Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 05:11   #16

Boat: Pearson 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyhorob View Post
If the second is the back up, I would want to know if it ever turns on- which would mean the first either failed or could not keep up. In either case it's not a back up anymore and you need to get something fixed.
Both of of these pumps are installed to run when the water is high. If one fails the other one still runs. The only time when one pump can fail without a backup is when the boat is heeled and the water is around the failed pump. If it gets high enough, though, the working pump will come on.
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 11:03   #17

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post
Much thanks for the help.

I think the 2 counter option deletes complications and is more reliable in the long run . All the setups I have seen in the past have separate counters for each pump.

Another advantage of this option is knowing if one pump is not working, even though the counter shows cycles....
By the time you setup two separate counters you are starting to get to something close to the price of the unit that I listed earlier in this thread. It supports 8 pump inputs. You can program an alarm independently on each one. The alarm can be set for the number of times a pump is on, or for the cumulative time a pump is on. You can query the unit to see the current values for each pump. I started down the path of building my own, but I wanted to monitor two pumps plus a high water alarm. When I found this Celectron unit for 79pounds, it was cheaper and easier.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:48   #18

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Question Celectron monitor

Chief Engineer has got me thinking. I have a wood boat and expect her to make some water on occasion in lumpy conditions. Seams above the water line are only wet underway. Does anyone know of a US supplier of the Celectron unit, or something like it?

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 05:56   #19

Boat: Pearson 40
Paul

I checked out the british unit and it has all the bells and whistles but costs about $100US more than both of these two simpler counters. It also has the alarm which is good...

Not sure of the long term reliability of the unit -a friend has a counter similar to mine that has been in use on his boat for over 10 years, hence I think it's reliable.
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump