water. can you post instructions again? we just boat a boat with 150 gallon water tank and lots of plumbing. This reminds me to tell everyone what great success we have had from your book.

Cheers
Mike
mikehmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 10:51   #10
Marine Service Provider

It's in Part V "To Everything There Is a Season." "Fresh Water Maintenance" begins on page 59.

If you can't find your hard copy, the Kindle edition is only $9.95 and you don't need the Kindle tablet, just the Kindle app which you can get for both iphone/ipad and android tablet/phone for free.

--Peggie
Old 26-08-2019, 19:16   #11

Boat: Byliner 3258

Bleach works, but takes time to clean out if overdosed. RV and Marine stores carry products to clean and sweeten tanks and lines. Camco make Taste Pure apply at 29 ml. per 75 laters. eliminate taste of plastic metal, sulphur and eliminates algae build up. Camco also sell Spring Fresh in 3.78 literals container. Captain Phab has Purge Tank Cleanser.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 01:28   #12

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
It's in Part V "To Everything There Is a Season." "Fresh Water Maintenance" begins on page 59.

If you can't find your hard copy, the Kindle edition is only $9.95 and you don't need the Kindle tablet, just the Kindle app which you can get for both iphone/ipad and android tablet/phone for free.

--Peggie
I cannot recommend this book enough ...... every yacht with a head and/ or water tank should have one. The key thing for me with Peggie's book is prevention is better than cure
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 03:46   #13

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
I cannot recommend this book enough ...... every yacht with a head and/ or water tank should have one. The key thing for me with Peggie's book is prevention is better than cure
Purchased!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 05:56   #14

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Purchased!

It really is a treasure trove of info!
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 05:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

Thank you!

Fwiw, title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em.... 'cuz prevention is always cheaper and easier than cure, and you get to do any preventive maintenance on our terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie

Tags
cleaning, holding tank, water