Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 00:33   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Toilet paper and head cog

If you wad it will clog, if you fold it will do so much less.

Toilet paper is fabricated from natural fibres and fibre in a diet is good for the digestion?

Since we have built dams on all the rivers the marine environment is not receiving any where near as much carbonaceous material from flushed down leaf litter as it formerly did so we need to add it by flushing toilet paper rather than having it burnt as rubbish and adding to the CO2 in the atmosphere and causing global warming?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 00:58   #62

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If you must 'bag' it put it in an empty plastic juice bottle. Thats what I do with all my non biodegradable waste these days except tin cans... they don't fit down hole...

Edit... I neither 'bag' nor 'bottle' my bog paper.....

I find the main problem .. apart from sheilas putting manhole covers down the bog ( only happened to me once and once was enough) ... is that people just don't pump sufficiently and you end up with a log jam of turds for the entire length of the discharge pipe.
Plenty pumping also clears all the urine out of the line so you don't get that salt water/urine reaction hardening your bog's arteries.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:00   #63

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If you wad it will clog, if you fold it will do so much less.

Toilet paper is fabricated from natural fibres and fibre in a diet is good for the digestion?

Since we have built dams on all the rivers the marine environment is not receiving any where near as much carbonaceous material from flushed down leaf litter as it formerly did so we need to add it by flushing toilet paper rather than having it burnt as rubbish and adding to the CO2 in the atmosphere and causing global warming?
Did you have to mention the GW thingy you know who the thread is going to attract now

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 13:47   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Did you have to mention the GW thingy you know who the thread is going to attract now

We'll be OK, they are all busy on the thread about sea level rising. I will admit though, to a moment of unease when I typed it in.
Old 08-05-2016, 13:52   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

We'll be OK, they are all busy on the thread about sea level rising. I will admit though, to a moment of unease when I typed it in.
Old 08-05-2016, 18:22   #66

Boat: Lots of boats.

Was in Brazil recently and I'm in a modern building with modern toilets and there is this little trash can in each stall. I opened it up just once. Full of poo paper and it stunk to high heaven. Sorry folks, my paper went down the modern toilet without a whimper. Never opened another toilet "trash" can after that. They just need to get used to using toilet paper. Breaks down lots easier than some of the craps people shove down those pipes.

One day the whole world will use toilets and toilet paper. No more playing bombardier over holes in the floor. Can you imagine having explosive diarrhea over some little hole in the floor? You aren't just going to spray the floor, you are going to spray the back of your legs and shoes. A toilet, even with its own issues is WAY more civilized than that! :-)
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 18:30   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Was in Brazil recently and I'm in a modern building with modern toilets and there is this little trash can in each stall. I opened it up just once. Full of poo paper and it stunk to high heaven. Sorry folks, my paper went down the modern toilet without a whimper. Never opened another toilet "trash" can after that. They just need to get used to using toilet paper. Breaks down lots easier than some of the craps people shove down those pipes.

One day the whole world will use toilets and toilet paper. No more playing bombardier over holes in the floor. Can you imagine having explosive diarrhea over some little hole in the floor? You aren't just going to spray the floor, you are going to spray the back of your legs and shoes. A toilet, even with its own issues is WAY more civilized than that! :-)
I agree with your first paragraph, but your second one What a rediculous ethnocentric comment. Your clearly talking about squat toilets. There is a significant argument that squat toilets are far far cleaner and more hygenic than our western sit on toilets because they are no touch toilets. They just have to be cleaned properly and as usual neat and tidy bathrooms. And if you spray the back of your legs and shoes, then I suggest you squat and not just bend over. Your obviously doing it wrong
Old 08-05-2016, 18:57   #68

Boat: Lots of boats.

I simply cannot squat that low. Last time I could squat like that was probably when I was 15 years old. Also, I don't have the balance to poo in that position, let alone clean up. I seriously doubt I could stand back up without putting my hands down. Even when camping, I find a log to sit on. So these things are certainly not for me. And I'm not alone. I've had lots of friends visit India and similar countries, and just like me, if they can't find a normal toilet, they are in trouble. I've been lucky so far, but I know as I continue to age and still travel, its just a matter of time before I get caught a little too far from a friendly harbor.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 18:59   #69

Boat: Tartan 37

Scotts single ply breaks down super fast and is priced ok. Dealing with waste on a boat is tough enough without adding another thing to get rid of.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 19:17   #70

Quote:
I simply cannot squat that low. Last time I could squat like that was probably when I was 15 years old. Also, I don't have the balance to poo in that position, let alone clean up. I seriously doubt I could stand back up without putting my hands down. Even when camping, I find a log to sit on. So these things are certainly not for me. And I'm not alone. I've had lots of friends visit India and similar countries, and just like me, if they can't find a normal toilet, they are in trouble. I've been lucky so far, but I know as I continue to age and still travel, its just a matter of time before I get caught a little too far from a friendly harbor.
well, this is a different matter. Your difficulties of being unable to squat are very valid and are as a result of a reliance on western toilets. And many western persons find themselves in the same situation. People, even the elderly from nations where squat toilets are the norm, do not experience the same problems as you do, because they are used to it.

But this is an entirely different prospect than your initial claim that it's not civilised to have anything but western sit on toilets.
Old 08-05-2016, 20:37   #71

Quote:

It's not about whether or not people like or dislike toilet paper or how a toilet is designed it's simply a fact that in many countries the old sewer pipes are not sized to deal with tons of paper going through them and there for you see the little cans in the stalls for toilet paper. I used squat toilets in China and I was a bit surprised at first but it's no big deal. It's a big world out there and they don't all dance to the tune of America. Expect to be introduced to many different ideas and experiences or stay home where you are most comfortable.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 21:49   #72
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
It's not about whether or not people like or dislike toilet paper or how a toilet is designed it's simply a fact that in many countries the old sewer pipes are not sized to deal with tons of paper going through them and there for you see the little cans in the stalls for toilet paper. I used squat toilets in China and I was a bit surprised at first but it's no big deal. It's a big world out there and they don't all dance to the tune of America. Expect to be introduced to many different ideas and experiences or stay home where you are most comfortable.
To squat, or not to squat, that is the question...
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 23:29   #73

Boat: Westerly Sealord

...and bum guns are the answer.. How to use a bum gun (with video tutorial)
Old 09-05-2016, 00:06   #74

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

It's not just yachts....

I was recently on Polar Pioneer, Antarctica. (50 Pax expedition ship) Her ageing pipes clog in a heartbeat, so it is now on a 'no paper down the head' regime.

I would NOT want the job of the staff to be emptying those bins twice a day.....

But other than a special case like that, I'm in the 'just flush the paper' camp. Don't see the issue, and yes the head pipes will need maintenance every so often. What on a boat dosn't ? More water per flush. Bit of vinegar every so often, done.

Rgds
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 00:14   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
It's not just yachts....

I was recently on Polar Pioneer, Antarctica. (50 Pax expedition ship) Her ageing pipes clog in a heartbeat, so it is now on a 'no paper down the head' regime.

I would NOT want the job of the staff to be emptying those bins twice a day.....

But other than a special case like that, I'm in the 'just flush the paper' camp. Don't see the issue, and yes the head pipes will need maintenance every so often. What on a boat dosn't ? More water per flush. Bit of vinegar every so often, done.

Rgds
And a splash of vegetable oil.

Tags
head, oil