Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 13:53   #1

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII
Any reason to maintain direct discharge in the PNW?

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I've got a question for those of you that primarily cruise the Pacific Northwest.

It's come time to replace the aft head hoses on our boat. The PO had replaced the forward head hoses before we purchased it, and removed the Y-valve and the direct discharge hose entirely. (Which makes sense. It's pretty much illegal to dump anywhere we normally cruise - I'm not sure about the northern parts of Canada, but it's unlikely we'd ever take it that far.)

The question is: Is there any benefit or reason for keeping the aft head Y-valve and direct discharge hose? I'd thought it might be a negative as far as eventually resale - but in talking with others - some makes of our boat weren't even built with the direct discharge. (And as a side note - we also have a macerator on each tank - although I don't know if they work).

If I don't need to run yet another length of hose - that will save me some time and $$$.
Thanks,
sv JoyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 17:10   #2

Boat: Bayfield 25
Re: Any reason to maintain direct discharge in the PNW?

If you're running offshore outside 3 miles why wouldn't you want to discharge overboard? There are plenty of open bodies of water even in the Inside Pass you could do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sssssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 17:35   #3

Uhm, would the almost absolute lack of pump out stations affect your choice?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 18:12   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 30K

even better question is how can you convert a nice triangular fitted plastic black water tank to a fresh water holding tank?.
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 18:13   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Go for it. As long as you can pump your holding tank overboard why bother with a Y valve? Everything into the tank, pump out tank offshore. Or get pumped out when you can.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 18:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Go for it. As long as you can pump your holding tank overboard why bother with a Y valve? Everything into the tank, pump out tank offshore.
I could never understand the logic of pumping everything into the HT if it's going overboard anyway.
Old 09-11-2014, 18:48   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Unless you can frequently direct discharge there isn't any reason keep a Y-valve arrangement on the boat. I have 2 heads and holding tanks and neither have direct discharge.
Old 09-11-2014, 19:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Unless you can frequently direct discharge there isn't any reason keep a Y-valve arrangement on the boat. I have 2 heads and holding tanks and neither have direct discharge.

That's my thinking. With the macerators still there, I still have the option to empty the tank if needed/possible.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Bret
Old 09-11-2014, 19:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I could never understand the logic of pumping everything into the HT if it's going overboard anyway.

I suppose it's "the timing". If you're far offshore, it wouldn't matter. If you're in and out of the coastline, you can always store it until the moment that you are far enough out where you can dump it.

Bret
Old 09-11-2014, 19:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv JoyRide View Post
That's my thinking. With the macerators still there, I still have the option to empty the tank if needed/possible.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
And when, not if, your macerator pump dies...like mine did last year, you wish you'd kept the Y valve.
Old 09-11-2014, 21:54   #11

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I'm in Seattle and every couple of years get into Canada. Pumpouts are a rarity in Canada.

My setup goes directly into the holding tank. The hose to the pumpout has a tee in it. The tee path goes to a guzzler diaphragm pump to a seacock/throughull. 99% of the time I use a pumpout. In Canada I can pump overboard when away from their no discharge bays, and away from the 2-3 pumpouts available.

If you're worried about it add a shutoff valve at the tee to the diaphragm pump.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I'm in Seattle and every couple of years get into Canada. Pumpouts are a rarity in Canada.

My setup goes directly into the holding tank. The hose to the pumpout has a tee in it. The tee path goes to a guzzler diaphragm pump to a seacock/throughull. 99% of the time I use a pumpout. In Canada I can pump overboard when away from their no discharge bays, and away from the 2-3 pumpouts available.

If you're worried about it add a shutoff valve at the tee to the diaphragm pump.

Canada gets mad when Cruise ships are found violating MARPOL regs in their waters by direct discharge inside 3nm, but then pump their sewage directly into the Strait if Juan de Fuca. Priorities are all jacked up.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:13   #13

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssssailor View Post
Canada gets mad when Cruise ships are found violating MARPOL regs in their waters by direct discharge inside 3nm, but then pump their sewage directly into the Strait if Juan de Fuca. Priorities are all jacked up.

Is your point just a rant on B.C. government or were you commenting on me pumping overboard in B.C.

I think if one follows the rules / guidelines Environment B.C. for recreational boats has, it is very reasonable. The amount that recreational boaters put in the water is low, using pumpouts when available, and pumping overboard outside of low flow bays seems too logical to have been agreed on by politicians.

Boating and Marine Activities

If no pump-out facilities are available, only release sewage in open waters which are not designated and that have good tidal flushing action. Do not release sewage near marinas or in bays, inlets and other sensitive areas such as shellfish leases.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:25   #14

Absolutely. I love to rant about the hypocrisy of the so called "environmentally friendly" Canadian govt. I just used your message cause of the note on how few pump-out stations are available to rec boaters.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:26   #15
cruiser

Keep the Y valve, someday you'll need it and be glad you kept it. Macerator pumps break and pump out stations outside of some US marinas are rare. Sometimes in places like California, it's difficult to find a pump out station that actually works.

The best, most reliable system we've used is the electric macerated toilets to direct gravity discharge via an elevated holding tank. The closed system you've described was the worst as far as reliability. Seems like the macerator pumps were always broken or the hoses persistently permeated by odor due to poo sitting in them. Our friends had the same ongoing problems with their boat.

Keep the Y valve, it will make it easier to flush your system clean when the boat isn't in use.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote