Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55   #1

Smile Retiring in the South Pacific

If I were to retire in Fiji and I wanted to have someone cruise my
blue-water capable diesel trawler there from the US ,how would I go about finding interested parties and how much will it cost me (approx)
its a bit off yet but I am getting close enough to start planning
waugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, waugs.

I'd expect a delivery crew to cost over $10,000 + expenses for that delivery.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving
I will do it for free if I can stay onboard as a guest for several months afterwords in Fiji
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28   #4

I will definitely call you first when the time comes
and I will buy your airfare home
Old 08-12-2010, 12:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waugs View Post
I will definitely call you first when the time comes
and I will buy your airfare home

just for you info I hold a 100 ton master power/steam,sail, 200 ton mate power/steam/sail, Ab unlimited and am almost finished with my 3r mate unlimited,,, testing in 6 months for that,,, by late next year I should have a 1600 ton master, power,sail,steam, 2nd mate unlimited license with oceans endorsement on it,,, will need a break from work and school then and fiji sound nice for several months
Old 08-12-2010, 12:50   #6

WOW
serious commitment too say the least
Old 08-12-2010, 13:25   #7

I look at it this way,,, how many time can you take another persons yacht down to the S.P. from the US, island hop along the way,,, and get to spend a little free time in fiji,, yes I know i cold get paid but it will be a little vacation,,,lots of photography, some island you rarely get to visit,,, we can discuss the particulars when you get closer,,,,,
captainken@chefken.com
Old 09-12-2010, 04:48   #8

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
I have a NY state drivers license and when we had cattle, I was almost as good at spreading manure as certain 'expert' cruisers are, but captainken may be a better choice for this trip. I do make good jerky.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:10   #9

fools abound

why is it everywhere you go there are people who just can't help but stomp a thread without contributing. If you are just looking out for others and you know the DEFENDANT to be guilty , IM , PM , or EMAIL the uninformed. Otherwise try to show some self restraint. You see the DEFENDANT has been civil and informative, you , Just childish.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17   #10

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by waugs View Post
why is it everywhere you go there are people who just can't help but stomp a thread without contributing. If you are just looking out for others and you know the DEFENDANT to be guilty , IM , PM , or EMAIL the uninformed. Otherwise try to show some self restraint. You see the DEFENDANT has been civil and informative, you , Just childish.

This wasn't directed at anyone specifically.
Just having a little childish fun.
Have a nice day.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:30   #11

Fair enough, I just joined the forum so maybe I jumped the gun
it just seems like everywhere you go you just
can't get away from peoples B.S.
I look to forums for many things and it amazes me
how someone asks a question, and then there are 4 pages of
"as the world turns"
I thought that was starting here a mere 12 hours after I joined
if not I apologize for scolding you in front of the class
but a good laugh is always welcome.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47   #12

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
I've only recently been on the board, but long enough to see that most people are in general very good humored, helpful, and informative. Yes, I've seen some threads turn to debate, but generally we're all just a bunch of mates looking to help each other out and throw some fun into things when the occasion arises. As there is no "joke" font yet, I like to just assume the best until hostility becomes too overt to ignore. Then I just walk away. Haven't seen that on this board yet.

Pura Vida!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:53   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
waugs- Mentionable's

Have you researched Fuji as to moving there?

There are a lot of restrictions. Even a cruiser has to pay a fee to anchor off the shore for a period of time.

And when you say "blue-water capable diesel trawler" I'm hoping you mean it has enough fuel capacity to travel very long distances between ports.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Fiji freehold land (about 9% of the exiting landmass) is available for outright purchase through reputable sellers. This land can bought and sold by overseas buyers as individuals or can be put into trusts or companies. Free and clear titles are available for all properties, and the Fiji Lands Department monitors all sales of property in Fiji.

Incentives for Retirees and Overseas Investors in Fiji (2009)

A residence permit on assured income may be issued to a person who has assets, realizable to the satisfaction of the Director of Immigration, outside the Fiji Islands at his/her disposal of an amount sufficient to ensure that he/she will not become a charge on public funds. Permits in this category are normally issued to people who are not likely to apply to work in the Fiji Islands. They may invest in any business venture approved by the Fiji Islands Trade and Investment Bureau.

The policy on residence permit on assured income is as set out below:

* the principal applicant must be at least 45 years of age and carry health insurance; should have an assured income and should not seek employment in the Fiji Islands; must deposit a sum of $100,000.00 in a resident account of a local bank upon approval of the application; or purchased a property in the Fiji Islands, the sum of F$100,000.00 may be waived, however documentary proof of the purchase and value of property is required;
* an additional F$30,000.00 for a family of two (2) or F$40,000.00 for a family of up to five (5) members must be deposited annually in the resident account of a local bank; and
* the permit holder must obtain clearance from the Immigration Department for any repatriation of funds out of the country before the application is considered by the Reserve Bank of Fiji.

Guide to Fiji Retirement for overseas investors; Real Estate, Living, Legal Info

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:54   #15
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Have you researched Fuji as to moving there?

There are a lot of restrictions. Even a cruiser has to pay a fee to anchor off the shore for a period of time.

And when you say "blue-water capable diesel trawler" I'm hoping you mean it has enough fuel capacity to travel very long distances between ports.
????: There is no anchoring fee anywhere in Fiji except for Denarau Harbour. I think you may be confusing the custom of Sevusevu where a gift of Kava (about $10 worth) is presented to the village chief if you are anchoring and fishing in front of their village. In reality most of the decent anchorages in the popular cruising areas are taken up with established resorts or have been leased for future development and no Sevusevu is needed there. The Sevusevu itself is not compulsory but you will be welcomed to share in Kava drinking and meals etc. and it is a great ice breaker for meeting the locals. Generally you will receive something like fruit or fish in return if you are staying for a few days.
We anchored 52 times this season and only made Sevusevu about 8 times.
As far as retiring to Fiji is concerned you will be required to import the boat if you are on a residents permit but this has recently been reduced to 5%, however the sales tax also payable is increasing to 15% in January. You must also pay for a licensed valuer to assess market value.
Feel free to ask away, my work in Fiji revolves around this sort of thing. BTW, I also do deliveries
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific