Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 14:38   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)
Thoughts on the Mercury Four-Stroke 9.9hp Outboard ?

Gudday!

(Hope this is the appropriate forum).

Have the opportunity to purchase a mercury 4 stroke 9.9 hp outboard for $1,500 with only 43 miles on it. Comes with lifting gear, jerry cans and a few other things. Does anyone have any experience with this motor they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We've had ours for about 2 years. Paid $1370 for it, brand new, from Academy. It was a floor model, but new.

This is a great engine. Seriously, starts nearly flawlessly (OK, sometimes I'm so confident that it will start that I take a leisurely tug on it and it doesn't start).

I guess the only thing I don't like is that over the years I've gotten used to shifting on the side of the engine, rather than on the shaft.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:26   #3

I just purchased a 3.5hp I hope the 9.9 is better. On a 7 ft Livingston catamaran fiberglass dinghy(80lbs) it will barely plane with myself on board.add a second person and forget anything above 1/3rd throttle. but what really cooked my goose was 2 trips ashore (150) yds and the onboard tank was empty
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
I just purchased a 3.5hp I hope the 9.9 is better. On a 7 ft Livingston catamaran fiberglass dinghy(80lbs) it will barely plane with myself on board.add a second person and forget anything above 1/3rd throttle. but what really cooked my goose was 2 trips ashore (150) yds and the onboard tank was empty
Being honest - our problem with our 9.9 is that the gas in the tank gets old. I swear it doesn't use fuel...

I wouldn't expect an 80 lb dinghy to plane with a 3.5...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Being honest - our problem with our 9.9 is that the gas in the tank gets old. I swear it doesn't use fuel...

I wouldn't expect an 80 lb dinghy to plane with a 3.5...
fair enough I had a walker bay 8' with a 4hp 2 stroke that would scoot. I expected the cat to move as well. Everyone says they dont use fuel...time to upgrade to a 9.9
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 23:00   #6

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
I dont think many people would expect a 3.5 to really plane. Particularly not on a catamaran style hull. maybe on a surfboard with an 8year old driver lol.

All that size motor is really designed for is to putt putt you to and from shore. I have a mariner 3.5 for my 8ft tender. We get around 30-40 mins motoring out of it depending on the loads.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05   #7

Thanks for all the feedback, I love this forum!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:17   #8

Boat: Allures 44
For what it's worth, I believe that all the small Mercuries (9.9 included) are now the same engines as the Tohatsus.

Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
How old is the engine? Have you tested it? How do you know how many hours "miles" it has?

I would definitely put it on a small boat and test it with a load. Seeing that it runs with mouse ears attached may not be good enough.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 18:45   #10

Thanks, David, I think I'm going to pass on this outboard for now, but thanks for the feedback. On a much more exciting note, it looks like I'll be taking ownership of my new boat on the 13th!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03   #11

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
For what it's worth, I believe that all the small Mercuries (9.9 included) are now the same engines as the Tohatsus.

Colin
Agreed. I compared a Tohatsu and Merc 5 yesterday and aside from the stickers and fuel switch they were identical.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:36   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
We had a Mercury 9.9 20" shaft for a few years, and it ran flawlessly.

Recently sold it and bought a new Nissan 9.8 (same as Mercury and Tohatsu) with a 25" shaft and an alternator. It also runs flawlessly. The 9.8 weighs about 25 lbs less than the 9.9, which I believe is really the 15HP motor with different carburetion. For our boat, that weight savings out on the transom was significant to the trim of the boat. And the deeper prop is wonderful when bashing into a head sea.

Both motors at less than half throttle will push our (5000 lb. -- relatively lightweight) 31' boat at 5 knots, and 15 statute miles per gallon. If we're in a hurry and want to do 6 or 7 knots, the mileage goes down to maybe 10 mpg.

Good machines all around -- treat them right and they'll treat you right. Sea Foam in the gas, regular oil changes, fresh water flush the cooling system whenever possible, fog the cylinders before winter layup, etc.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:34   #13

Awesome feedback, much thanks!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have a Mercury 6hp and it has ran flawlessly. The only time it didn't start was when I lent it to a friend and he didn't run the engine dry before storing it. When I came back to the boat a month later I couldn't get it to start. I flushed new fuel thru it and then it started no problem.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Charlie,
Gasoline formulated for use in California is notorious for fouling carburetors. California gasoline cannot be left in carburetors for long periods.

With the boats at work that have carburetors, when done with the boat we require that the user of the boat shut off the fuel supply and run the engine until it burns all of the fuel out of the carburetors. The only outboards that do not have this problem are the ones with fuel injection.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, mercury, outboard