Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 19:49   #1

Boat: Ericson Independence 31 Hull No.63 Cutter rigged, SV LAYLAH
Balmar direct drive 12v diaphragm pump

Folks,
I've searched this site and got no hits for the referenced Pump. I purchased this Balmar pump some years ago on the understanding it was NOS. This past week I had an opportunity to try the pump out for transferring a volume of fuel (about 20 gallons) to allow me to empty and clean my fuel tank. Once cleaned and the saved fuel shocked to remove bio sludge the pump managed 8 to 10 feet of lift to put the fuel back aboard while on the hard.
Only complaint was that the pump leaked nominally between the stack-up of pump segments. After completing the fuel system cleanup I started looking for data on this pump to determine if it was 1) suitable for fuel service, 2) appropriate volume-wise for use in a fuel polishing set-up I had built and 3) whether there were rebuild/ service kits available.
Having experienced fuel issues twice over 10 years with our current Ericson Independence 31 I had opted to have my own polishing system permanently installed aboard to manage ongoing fuel cleanliness.
So, Google searches yielded almost nothing, one only hit for an NOS Balmar direct drive Model B630 (I think it was) for same on eBay.com for the nominal sum of $600+ dollars. I submitted a question to the Seller whether they had the original literature included with this pump and was not favoured with a response.
I sent off a query to the Balmar (electric) web site - alternators, etc and they did respond indicating they had moved office about 2 years ago and had discarded all their old product data. They did advise this particular series of diaphragm pumps were carried in the 1980's. These pumps were a "private brand" with Balmar, manufactured by others (in Italy according to the only branding mark on one pump segment) and carrying the Balmar label.
If anyone recognizes the name and happens to have one in service, I'd appreciate any related info, pump schematics, source of original manufacture or and availability of service parts.
This is a very good pump, I'd like to put it into service.
Thanks,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Victoria 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	126195  
Greg Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 18:24   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Balmar direct drive 12v diaphragm pump

Try Depco Pump Co. They sell and rebuild most pumps. Manufacture some of the parts needed themselves. Not the cheapest, but probably the best.
Depco Pump Company
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depco.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	126412  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, balmar, diaphragm