Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 10:54   #16

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Twin Engine 8'6" Express Cruiser?

Forget about twins on a small, narrow, trailerable boat. A single screw will be twice as reliable and half the maintenance, as well as having room to get at the engine for service. Besides the single screw is protected behind the keel. Add a kicker outboard for emergency get-home power.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 14:02   #17

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

This may fit your budget...

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 14:27   #18
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Not an express cruiser but have a look at a Commander 26. excellent boats and came with twins. May have been the 3L 4 banger in twins and single V8. Some of the singles have since been converted to diesel stern drives.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:53   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve Mills.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:19   #20

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

How about the Glacier Bays, Twin Vee or World Cats with a cabin. Those catamarans will always come with twin outboards.

I am thinking they make a 28 - 30' that is still 8.5' wide.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 20:35   #21

thank you everyone for your replys. I have looked at google images for every one of the boats recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Check out a Formula with single or twins, you can always add an outboard kicker to get you home. Two engines = two repair bills. I cannot remember the last time I met a lobsterman whose boat had two engines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Forget about twins on a small, narrow, trailerable boat. A single screw will be twice as reliable and half the maintenance, as well as having room to get at the engine for service. Besides the single screw is protected behind the keel. Add a kicker outboard for emergency get-home power.

Those two posts have me thinking hard. Now, I'm used to wrenching in tight spaces. I've worked on quite a few V Drive wakeboard boats where the entire accessory drive is put as close to the transom as possible to save precious floor space. I carry extensive tools... hoping that because I have them on board I'll never need them. But if a single engine is the way to go... these boats have a single engine option as well.......
beretta5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:11   #22

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
Hey boatpoker... as a marine surveyor have you come across bayliner cruisers with leaking fuel tanks? On the bayliner owners forum there seems to be a high percentage that are dealing with that very situation. Plenty have had to cut up their decks, remove engines, etc. to solve the problem.
. . . disagree here, been on that forum board for some time now and think we may have had 3 or 4 in the past 7 years and they're on older boats with the aluminum tanks . . . that's a problem for any manufacturer . . . does or has it happened - yes but it's not a "high percentage" . . . it's actually fairly easy to cut up the deck, never heard of anyone having to remove engines though . . . my 2452 (up for sale) has the fiber tank so that's not an issue (year 2003)
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:33   #23

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Someone mentioned the Formula. The 26 PC is a great boat but I think 93-94 was the last year. Could be had with twin 4.3. Nice running boat.

The 4.3 are great engines parts are easy good power to weight.

I agree more choices in a single engine and working around the engines is easier. Years ago we had a couple of Formula 29PC with twin 454's in them, there was basically no room in between in front or in back of the engines.

I know a fiberglass repair guy who has owned a early 2000's 26 rinker for years he always has good things to say about it but I have never been onboard one.

Some one else mentioned doral The couple I have been on where really well laid out and put together.
Old 08-08-2017, 18:35   #24

Boat: 2000 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Hi! Im from Montreal. Look for 2000 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer with twin 4.3 L good choice.
deaufaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 00:21   #25

Boat: Scout 30

These days most builders are going to outboards on brackets for power. More reliable, less maintenance, frees up a bunch of room in the boat & gets the noise outside of the hull. Plus, with Boat US & Sea Tow pretty much everywhere you don't need the added cost & maintenance of 2 motors. Personally I'd recommend something more seaworthy & fuel efficient than an express cruiser. The Rosborough 246 & C-Dory 25 are a couple of easily trailered seaworthy boats.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 08:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
These days most builders are going to outboards on brackets for power. More reliable, less maintenance, frees up a bunch of room in the boat & gets the noise outside of the hull. Plus, with Boat US & Sea Tow pretty much everywhere you don't need the added cost & maintenance of 2 motors. Personally I'd recommend something more seaworthy & fuel efficient than an express cruiser. The Rosborough 246 & C-Dory 25 are a couple of easily trailered seaworthy boats.
replacement 250 HP outboards = about $20k each
A replacement GM 350 long block is about $1600 and up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 08:17   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Are you going to be fishing from the boat? You might want a different afterdeck layout if so.

Stay away from the older Bayliners. They were poorly constructed. They also used garbage like chrome plated zinc deck hardware etc.

Some of the C-Dory's have a completely flat bottom making for a very harsh ride in any amount of chop. Don't let that traditional looking seaworthy hull shape above the waterline fool you.

As for quality, Sea Rays rank high up there as do Cobalts.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 08:28   #28

I sold an old bayliner 23 last year. It was built like brick S**thouse. I drilled a hole to mount a switch in the dash board... the glass was nearly 1/2" thick!
Most all those popular boats use the same lousy or sometimes decent hardware, depending on the year and mood.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:35   #29

I have a single mercruiser 350/260 in my wellcraft. More darn reliable than my 2004 truck and it's an original 1983 block. No joke. I plan on making runs to Bimini from ft Lauderdale. But will have a kicker for safety. And hell seatow tows up to 50 miles offshore.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, engine, express cruiser