Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2014, 12:02   #61

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Large older MY's, cheap to buy but....

Yep, fair comment. We usually have to run the AC continuously.

-Chris
Old 13-06-2014, 13:54   #62

Tough!!!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 08:13   #63

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Somebody's gotta do it. I'm taking one for the team.

-Chris
Old 15-06-2014, 17:39   #64

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Large older MY's, cheap to buy but....

If you want a good, but cheap, freezer, look at the EdgeStar 1.1 cubic foot refrigerator/freezer for $170. They are small but work great, as either frig or freezer depending on how you set the thermostat.
Another cheap way to go is to buy a chest freezer. They are cheaper than, and better insulated, than a refrigerator the same size.
Buy a $60 external refrigerator thermostat (like Johnson Controls A419ABC-1C) and install it inline with the power cord-- this lets you set its temperature as a refrigerator.
Google "turn freezer into refrigerator" and you will see what I mean.
You don't have to get into the wiring of the freezer. You just have to make a hole for the temperature probe that you insert inside the freezer box and seal the hole with putty.
Then you wire your 110v power cord so that the hot wire is switched by the controller. The instructions for the controller will tell you how.
Old 16-06-2014, 02:41   #65

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

GG, This is my first post in this fray, but what the hell! I have just installed a 3000W Xantrex used inverter with a remote switch, purchased on E-Bay for $250, and 2 X 4D deep cycle batteries (8d's too large) into my 35' older motor home because I don't want to have to run the generator frequently and inefficiently to have AC power on occasion, plus nobody likes the noise, you or your neighbors. As one poster said, it is not the power that you draw out of your batteries running the inverter, it is how you replace that power. By running your generator to charge your house battery bank, you are using the output of your generator much more efficiently than running a coffee maker. I also concur with the poster who suggested that you utilize your new boat for a while to find out your needs prior to investing a lot of money on things that won't matter, as you will probably never recover that money on resale. My two cents and that's probably what it's worth! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 15:31   #66

Boat: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
I'm glad that you were able to sort stuff out from my journey. That's very cool. So, you decided to go with a powercat, that's great, and I know that Deckofficer would be proud. Have you purchased yet?
Nope, haven't purchased yet. My daughter is 15 months. Wife and I agreed that the target age for her to join us would be 36 months. So that is the plan so far. There are some business matters that I have to get sorted first anyway. Much like you with your house. Gotta get my ducks in a row because my company must continue to operate without any hiccups.

Fortunately, that gives us a little time for a used power cat to find its way to the market. The model that I would really like is new out last year, and hard to find. I'm hoping that they will be a bit easier to find at 2-3 years old. Having watched your story, I'm realizing that the locate/purchase process could take up to 6 months, which means I'll need to get everything in place within 18 months so that we are ready to pull the trigger at any time.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 18:20   #67

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bob. I would like to do some of both, anchoring and docking. My biggest concern with anchoring and the generators is the noise. I can stand the generator running some of the time, as I know that it is the nature of the beast, but honestly think it might drive me a bit crazy if I had to listen to it 24/7. I have a VERY low tolerance for loud noise
Good luck with your new boat GG To help save on using the Geny, have you considered installing a 600W wind generator and, if you like a little extra, a couple of 250W 12/24V solar panels. You could also add to your battery bank, two, four or six 6V Trojan T105 batteries, wired 12V, I believe, with such a set-up, you would seldom, if ever, need to run your Geny. You can get a 600W Wind Generator with controller, delivered to your door for under $400 from eBay

Bill
Australia
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillAU View Post
Good luck with your new boat GG To help save on using the Geny, have you considered installing a 600W wind generator and, if you like a little extra, a couple of 250W 12/24V solar panels. You could also add to your battery bank, two, four or six 6V Trojan T105 batteries, wired 12V, I believe, with such a set-up, you would seldom, if ever, need to run your Geny. You can get a 600W Wind Generator with controller, delivered to your door for under $400 from eBay

Bill
Australia
Thanks Bill!!!

Yes, I have considered green energy and would love to have some I will be looking into it sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-08-2014, 13:20   #69

Boat: too many

Congrats GG on the crossing Ft Meyers to Stuart via Okeechobee Waterway. 5 locks and no paint left behind.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:05   #70

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

GG, let us know when you are passing Cocoa, Fl. I will run out in the dinghy and wave as you pass. It is all fun and games going north now....happy voyaging.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:42   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Congrats GG on the crossing Ft Meyers to Stuart via Okeechobee Waterway. 5 locks and no paint left behind.

Thanks Bob! It was a fun trip.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:30   #72

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Morrissey, your approach is precisely my intended approach. I am going to do a minor cosmetic refit for sure, but that won't cost me much, just because I already have my house tradespeople that I will use and I won't go overboard. No way I would ever let a yard do those things I am trying to sort out now, what mechanical jobs will be necessary for this year, so far I am definitely doing the risers and the Webasto heating system. I'm deciding on the inverter. It probably won't be necessary for now if we don't do the Bahamas, but if we do, I'm pretty sure it would be money well spent.
Hi GG... glad you have closed on your 'dream' boat! You are addressing the things that have given me pause over the years of delivering Hat's and similar vessels. you have your priorities right for setting her up for liveaboard with your family. Using your shore side crew will save you big bucks and you can always hire advice to help them sort out marine issues. PM me if you want to discuss anything... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:38   #73

Boat: too many

Quote:
Thanks Bob! It was a fun trip.
What are your plans now? Going to spend hurricane season in New England then head for the Bahamas in October?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 15:07   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi GG... glad you have closed on your 'dream' boat! You are addressing the things that have given me pause over the years of delivering Hat's and similar vessels. you have your priorities right for setting her up for liveaboard with your family. Using your shore side crew will save you big bucks and you can always hire advice to help them sort out marine issues. PM me if you want to discuss anything... Phil
Phil, thanks so much for all of your help along the way. We really love the boat and I am doing my damndest to not screw anything up. I have had a few hiccups along the way but I have learned from my mistakes and won't repeat. Working through issues as they come up and so far it's not too bad. You and others here are knowledgeable and a great resource for folks like me and that's amazing. Thanks again for your help both on the forum and off line.
Old 16-08-2014, 05:43   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
What are your plans now? Going to spend hurricane season in New England then head for the Bahamas in October?
I am heading North now to get kids back to school for the beginning of September. I need to get the heat installed and shrink wrap and all that fun stuff. I am going to spend a good part of the winter making changes. I need a new kitchen, bathroom changes and can't wait to dump this carpet and old furniture. I haven't been planning much after that I will just see how things play out.

Tags
cheap