Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 18:08   #1

Need Help Deciding on a Used Boat ...

Hello all... I am new to this forum and hoping to soon be new to boating! I have been looking for a boat with a budget of around 100k. Looking for a cruiser big enough for a family of four to handle Lake Ontario...

I have narrowed down search to a few different choices and would like to hear some opinions to help with my decision making...assuming all have the same price tag and approx 200 hrs on the motors, which would be the best choice:

1- 2005 Sea Ray Sundancer 320
2- 2006 Doral Intrigue (31')
3- 2008 Rinker 330

All thoughts are welcome... fire away!
dpopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Need help deciding on a used boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpopo View Post
Hello all... I am new to this forum and hoping to soon be new to boating! I have been looking for a boat with a budget of around 100k. Looking for a cruiser big enough for a family of four to handle Lake Ontario...

I have narrowed down search to a few different choices and would like to hear some opinions to help with my decision making...assuming all have the same price tag and approx 200 hrs on the motors, which would be the best choice:

1- 2005 Sea Ray Sundancer 320
2- 2006 Doral Intrigue (31')
3- 2008 Rinker 330

All thoughts are welcome... fire away!
I would get the one with the biggest sail!...hehehe
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 19:28   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Any kids in regular crew? If so ages?
Boating experience?
$100k budget to buy and outfit the boat? (living and cruising costs extra.)
Where are do you want to cruise out of? Which coast do you want to set off from and more specifically where on that coast?
Where to you want to go?
Are you looking to cruise extensively or liveaboard and occasionally take several weeks or months off to nip around the Caribbean or Baja?

I don't really have much to offer you advice-wise since I am exclusively a sailor, but I have found that asking questions to clarify your needs can be very helpful to the person asking and to the people with advice.

The one piece of advice I do have regardless of boat type, for long-term cruising, kids need their own permanent berths preferably not in the bow of the boat where it will be very uncomfortable underway or in a bouncy anchorage. A berth that has to be converted nightly from the seating for dining or whatever just isn't good enough, they need their own permanent space no matter how limited.

Do you realize that an older larger sailboat will have much better fuel economy for about the same up front price and same interior living volume? Count on the vessels you listed getting about 1-3 mpg at 7-9kt speed and a larger sailboat getting 6-10mg motoring at 6-7kt. If you actually sail the sailboat then gas milage can run into the 100's perhaps 1000 mpg. If sailing is not really your thing or circumstances dictate a motor vessel then ignore this paragraph.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 20:38   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

For a hundred grand you could get a fine trawler that will take your family anywhere ya want to go ! in comfort and safety! You will find they maybe slower then the boats your looking at, but are much more economical to operate!! The maintaince will be about the same and the engines should last longer because of the operating rpms of the trawler are lower then the engines in the boats your looking at ! I also think sail is the way to go but I have had trawlers and enjoyed them at that time !! but what ever ya decide on have fun thats what it's all about !!
Old 05-08-2012, 20:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Of the three boats, Sea Rays tend to be the higher quality boats. You will want a full survey of the boat that has been paid for by you. You will also want to see what maintenance records there are. For a boat with only 200 hours on the engine that will be mostly oil changes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 21:16   #6

Boat: 1974 Uniflite Sport Sedan 28'
I agree with bob on this one. Not only they are more economical to operate but they also tend to have a much stronger hull and safer to operate. I would much prefer to be on a trawler any day than a sports cruiser during heavy seas and weather. They tend to have more room as well for ur family to enjoy. Good luck!
captainUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59   #7

Thanks to all for the thoughts and input...

I went with the Doral... nice layout... negotiated a good price...and had personal knowledge of this boat which in the end tipped the scales
dpopo is offline   Reply With Quote