Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 07:06   #1

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck
Anchor Wash down

I have a hose spigot at the windlass that is connected to the fresh water system. There is a 4 gal/min wash down pump that I can get for half price.
will that pump give me enough pressure to blast off any bottom material?
Any recommendations on a high pressure option?
Thanks,
Mike
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 07:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Anchor Wash down

I simply run mine off my regular house fresh water pump, which delivers about the same capacity. Works fine.

A fresh water rinse of the chain makes a huge difference in the lifetime of the galvanizing.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:41   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We have a salt water wash down that we are going to supplement with a fresh water wash. We currently power the salt water pump with a 4 gal/min and we will continue to use that to get most of the junk off. But we will use the fresh water washdown after the chain is clean.. I am also going to use the pump that West Marine has on sale... 4 gal/min is plenty of pressure.

As a bonus it can be used to rinse the deck with fresh water after sailing. I'm also toying with the idea of adding a water softener into the line. The don't cost very much and they add very little complication to the system.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 12:52   #4

Boat: 42' Heritage East Nova Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We have a salt water wash down that we are going to supplement with a fresh water wash. We currently power the salt water pump with a 4 gal/min and we will continue to use that to get most of the junk off. But we will use the fresh water washdown after the chain is clean.. I am also going to use the pump that West Marine has on sale... 4 gal/min is plenty of pressure.

As a bonus it can be used to rinse the deck with fresh water after sailing. I'm also toying with the idea of adding a water softener into the line. The don't cost very much and they add very little complication to the system.
That was the one I was looking at as well. I have a toilet I was thinking of converting to freshwater in the forward cabin and I may set up a water system just for the toilet and windlass wash down. I know you can't attach it to the fresh water supply that goes to drinking water for cross contamination. It is expensive to convert a toilet to fresh, but it is a Raritan Atlantes and I hate to let it go. Separate fill and vent for a 40 gal tank I have.
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 13:13   #5

We have saltwater and freshwater washdown spigots at our bow. But, we don't have a water maker, so we use both, depending on the situation.

Tags
anchor