Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 11:03   #1

Boat: Allied Princess
Cricket toilet won't prime.

We have a Cricket toilet on our 75 C&C 33. If there is liquid in the bowl it will flush. Bad news is it won't pull in water from the through hull hose. Even with water up to the toilet it has no pull. Do we need a new toilet? I have been told it is obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jm2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 13:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Cricket toilet won't prime.

I'd guess that either the intake seacock isn't open or you have a blockage in the intake line. The owners manual, which you can download from here: http://raritaneng.com/wp-content/upl...ket-Manual.pdf may be of some help.

Raritan introduced the Cricket in the late 90s or early 2000s...it wasn't one of their best ideas--not because there was anything wrong with it, but because too many people didn't flush it completely (stopped pumping as soon as the bowl was empty), leaving solids and TP to build up in the diaphragm discharge pump, which is located directly below the bowl. When it builds up enough, something has to give and that "something" was the flapper valve in the bottom of the bowl...it was not a pretty sight! After several attempts to re-design a "user proof" flapper valve, they gave up and discontinued it after only a few years.

So yes, I definitely think it's time for new toilet...and I'm gonna recommend another Raritan. They're known for top quality toilets...the Cricket was RARE failure.

The Raritan PHII has been the top rated toilet in its class for more than 30 years...the newest version is PH SuperFlush, currently only available from Defender and for a great price! raritan ph superflush @ Defender
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil