Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 21:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Bamboo Toilet Paper - What!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Thanks for sharing that level of personal detail BailOut. Just what I needed to picture in my mind whilst I munched on my corn flakes.

<ROFL>!!!
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 00:32   #17

Boat: Mumby 48

Wonder how this product performs in 'composter' (dessicator) loos such as the U.S. Airhead, in contrast to traditional paper based?
allatsea99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:12   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by allatsea99 View Post
Wonder how this product performs in 'composter' (dessicator) loos such as the U.S. Airhead, in contrast to traditional paper based?

Good question. I don't see any reason to think it would behave any differently than any other fibre-based TP. But it would be useful to have a real-world test.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:36   #19

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
For less than 15 bucks you can buy a portable squeeze bottle bidet and use fresh water- less than a quart. I use it at home and on the boat, you can even warm up the water if you prefer not having a morning woohoo.
It's funny though - thought experiment: go back to the pre-toilet days and ask the question, what would you prefer, soap and water to rinse and wash or paper to rub and rub? Really, the latter is quite disgusting, to be honest.

So yeah, I'm all for the soap and water alternative. Just a technique to master but thereafter: never again dragging around rolls of paper and never again well... no need to go into details.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Bamboo grows faster takes up less per metre for planting purposes , so for your tree to reach 25 year maturity to pulp wonder how many crops of bamboo one gets
Much more environmentally friendly
They aren't growing trees to 25yr old to use as pulp. That's getting old enough to generate poles and sawn lumber which is much are much more valuable products. They use the scrap from those operations to feed pulp processes. Most don't grow for pulp specifically, but if they do, it's just a few years to reach that level and works much more like bamboo.

To the original question: If you fold it in half and use, it...if your fingers immediately break thru, it likely passes the test without need to buy a mason jar.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by allatsea99 View Post
Depends on your goal.

If you are trying to generate compost for the flower garden, it might take a little longer to fully decompose

If you are bagging and disposing of it while cruising...who cares if it's fully decomposed.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
It's funny though - thought experiment: go back to the pre-toilet days and ask the question, what would you prefer, soap and water to rinse and wash or paper to rub and rub? Really, the latter is quite disgusting, to be honest.

So yeah, I'm all for the soap and water alternative. Just a technique to master but thereafter: never again dragging around rolls of paper and never again well... no need to go into details.
Not to suggest toilet paper doesn't have it's issues...but pre-toilet paper days:
- Romans had reusable shared sponges on a stick.
- Greeks used shells or clay pieces to scrape it away.
- Pioneers would use dried corn cobs.
- Many of those washing with water used their bare hands and didn't have clean running water (hence eating and shaking only with the right hand is common in many parts of the world because the left was used for cleaning their back sides).

Japanese have about the best with auto cleaning systems built into their toilets but rather energy and water intensive for most cruising boats.
Old 02-12-2020, 13:55   #23
Marine Service Provider

I'm really amazed that what I've come think of as the Great TP Panic of 2020 hasn't created a huge demand for bidet toilet seats in homes....there are a quite a few that aren't expensive. But I've not seen any indication of that.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:13   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I'm really amazed that what I've come think of as the Great TP Panic of 2020 hasn't created a huge demand for bidet toilet seats in homes....there are a quite a few that aren't expensive. But I've not seen any indication of that.

--Peggie
Peggie,
It seems like a good option TP panic or not. Not sure about onboard given water usage.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:21   #25

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

While i am not against using the bidet in principle i just don"t understand the mechanics of how it works, it seems messy, what do you use to dry off, i don't get it. I see so many people saying how wonderful it is but no details of how it actually works.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:27   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
While i am not against using the bidet in principle i just don"t understand the mechanics of how it works, it seems messy, what do you use to dry off, i don't get it. I see so many people saying how wonderful it is but no details of how it actually works.
Get off the pot and get into the shower. It's about the same with not having to get drenched.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 14:48   #27

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Get off the pot and get into the shower. It's about the same with not having to get drenched.
Huh, now im even more confused. So i just did a bit of googling and its a hot topic. Apparently some people dry of with toilet paper so no savings there, others use a small cotton towel a few times and then wash it. Not very energy efficient. I can see its use at home but i don't know about on the boat.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 15:56   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Ah! What we all need is a functional marine bidet with a built in dryer.
We have had a Bidet for over a year, we originally did it to save on paper as it takes a lot of space storage wise.
Now we won’t be without a bidet and when we don’t have the use of one it’s just nasty.
This from an over 60 yr old Redneck who though a bidet was ridiculous, until we tried one, and we flush with fresh so the bidet is fresh too.
We don’t have a drier, was going to try one in the house but the little room that the toilet is in doesn’t have a plug.

In my part of the world nobody is cutting old growth forests for anything, I grew trees, Loblolly and Slash pine to be exact, it’s a cycle, first cutting is just pulp, you don’t get much money from pulp, second you get some lumber and more money, usually last cutting you get poles from and that’s the best paying, then you either let them grow or clear cut and replant.
You plant them too dense to grow correctly so that you have to thin them to get the best production.

Trees require almost no “farming” except for planting and harvesting no fuel is used. Full cycle is about 25 years and you typically will get three cuttings in those 25 years.

But in the places of the world that can grow it, sure why not Bamboo. Last sets of sheets we had made were Bamboo, Layla sheets, softest and coolest sheets we have ever slept on, just perfect for the Caribbean.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:46   #29

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We do not put ANY paper products in our heads.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:50   #30

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
First I've heard of this, but I'm not surprised that someone with an advanced case of environmental protection-itis would decide that, because bamboo is a renewable material, bamboo toilet paper would save trees...not realizing that paper is made from pulpwood trees that are farmed "crops" and therefore just as renewable as bamboo. paper!

Btw...I googled Caboo tp and came up with their website: https://cabooproducts.com/

--Peggie
You should do your homework better: TP does not “come from farmed trees.” Sure, it’s one of the sources...Try taking your RV and park next to any forest, farmed or otherwise that’s being clear cut.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil