Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45   #1

Twin Engine 8'6" Express Cruiser?

Hello Cruisers...

I'm from Canada.... and spent my life on a plethora of inland lakes. Rather than purchase an RV I'm interested in purchasing an express cruiser. (I have spent my life on waterski boats and now it's time to mature a bit hehehe)

I want to be able to tow with relative ease. To not have to worry about getting permits and being overwidth on these narrow winding roads. This makes an 8'6" beam preferable.

I like the idea of twin 4.3's powering the vessel for redundancy sake. Then if I make it to the coast and wish to do some offshore I will be a touch more confident in the vessel. I do my own maintenance so I have no issue with the extra engine.

So far I've only found two models:
1985-1989 Sea Ray 268 sundancer (kind of dated styling) I like the layout of this model below deck a little better though.
1999-2006 Regal 2660 - 2765 ( I really like the styling of this model)

Is there any other make/model I should add to the list?
Or are there any other questions I should be asking myself in regards to a purchase like this?
Thanks in advance

WDKinley
beretta5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Twin Engine 8'6" Express Cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
Hello Cruisers...

I'm from Canada.... and spent my life on a plethora of inland lakes. Rather than purchase an RV I'm interested in purchasing an express cruiser. (I have spent my life on waterski boats and now it's time to mature a bit hehehe)

I want to be able to tow with relative ease. To not have to worry about getting permits and being overwidth on these narrow winding roads. This makes an 8'6" beam preferable.

I like the idea of twin 4.3's powering the vessel for redundancy sake. Then if I make it to the coast and wish to do some offshore I will be a touch more confident in the vessel. I do my own maintenance so I have no issue with the extra engine.

So far I've only found two models:
1985-1989 Sea Ray 268 sundancer (kind of dated styling) I like the layout of this model below deck a little better though.
1999-2006 Regal 2660 - 2765 ( I really like the styling of this model)

Is there any other make/model I should add to the list?
Or are there any other questions I should be asking myself in regards to a purchase like this?
Thanks in advance

WDKinley
Take a hard look at the engine compartment ventilation on the Regal it is just stoopid right from the factory. Take a look at the first two photos in this article, you'll recognize the Regal
Old 04-08-2017, 09:02   #3

One thing I found on my trailerable powerboat was the outside space is most important to me. If it's not a real comfortable layout it drives me nuts. In a perfect world, I would like sleeping and head below and galley, table and the rest up. It's rare to find that until you get to maybe 30 ft or so though.
It's a cave down there, stuffy and you cant see out.
Other thoughts:
-I had comfy chairs and folding table in the cockpit. Unfortunately this interfered every time you lifted the engine cover which was huge. It would be nice to have a split engine cover, or at least room to stand on the cockpit floor to open the cover while under way to peek.
-Boat gas engines wear out very fast compared with automobiles... keep that in mind. They work very hard compared with cars. I've seen them look clean and nice, but if you remove the oil filler cap they are pushing a lot of air out the crackcase as the rings are wore out.
-One very widely used engine is the GM 350 block. You can get a new/rebuilt long block for $1600 because there are so many in use. Other makes and less used models may be a lot more $.
-I like the idea of dual engines, I felt at risk having only one engine also at times.... being a sailor. At least have a good strong kicker with remote controls to get you home.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:04   #4

That is a fantastic post Mr. Poker. I'm not afraid to do modifications... so this is one of the modifications I would definitely consider. All it would take is moving the intake.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:09   #5

Thank you Cheechako.

Your post is quite sensible.

The 4.3 was also marinized for plenty of years by both Merc and Volvo so there are plenty of parts as well. It's actually a 5.7 liter 350 block with two cylinders chopped off if you weren't aware.

I have a Ski Nautique with 1400 hours that still tows me like a dream. It's all in how you maintain!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:23   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
One thing I found on my trailerable powerboat was the outside space is most important to me. If it's not a real comfortable layout it drives me nuts. In a perfect world, I would like sleeping and head below and galley, table and the rest up. It's rare to find that until you get to maybe 30 ft or so though.
Completely agree .... How about a Bayliner 28
Old 04-08-2017, 09:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Completely agree .... How about a Bayliner 28
The 2858 sedan (pictured) and 2859 (non aft cabin cruiser) are on the same hull. 10' wide... 8100 pounds dr (nearly 2000 lb more than the regal 2660-2765)... did not come with twins AFAIK.

now, I'm actually a fan of the 2452 bayliner (same layout as the sea ray 268 minus the aft cabin) ... however, only one engine and the horror stories of having to replace fuel tanks on these things scares me considering how involved the replacement is.

Thanks for the idea though!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

or a Mainship 28
Old 04-08-2017, 10:04   #9

Whoa nelly! That mainship is a 31 footer at 16000 lb! 12 foot beam. That would be a dream to own.

It's definitely out of my budget and I would want a semi to tow it hahaha
Old 04-08-2017, 14:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
or a Mainship 28
Hey boatpoker... as a marine surveyor have you come across bayliner cruisers with leaking fuel tanks? On the bayliner owners forum there seems to be a high percentage that are dealing with that very situation. Plenty have had to cut up their decks, remove engines, etc. to solve the problem.
Old 04-08-2017, 15:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
Hey boatpoker... as a marine surveyor have you come across bayliner cruisers with leaking fuel tanks? On the bayliner owners forum there seems to be a high percentage that are dealing with that very situation. Plenty have had to cut up their decks, remove engines, etc. to solve the problem.
It can be common on many of the cruisers, not just Bayliner. The stringers on many are wood covered in glass, and under the tanks, those rot also.
Also, watch for water logged sterns... many makers put a ply core in the stern, then cut the hole for the outdrive and try to seal it. Also, added accessories on the back, the screws leak into the core. (swim steps and planing levelers)
The only maker I'm aware of that didnt have the stern and many other issues is Tollycraft. They went out of business as the owner cared and did things right.
There were a couple 26 Tollys, the earlier ones might be narrow enough for easy trailering. But are getting ancient.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 19:10   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Check out a Formula with single or twins, you can always add an outboard kicker to get you home. Two engines = two repair bills. I cannot remember the last time I met a lobsterman whose boat had two engines
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:45   #13

With two V-6's in an 8'6" beam there will be very little, if any room in the engine bay to work. Search some of the owner forums like GlasPly, Tolly. Sea Ray, Bayliner to get some good information. You may decide to go to outboard power. As mentioned, older boat's with wood stringers, cockpit soles and transom are prone to rot if water has intruded.
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:47   #14

I'm not sure what an express cruiser is but two boats that may fit your criteria are the rosborough 246 with twin outboards and the cdory 25 with twin outboards.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:29   #15

You will have a tough time finding a cruiser with twin engines in an 8'6" beam. The Doral 280 SC Prestancia is probably the best layout of any cruiser that size. Another bonus is it was Canadian made and very high quality. Unfortunately Doral suffered the same fate as other boat builders during the crash of 2008. I would have no hesitation buying one.
Steve Mills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, engine, express cruiser