Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:25   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Bulkhead Fitting for Propane Line

We have a propane line that is run directly through the cabin top on our Ingrid and it seems to me that there should be a much better way to run a robber propane line through a cabin top (or bulkhead) rather than just drilling a hole, running the line through and sealing it and hoping that it doesn't leak (which it does).
What is the proper way to run this line through approximately 1" of plywood and fiberglass? Is there a fitting available for this? I have looked and not found anything locally that will work reliably.
Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My installer required...

My gas installer required a plastic coated copper tube to be used. It had to be run through grommets and supported at set intervals. He connected the stove, the reducer/regulator and the gauge.

For running through the deck he told me to get one of those through deck cable fittings. Expensive, but did the job perfectly.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:03   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
There is a fitting in the West Marine catalog called a Vapor Tight Straight-Thru Fitting that I bought for routing a gas line through a bulkhead. I think it would be ideal for your application. Its page 547 in my Annual Catalog for 2009.
regards,
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06   #4

Thanks, Boracay and SkiprJohn! I will check both of those out. I had looked through WestMarine, but didn't find anything. I will check closer.
Boracay, Is the cable fitting that you mentioned something that is marine specific or is it a standard electrical part that I might get from a local supply house?
Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
My Valiant has massive bulkheads. We ran it horizontally through one with a thru-hull fitting (SS) sealed with 5200. We then ran the propane line and wires through the thru-hull, and sealed them with 5200. Will tell if it is a good fix in 5 years....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:55   #6

Thanks, Newt. I had thought about a through hull fitting and that may be something I would do, but I wanted to investigate other options first. If I did use a through hull, I may try to seal it with something other than 5200. Great stuff, but I may want to replace the line at some point
Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 14:11   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
5200 will come off stainless. its kinda like rubber when it fully cures. My thru hull is an inch in diameter. I should be able to get a screwdriver or something and clean it out if I had too (hmmm- something to think about though)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 14:34   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
It's in the catalog, but the store may not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Thanks, Boracay and SkiprJohn! I will check both of those out. I had looked through WestMarine, but didn't find anything. I will check closer.
Boracay, Is the cable fitting that you mentioned something that is marine specific or is it a standard electrical part that I might get from a local supply house?
Thanks
It is large enough to pass 3/8-inch flare fittings. I just installed a heater, and it worked very well. Electrical cable pass through are similar, but I don't think they have the range to pass the fitting AND cinch down on the hose... at least not the ones I looked at. It looks very similar to those, though. See below.

West Marine: Vapor Tight Straight-Through Fitting Product Display

Also, I posted something on my heater install - perhaps it is of interest:
Sail Delmarva: Search results for heater

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2009, 15:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausont View Post
Thanks, Newt. I had thought about a through hull fitting and that may be something I would do, but I wanted to investigate other options first. If I did use a through hull, I may try to seal it with something other than 5200. Great stuff, but I may want to replace the line at some point
Thanks
This may be one few ideal applications for Silicone sealant aboard a boat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 17:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
I used this one...

I used this connector.

This one is similar, but may not work as well...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 17:16   #11

Trident Marine - Straight-Thru Fitting - Liquid and Vapor Tight

Quote:
Meets ABYC Standard for non-abrassive, vapor tight (non-pressurized) seal of continuous length of LPG supply line passing "Straight-thru" water tight bulkheads and decks from inside cylinder locker to each appliance
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:03   #12

Regarding the previous links to the Trident Marine propane bulkhead pass thru, you will see that it is limited to a bulkhead thickness of ½ inch.

That means you will have drill a larger hole, and cover it with some sort of plate that measures ½ in inch or less.

That is what I did, but my propane locker backs up to my galley. Worked painlessly for me.

Link to manufacturers Trident Marine bulkhead pass thru -

Trident fittings

Hope it works out for you.

Mike
Mike156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:19   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
McMaster-Carr... Part#5454K87...$7.04

McMaster-Carr

This is what I used on my Ingrid. I had my horizontal tank on the cabin top with a 2 ft hose to the side of the cabin to the thru-hull with a 90' then 90'd straight down to the stove.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:48   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Piping or tubing that has fluids fluids running through them are not really supposed to have the pipe or tube run through the bulkhead. The pipe or tube is supposed to connect to a bulkhead fitting which is tightened down making it securely attached to the bulkhead. On the other side of the bulkhead, you are supposed to connect another pipe or tube to the bulkhead fitting.

Its pretty much a BS way of doing it by running a pipe or tubing through the bulkhead then putting sealant around it where it touches the bulkhead. First of all, you may negate the purpose of a watertight bulkhead and second, pipes expand and contract in relation to the bulkhead, causing a wearing effect on the sealant which might eventually wear through the pipe or tubing.

Here are some examples of bulkhead fittings. There are a whole slew of different types and sizes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 18:54   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
This has lasted over 12 years

West Marine: CableClam Waterproof Through-Deck Fittings Product Display 710&Ne=0&Ntt=cable clam&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=cable clam&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5003&subdeptNum=3&c lassNum=30
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote