Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 00:56   #76

Re: Toilet paper and head cog

After spending a lot of time in Greece with TP bins in the marina, public and restaurant toilets, you learn that putting TP in a bag lined bin does not seem so gross, especially when I'm solo.

Fitting shock cords to the wall to hold the bin and stop it from falling over and spilling the contents was a big improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-05-2016, 06:32   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

Brazil, Greece, Portugal ...

In Spain you see those yukie bins even in very modern facilities. They tend to build very wee toilet booths so you are often sitting with your face in the bin. They do not use any lids or anything most of the time.

I never put my used paper there. I never clogged a toiled either. How odd.

One more proof the whole UE thing is a humbag. You pay heaps so that someone can keep on torturing their bulls in public and then they have even more fun having you face their ****.

No wonder the Brits are going to opt out. ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:41   #78

I'd rather confront a "yuckie bin" than to ever face or more accurately, turn my back on one of these again

I have bad knees and cannot come close to squatting enough to use these safely
Old 09-05-2016, 07:04   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Toilet paper and head cog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I'd rather confront a "yuckie bin" than to ever face or more accurately, turn my back on one of these again

I have bad knees and cannot come close to squatting enough to use these safely
That's why the Afghans keep kicking the **** out of everyone.. good Toilet Training and constant practice keeps them fit..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:26   #80

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
it's simply a fact that in many countries the old sewer pipes are not sized to deal with tons of paper
I can assure you, a large clay like pooper is much more likely to clog a pipe than a little TP. Keep to 6 squares or less and you won't clog a pipe in any nation. The only clogs I have ever had in my home were caused by big poops (hot water works best) and small toys going down with the ship (my youngsters playing battleship in an unsavory body of water). Its the use of too much paper, often wrapped around and around the hand or other items not really intended for the toilet that cause problems. But I get them using a trash can to combat toilet ignorance. I just will never use it.

Quote:
I used squat toilets in China and I was a bit surprised at first but it's no big deal
Its no big deal if you can squat with your ass inches above the floor, but the taller and bigger you get, the harder it becomes. I have been to China too and lucky for me, most public toilets, even in the countryside had at least one sit down toilet installed. And they are changing fast. TP is all the rage in third world nations. Using one's hand, although "handy" in an emergency need not be the norm.

I like to travel and I come prepared. I carry biodegradable wipes which are even better than TP. So there is no need to use my hand, or hoses, or corn cobs or whatever the locals might be using. As I carry a back pack perhaps something like this tied on might be useful.
http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-4B-P...dp/B000K6HN22/
When using a squat toilet with this, just don't use the bag.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:04   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

In Spain you see those yukie bins even in very modern facilities. They tend to build very wee toilet booths so you are often sitting with your face in the bin. They do not use any lids or anything most of the time.

One more proof the whole UE thing is a humbag. You pay heaps so that someone can keep on torturing their bulls in public and then they have even more fun having you face their ****.

b.
I lived in Spain for three years and never once saw bins next to the toilet.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:20   #82

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have yet to have a non-sailing guest able to understand how much pumping is needed, even when I showed them the actual pipe run from the head to the thru-hull. Then, after having to clear a clogged pipe at sea half way from St. Martin to Marsh Harbour I started enforcing the rule - no paper in the head. I give them brown paper sandwich bags so they can each have an individual bag of poo paper to throw overboard. What fun!! See how long it remains visible!! Whose sinks the fastest!!! Where will the over-under be on sink time? What else do you have to do half way to Marsh Harbour?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:10   #83

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt View Post
You gotta be sh**ting me!

It's OK for a billion people to flush tons of stuff down various types of 'sanitation systems', yet you are worried about reusing a couple of shees of single ply that will self-destruct in the vast ocean ( 2/3 of the planet ) in a couple days max?

Get a life.
No I'm not shitting you, and yes I have a life, more so than most on here. And I would like to pass what I have on to the future. I've motorcycled and bicycled, backpacked and canoed all over this country. Now I'm getting ready to sail around the world. It's the people like you that think that we can't destroy this earth by what we do that's the problem. People that shot all the buffalo, the dodo birds and hundreds of other extinct animals, destroyed our forests, paved all the meadows, burned all the fossil fuels, that took millions of years to make and 100 years to use up. And then these people wonder why we have carbon problems in our air, when we have released billions of years of stored carbon in one century, etc, etc.

That fiber came from a tree, that fiber ends up in the ocean, that fiber cost money, that fiber can plug your plumbing system, how many reasons do I have to give to make you understand that what I do might be reasonable.

