Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 15:21   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: 12 volt watermakers, which one?

In the beginning...

I started out with the earliest efficient "energy recovery" RO system, the PUR (now Katadyn) PowerSurvivor 35. It worked OK, but there were lots of reported problems with the plastic pump body and overly complex design. So I took the opportunity when presented to upgrade to a PowerSurvivor 40e (using the old motor and membrane), and bought a spare membrane to turn the old pump into a manual one for emergencies. It has worked very well. And was very popular among cruisers until the Spectra unit came along, which cost a bit more but had a much larger output and was also efficient. But that was then...

Today the components to make an RO unit are readily available, and there is no need to pay those ridiculous prices. My friends on 2 boats heading out to go cruising were both looking into building their own systems - until they found this: https://seawaterpro.com/ Why anyone would consider paying $5k when they could get an RO for $1.5K is beyond me. But of course they aren't spending a lot of money on advertising so there is a reason no one has mentioned them yet. Take a close look at them.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 15:53   #17

Boat: CSY44 Pilothouse

The advise of the posts deal mostly with small water makers as they are 12volt. I would like to bring up the advantages of a larger watermaker which we have used now for several years although I do not know the size of your boat. My system consists of a CruiseROWater watermaker, producing 30 gph, and a Honda generator. The advantage is that it is all powered by 110 Volt, and the generator has alternate uses for back up battery charger and in general for using 110 Volt power tools. The system is very affordable and I appreciate the alternate uses of the generator. But you need to have room for the generator. The parts of the watermaker can be spread around the boat.
Henk Koornstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 04:23   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
Our Lucia promissed for October is planned with a SLCE AquaBase 60 liter/h using 25A. This is the standard option for Fountaine-Pajot.

It uses the same reciprocating high pressure pump as Spectra and some others. It has fully automatic salinity control, automatic flush, remote at navigation table, etc.

The price is quite similar ... 7500€ against 10,000$US for an equivalent Spectra.

Are there actual users of AquaBase in USA able to give some comments ?

If the Lucia will be mainly sailed in the East Coast and Bahamas, is it better to install a Spectra ?
The team at CYOA yacht charters in St Thomas are very experienced with them and have nothing to say but good comments.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 15:17   #19

Thanks for all the good, experience-based, reports!
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:42   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Koornstra View Post
I would like to bring up the advantages of a larger watermaker which we have used now for several years although I do not know the size of your boat. My system consists of a CruiseROWater watermaker, producing 30 gph, and a Honda generator.
Rich will adapt his high-volume units to work off 12V if desired.

Of course they won't work off most banks without a charge source active for long,

but if you have high-amps input at 12V, it's great to reduce runtimes.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:12   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most water makers can be either 12V or 120V by merely changing the motor.
However in my opinion the 12V only really makes sense if you have a very efficient Watermaker, high amp draw 12V rarely is logical, it requires a high amp 12V source, and very few boats have that.

However if your determined, all it takes to make a 120V Watermaker run off of 12V is an inverter, you don’t have to change to a 12V motor. That way when you determine that being able to make water requires the big motor and big alternator isn’t exactly what you want, it’s easy to give in and buy a Honda.
Of course if you have an efficient 12V Watermaker, then you can maybe run it off of your Solar if you have enough.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:28   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most water makers can be either 12V or 120V by merely changing the motor.
However in my opinion the 12V only really makes sense if you have a very efficient Watermaker, high amp draw 12V rarely is logical, it requires a high amp 12V source, and very few boats have that.

However if your determined, all it takes to make a 120V Watermaker run off of 12V is an inverter, you don’t have to change to a 12V motor. That way when you determine that being able to make water requires the big motor and big alternator isn’t exactly what you want, it’s easy to give in and buy a Honda.
Of course if you have an efficient 12V Watermaker, then you can maybe run it off of your Solar if you have enough.
my powersurvivor35 runs off 1/4 of my available solar but it only produces about 1.5 gallons per hour so not the most efficient at about 5 amp draw .
So just over 3 amps per gallon but seems to work good for a small boat cruiser.
( didn't hurt it cost me 200 USD to get it either)
Old 14-08-2018, 14:38   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

@CarinaPro

Interesting video on seawaterpro.com. Especially if one has a Kärcher already.

How long does the Kärcher last when pumping saltwater for a few hours per day?? Does one flush it after each operation?

Apart from that, the running kit is very noisy.
Any experience if others systems are more quiet?

Prices for the proposed kit are great though.
Old 14-08-2018, 14:47   #24

I have no personal experience with the linked RO system. One of my friends did talk to the owner of the company and was told that the Karcher pump was very reliable so he didn't recommend spending the extra money on the other pump.

Greg
Old 14-08-2018, 15:09   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you build a pressure washer based water maker, carry a spare pressure washer.
Old 14-08-2018, 15:18   #26

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Good point a64.

Guess I'll write an email to Kärcher to see their take on this.

Personally I think it sounds interesting, but I feel also a fair bit of buy cheap buy twice in it.
Old 14-08-2018, 15:34   #27

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Very happy with our H2O On The Go makes 20 L per hour 12 V
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 16:10   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Good point a64.

Guess I'll write an email to Kärcher to see their take on this.

Personally I think it sounds interesting, but I feel also a fair bit of buy cheap buy twice in it.

I’d want to see the pressure vessel.
The rest of a Watermaker ought to be readily available off the shelf stuff, but I haven’t seen RO pressure vessels in the local hardware store.
But if the rest of it works well, then nothing says that later you can’t get a decent motor/pump.
The Karchers I have had were very noisy, and just hearing them run, they didn’t sound like continuous duty things to me.
Old 14-08-2018, 16:13   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’d want to see the pressure vessel.
The rest of a Watermaker ought to be readily available off the shelf stuff, but I haven’t seen RO pressure vessels in the local hardware store.
But if the rest of it works well, then nothing says that later you can’t get a decent motor/pump.
The Karchers I have had were very noisy, and just hearing them run, they didn’t sound like continuous duty things to me.
here is their pressure vessel supplier
https://www.appliedmembranes.com/fib...-housings.html
Old 14-08-2018, 16:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

You can always choose the other more expensive pump if it makes you feel more comfortable - being cheap is your choice. Otherwise it looks like typical RO components, at a price reflecting the cost rather than "marine" pricing.

Greg

Tags
water, watermaker