Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 05:06   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Anyone Know of 50/60 hz washer?

Hi all,

I am trying to locate a washing machine designed to accommodate 50 or 60 hz power? I can step up or down the voltage between 110 and 220, however I'm wanting to find one that can run on either European power standard or US.

I know there are electric motor designed to do this and I get that the 50/60 hz issue alters timers that are based on the frequency. Anybody every hear of one or suggest a place to look.

Thanks!
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:24   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Re: Anyone Know of 50/60 hz washer?

I'm sure you can find one.
The issue is the controller, not so much the motor.

If one can get a multiple volt/frq fridge/freezer, then it should be out there someplace.
When I got to Europe, the only items that were still 120v /60hz only were the A/C units and the Splendid Washer dryer.
I would have to run the Gen for those items.
Everything else could run off the inverter and I had a multi voltage charger.

When I go back, I will add a Victron Inverter that can take the startup loads of those items as well as a pure sine wave that they require also.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:44   #3

Boat: PT-11

I looked forever. Could not find one. YMMV
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Anyone Know of 50/60 hz washer?

I don’t think it’s going to matter, get one with an electronic control those work off of low voltage DC, not the old fashioned ones with an electric motor and clockwork mechanisms.
Most I believe have gone electronic years go.

Every 60 Hz device I took to Germany years ago worked just fine, from the microwave to the vacuum cleaner, microwave sounded strange and may have taken longer to cook, but it worked fine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 14:01   #5

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Most ships are 60Hz our domestic supply was 50Hz, that means our washers and dryers were domestic models. Only difference I noticed was the spin speed in tumble dryer was higher. They stuck on the periphery.
Disagree with Microwave, but may be better to have 60Hz machine running on 50Hz. Spin wash cycle speed can be altered by changing pulleys, anyway.
Old 09-11-2018, 21:06   #6

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

I would contact Splendid and explain your situation.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:48   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I'm on my third washing machine in 8 years so I think I've learned a little. I bought my first in St. Maarten and it worked great until I reached the EU, where the 50hz burned out the controller. I then had to purchase a 50hz model, which worked great when plugged in to shore power but didn't run off my generator. I gave that unit away when leaving the Canary Islands and now have a beautiful new 60hz washer that I purchased in Antigua. So, to rewind it, it would have been way cheaper to buy a dedicated inverter for the washing machine as they don't really draw that much power.

We also have a full size dryer. My original one lasted until this year when the drum bearings or motor finally gave out. It would run on 50 or 60 hz. If I return to the EU, I'll probably only run it off my generator or inverter. As an FYI, the only two things my wife asked (demanded) when purchasing Palarran was a full laundry set up so she didn't have to lug the dirty clothes all over hell to clean, and power flush toilets. Both have been worth the huge amount of $$ we spent to install.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:01   #8

Boat: Outbound 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychfeld View Post
Hi all,

I am trying to locate a washing machine designed to accommodate 50 or 60 hz power? I can step up or down the voltage between 110 and 220, however I'm wanting to find one that can run on either European power standard or US.

I know there are electric motor designed to do this and I get that the 50/60 hz issue alters timers that are based on the frequency. Anybody every hear of one or suggest a place to look.

Thanks!
Hi all
I have an INDESIT (italian) washer-dryer on my boat that works with both50 and 60 Hz
Wernito is offline   Reply With Quote