Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 07:57   #31

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50
Re: Bilge Pump Filter, Yes or No?

Found it here:
KPM Bilge Predator Aluminum Offshore Bilge Pump $599
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:39   #32

Boat: Norseman 400

To clean ALL things boat, including our bilge goo, we use Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover. About $4 a bottle at regular retailers like Home Depot, Target, and grocery stores. It cleans everything, including the bilge, green mildew from Sunbrella canvas, the shower, our white fenders, the stains on the hull, and Formica. We've even used it on the engine compartment for exhaust dust. Grime and stuff just slides right off. You'll be amazed what you see on your rags. It does have chlorine (just like the dock water you use to rinse off your boats...no need to preach), so don't get it on regular fabrics like clothing, or you'll have permanent bleach spots. Ventilate the area and don't breath it in. Fantastic stuff.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:43   #33

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Kenomac,

I don't understand why anyone bothers with comical mass-marketed bilge pumps. Commercial pumps like the one I have included in this response do not need to be protected from most of the crap you would find in a bilge and the rest get chewed up like a garbage disposal...

KPM Marine Bilge Predator, KPM Marine Aluminum Bilge Pumps, KPM Marine

zboss -

That is exactly what I am looking for!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:10   #34

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I use Dawn to get rid of Diesel odor.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:42   #35

For your oily bilge clean up I second the recommendation for an electric pressure washer with Joy or Dawn. There more higher detergent things than those also. Google commercial floor cleaners. Likely have TSP in them.
You can get into the nooks and crannies you cant reach with a pressure washer.

Those Jabsco diaphragm pumps are good to get the last bit of water out of the bilge but useless as a real bilge pump.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:48   #36

Lots of great advice for my oily bilge and it isn't even my thread. Awesome.

I've been wondering if a pressure washer was the way to go, this seems to confirm it. I'm guessing the pressure washer would be good for keeping my teak decks and rails bright too.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

I've been wondering if a pressure washer was the way to go, this seems to confirm it. I'm guessing the pressure washer would be good for keeping my teak decks and rails bright too.

I would not use the pressure wash on your teak decks, it will gouge out the soft layer of wood between the harder portions.... just like improper brushing of the teak.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:31   #38

Oh, thanks for the tip Cheech.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:37   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Keep your bilge painted white and clean.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:10   #40

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Kenomac. If you are near Palma, there is a distributor with a host of fantastic products.
Bilge-Wash is known as "Limp Nautic" do NOT leave it on painted surfaces, even epoxy paints, you must rinse well.

He is called DIBALQUIM SL. Calle Gabriella Fuster 5 (Derecho) 07141, Pont 'd Inca Marratxi, 971 608984

His boat shampoo is also amazing...

OH! A strum box is much safer than an inline filter. You can shake it to clear it in an emergency. Never clear a strumbox by hand, sometimes sharp things are stuck to it. (glass shards etc)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:37   #41
cruiser

Spent the entire day with Pammymac doing repairs, she's actually a lot of help. Cleaned out the bilge several times... The stink is gone.

Replaced the primary fresh water pump that was leaking a ton.

Turned our attention to the generator, and replaced the water pump and hose... Also flushed out the heat exchanger. Put everything back together, and started it up...discovered one of the generator exhaust hoses had come loose from the separator due to someone in the past attaching it backwards... Spewing water all over the engine. All kinds of crap from the engine portion of bilge washed into the bilge sump and totally clogged the intake.

Cleaned out the bilge again. Fixed the detached hose.

Had we put everything back together without checking stuff, turned on the generator and gone up to sit in the cockpit... OUR BOAT WOULD HAVE SUNK TODAY.

We are definitely getting a macerating bilge pump ASAP. Already OK'd by Pammymac... I'll place the order tomorrow.

The Jabsco diaphragm bilge pump and intake screen is crap. Would never prevent the boat from sinking with any significant leak. IMHO.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:06   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A diaphragm pump is a wonderful pump, I have one for my fresh water, but at least the valves on a diaphragm pump does not tolerate trash, making them not a good choice for a bilge pump in my opinion, because you do have to have a filter to keep the trash out.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:20   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Spent the entire day with Pammymac doing repairs, she's actually a lot of help. Cleaned out the bilge several times... The stink is gone.

Replaced the primary fresh water pump that was leaking a ton.

Turned our attention to the generator, and replaced the water pump and hose... Also flushed out the heat exchanger. Put everything back together, and started it up...discovered one of the generator exhaust hoses had come loose from the separator due to someone in the past attaching it backwards... Spewing water all over the engine. All kinds of crap from the engine portion of bilge washed into the bilge sump and totally clogged the intake.

Cleaned out the bilge again. Fixed the detached hose.

Had we put everything back together without checking stuff, turned on the generator and gone up to sit in the cockpit... OUR BOAT WOULD HAVE SUNK TODAY.

We are definitely getting a macerating bilge pump ASAP. Already OK'd by Pammymac... I'll place the order tomorrow.

The Jabsco diaphragm bilge pump and intake screen is crap. Would never prevent the boat from sinking with any significant leak. IMHO.

Ken
Wow, if it's not one thing, it's another!!!

Diaphragm pump is the perfect maintenance bilge. Just don't tell us that was your ONLY bile pump! It's only use for the last drop, but for this it is supreme!

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:24   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

Pressure washers are incredibly destructive - remember steel is cut in machine shops with water jets. Pressure washers utterly destroy teak decks in seconds - ask Ken about that. Be really careful what you use them on. Any pipework, hoses, etc in the bilge could be quickly destroyed. For bare fiberglass they are great.

We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 13:03   #45

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Pressure washers are incredibly destructive - remember steel is cut in machine shops with water jets. Pressure washers utterly destroy teak decks in seconds - ask Ken about that. Be really careful what you use them on. Any pipework, hoses, etc in the bilge could be quickly destroyed. For bare fiberglass they are great.

You're right about a pressure washer on teak.

How did it get from a bilge pump to that. Not having crap in the bilge to clog a pump is the answer. Anyone with a nasty bilge should find something else to do not boating.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump