Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 01:52   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Max Prop repair services

While hauling out in the Azores, the yard managed to get the strap under our prop. The prop, shaft, and cutless bearing were all damaged. Two of the blades were badly bent, and the feathering mechanism has a rough spot in it like a gear may have deformed.

I need to send our Max Prop in for assessment and repair. I know that Darglow in the UK offers this service, and that the Max Prop factory is in Italy. There is also a facility in the US, but I think I need to stay on this side of the Atlantic for expediency and to avoid customs issues. So, I need to decide where to send the prop.

Does anyone have any experience with Darglow or any of the other repair facilities?

Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 10:20   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Max Prop repair services

I would contact PYI in the US and ask them. They would be the "best" place to send it in for repair, but given your current location they should at least be able to give you their thoughts on the other vendors.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 10:38   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I would contact PYI in the US and ask them. They would be the "best" place to send it in for repair, but given your current location they should at least be able to give you their thoughts on the other vendors.
I second this idea. I contacted PYI to find out who they recommended in my area. They knew exactly who to talk to here and that firm did a great job.

OTH - I sent my Maxprop back to PYI for a major factory rebuild after 2500 hours of usage. They did all their new factory built measurements and checks and returned the prop to "factory new" specs. As I recall, it only cost me $250 plus shipping.

I would consider sending yours to PYI (or the Western Europe distributor) - that internal gear set and feathering mechanism is pretty complicated and delicate.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 14:22   #4

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

a +1 , or is that a +3?.. to contacting PYI directly..

They are extremely friendly and helpful and service is quick.. I am confident that they will be able to help you find the most suitable repair centre
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service