Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 17:46   #1

Opinions on Transpac Eagle 40

Hi Seamen (and women),
We're considering the subject booat as out next and "final" cruiser. Might anyone have any opinions, likes or dislikes on this vessel?
Thanks in advance and happy motoring
Nordic32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 20:09   #2

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I looked at one in Florida when I was boat shopping last year. I did like it a lot, it is a beautiful boat, but we definitely wanted an aft cabin, We almost always drive from the flying bridge and I found it a bit small and didn't like the seating arrangement up there very much. The Eagle does have a lot of good points the pilot house is very nice as is the saloon.
I wound up buying a Monk 36 because of the aft cabin and I liked the Monk's FB better but I did like the Eagle 40 very much.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 20:48   #3

Steve, thanks for the feedback and I'm glad to hear you liked the Eagle other than it didn't fit your needs. Us on the other hand, would rather have a larger back cockpit than an aft cabin. I'm also completely sold on a pilot house design and think the Eagle fits that bill. I'm hoping the hull / roll / following sea characteristics of the Eagle make for a decent ride. The one we're lookikng at has the 220 hp Cummins which should be enough power for a 7-8 kt cruise with an affordable gph burn.
Thanks again for the input and all the best.
Tom
Old 17-09-2009, 09:27   #4

Boat: North Pacific Yachts Trawler 42'
Tom,

The Eagle is built in the same yard as my North Pacific 42. Overall quality is good, above the level you would expect in a boat of that price. I really like the Eagle 40 layout, but decided on the NP 42 based on a number of items. My boat has a 380 Cummins with a top speed of 12 k. At 7k, fuel burn is 2.3 gph. You might want to check out www.northpacificyachts.com. No financial interes, just a very happy owner.
Don
Cloud IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 17:39   #5

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
I remember looking at an Eagle and thought the forward cabin was poorly designed. I can't remember if I had issues with engine access as well. I recall it had a nice pilothouse and the aft saloon was comfortable. The importers of the boat on the East Coast, Tradition Yachts, people named Greg and Monica, brought an Eagle all the way from California to the East Coast if I am not mistaken, which attests to the seaworthiness and construction quality.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 07:50   #6

Thanks to all who commented on this boat, it's appreciated. On this past weekend we spent 4 hrs. with the broker on a sea trial. All went well. Before we left for this trial I made up a 2 page list of questions and things I wanted to check out. That said, everything I checked worked 100% and there were no problems although there are a couple somewhat minor/cosmetic deficiency's that will have to be addressed, but nothing too serious. Now I've got to schedule an out of water survey to get another opinion and insurance prerequisit (sp?). If anyone is interested in seeing what we're dealing on check out yachtworld 'eagle' 40' 1999 in Sidney BC.
Old 06-11-2009, 14:45   #7

Boat: Olson 40
How do you like it so far?

I take it you bought the Eagle 40. I've been attracted to them because they seem just like a Nordic 32, only bigger. And we really had a great 2 weeks chartering a Nordic 32 out of Juneau.

So how is it so far?
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 14:03   #8

The Eagle is great. Lot's of interior room for a 40' er, nice big 'halibut fishing" cockpit (not like the very limited space Nordic32) easy access walk around side decks, room in the engine compartment to work, very beamy 14' 6", easy on fuel if you don't push her. We haven't spent much time underway seeing as the winter is upon us but are changing fluids and filters and understanding systems. Very much looking forward to lots of cruising next spring and summer.
Old 05-01-2010, 17:58   #9

Boat: Eagle 40
I own an eagle 40 in the Pac NW and absolutely love it. The greatest "little" feature is the boarding doors outside of the pilot house. While others have to dock stern in to get off of the boat we can bow in and have privacy in the large cockpit rather the having to visit with every passer bye...low profile, minimal windage. Email me!
mvthankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 21:33   #10

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
I like the boat nice and low to the water for a trawler. Make sure you do a full sea trail on motor=photo time tack-wot no load rpm to manufactures specs.-wot full load to or better 100 rpm above spec at rated hp. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT iM TALKING ABOUT GET AN H0NEST MECHANIC TO DO IT. This will tell you if the boat was propped correctly and if your motor will have a reasonable chance at predicted life span. I know I once bought a boat with 250 hrs on motor and it blew at 273 it was over propped and not by much. The new light high output deisels are not same as old iron-will not tolerate misuse or poor mantainance. I had to go to deisel school and read a lot to learn the facts. Most of these motors are designated as LIGHT DUTY recreational use with limits on hrs per day and year along with % load limits. They are not permited on comercial use boats not if you want a warrenty. Just remembered some one on my dock has one and he likes it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 07:46   #11

Hi All,
Just when you think life's good and in the bag and you finally get the boat of your dreams, the economy comes up and kicks you in the a$$.
Unfortunately and with deep regret we have to put our 1999 Transpac Eagle 40 pilothouse trawler up for sale ($290k.) For more information on these beautiful boats and on ours in particular, see the site I built dedicated to the Eagle 40 - www.Eagle40.com
Thanks for looking and we will continue to cruise on the water, just on a smaller scale.
Old 26-04-2010, 19:02   #12

Boat: Grand Banks 36 a"Woodie"
I was in Victoria last week and saw this boat. It's looks really nice, well kept and very clean. Nice big cockpit and what looks like a recent brightwork finish.
c444 is offline   Reply With Quote