My reusing the old wad with some new paper on top actually does a better job of wiping because it's like using a huge wad in the first place. It saves money, the environment, and needs less storage space on the boat. Try it before you open your mouth and insert your foot.
Old 09-05-2016, 13:42   #84
CLOD

Boat: none

It appears that TP makes some people crazy!
Old 09-05-2016, 14:38   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's why the Afghans keep kicking the **** out of everyone.. good Toilet Training and constant practice keeps them fit..
Sometimes you are funny as hell!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 14:45   #86

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
The standard protocol for almost all of us is...

If you didn't eat it or drink it, it doesn't go in the head... toilet paper included...
I don't believe that is the "standard protocol". I believe most of us use single ply toilet paper and flush it just as we would at home.

The West Marine paper is designed to dissolve easily but single ply paper from the grocery store works as well and is less expensive. There's a way to test TP by putting it in a glass of water (unused paper) and seeing if it dissolves.

I've been using "Scotts" brand single ply paper for many years with no clogging issues. There's no way I would bag used toilet paper and no way I would ask guests to do so.
Old 09-05-2016, 14:57   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
I would like to know on what God forsaken Portuguese mountain trail you were to have experienced this? [emoji14]

I only live here for like 30 years but I admit I'm not too fond of visiting forgotten villages in the deep northeast so my knowledge might be incomplete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I lived in Spain for three years and never once saw bins next to the toilet.
Same here. Not in Spain or Portugal.

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:02   #88

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
No I'm not shitting you, and yes I have a life, more so than most on here. And I would like to pass what I have on to the future. I've motorcycled and bicycled, backpacked and canoed all over this country. Now I'm getting ready to sail around the world. It's the people like you that think that we can't destroy this earth by what we do that's the problem. People that shot all the buffalo, the dodo birds and hundreds of other extinct animals, destroyed our forests, paved all the meadows, burned all the fossil fuels, that took millions of years to make and 100 years to use up. And then these people wonder why we have carbon problems in our air, when we have released billions of years of stored carbon in one century, etc, etc.

That fiber came from a tree, that fiber ends up in the ocean, that fiber cost money, that fiber can plug your plumbing system, how many reasons do I have to give to make you understand that what I do might be reasonable.

My reusing the old wad with some new paper on top actually does a better job of wiping because it's like using a huge wad in the first place. It saves money, the environment, and needs less storage space on the boat. Try it before you open your mouth and insert your foot.
If you want to reuse second hand toilet paper you go for it you and all your friends who visit you on your boat

But don't go carrying on about extinct animals, saving the trees and the environment and all that stuff pretending that you using second hand toilet paper makes a shred of difference to saving the worlds environmental problems. I and many (possibly most) boaters are more environmentally conscious than most. And WE don't need to reuse toilet paper

I'm still wondering if your really serious or not.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:05   #89

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
.................. My reusing the old wad with some new paper on top actually does a better job of wiping because it's like using a huge wad in the first place. It saves money, the environment, and needs less storage space on the boat. Try it before you open your mouth and insert your foot.
I think I've heard it all now, reusing used toilet paper. I used to tell people to use one side, then turn it over and use the other side, but it was a joke and they took it as such.

I didn't pay this much for a boat to act like I was in the woods camping. We poop, wipe and flush just like we were at home. The difference is the selection of toilet paper and we have to pump the toilet.

If you want to reuse toilet paper, that's fine with me. The amount of money saved is pretty insignificant as is the damage to the environment.
Old 09-05-2016, 15:38   #90

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

This is not a joke, I am completely serious about this.

Just because you spent a lot of money on your boat does not make it OK to make waste of the world. I don't expect many to consider this, but I do offer it as a reasonable alternative. I do it and works great for me. And if you might not consider it reasonable to put your wad in a bag, or quite possibly let it dry and reuse it as a base for the next wad, then you are not welcome to **** on my boat. That's fine. Every little thing when multiplied by millions is no longer little, I'm sure the person that shot the last Dodo, figured it was no big deal. just like the thousands before him that had also killed them. It's no big deal to fill up my huge gas guzzling vehicle with fossil fuel, it's just a little thing, but when done millions if times a day, it's called air pollution. It's why I ride a Honda 90 motorcycle, and built a folding side car to transport a 4kw generator a couple hundred miles back to my boat. It's also why I designed and built a full size bicycle with full size wheels that folds up to airport carry on luggage, even the wheels disassemble. It's why I rode a weedwacker powered bicycle from Kansas to Florida on $22 of gas. I do this to save fuel, show it can be done, and also for the adventure. Yes I do have a life. One of these gas saving conveyances will travel with me on the boat.

Your TP is no big thing, but everybodies TP is a big thing. TP is big business, I'm showing how it could be a little smaller business.

Tags
head, oil