Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 14:08   #1

Boat: Dufour 12000ct 45 Ketch
Can anybody identify this?? (Refrigeration)

So the fellow that I bought my boat from left me several half finished projects to complete. One is the fridge/freezer. There is a brand new compressor, but none of the lines are hooked up. I've identified the half inch lines that run to the compressor, but I have no idea what this component is. It has quarter inch tubing running to and from with compression fittings. The only place I see on the compressor for this are the service ports.
It is made by alco controls and looks to be some sort of pressure gauge. Anybody seen this before? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	81480  
SailingTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 14:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Can anybody identify this?? (Refrigeration)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingTerrapin View Post
So the fellow that I bought my boat from left me several half finished projects to complete. One is the fridge/freezer. There is a brand new compressor, but none of the lines are hooked up. I've identified the half inch lines that run to the compressor, but I have no idea what this component is. It has quarter inch tubing running to and from with compression fittings. The only place I see on the compressor for this are the service ports.
It is made by alco controls and looks to be some sort of pressure gauge. Anybody seen this before? Thanks!
The picture is of a combination high and low pressure switch designed to protect system from damage by stopping compressor. Compressor could deliver explosive pressures. Low pressure side stops compressor is system were to run in a deep vacuum and is sometimes used on holding plate systems instead of a thermostat to cycle compressor.

Would need several e mail pictures to identify complete system and be able to describe what you would need to do to commission it.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 14:30   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

It looks like it is a pressure differential cut in cut out switch. Probably for start and stop running of your refrigeration compressor.
Old 17-05-2014, 14:45   #4

Ok, that makes sense, it does say "cut out" on it. Any idea where this type of switch would connect to the system? It can't be the service ports, right? Maybe a t junction? Here are some more pictures of my mess. Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400362949.344777.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	81484Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400363000.379132.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	81485Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1400363070.876829.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	81486
Old 17-05-2014, 14:49   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Compressor could deliver explosive pressures.
Explosive???? Hardly
Old 17-05-2014, 17:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingTerrapin View Post
Ok, that makes sense, it does say "cut out" on it. Any idea where this type of switch would connect to the system? It can't be the service ports, right? Maybe a t junction? Here are some more pictures of my mess. Thanks!
Attachment 81484Attachment 81485Attachment 81486
Palarran,, Explosive maybe serious damage or fire are better words.

SailingTerrapin, From the pictures I can tell that your systems is 12 or 24 volt with separate refrigerator and freezer holding plates. There must be a thermostat in each box. to operate refrigerant flow control separately.
The best way for me to help you is to separate this into two projects Mechanical and electrical.

There are a number of line connections to be made. Place a piece of tape on each lose line fitting and number it starting with #1 then find where other end is connected and place the same number on it. See if compressor inlet and outlet is marked S and P if so label them again with tape and take pictures of areas where labels are with as much of surrounding area as possible.

See if you can get a straight in picture of electrical box there should be a large relay inside and a large and small set of fuses. See if you can read the information on motor size. There is a good chance the speed ratio is to fast.
You will need to know what type oil is in compressor.

This is a water cooled unit so take pictures of pump and seacock.

The left hand line coming out of pressure switch should be low pressure but to confirm that report top number in each window of switch. There is a cap on line coming out of receiver where high pressure switch could be connected but additional pictures may find a better place.

Best not overload this web sites with pictures email me direct Richard@kollmann-marine.com.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 19:16   #7

Thanks Richard. I'm going have to postpone the project for a couple weeks while I bring the boat down to San Diego. As soon as I get back to it I'll send you some pictures. I really appreciate it!

Tags
refrigeration