Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 09:59   #31

Boat: Still Searching
Re: Large older MY's, cheap to buy but....

Congrats GG! I actually follow your blog a bit so I already knew about your purchase, but I don't typically comment on blogs.

Your journey has been very informative for me, both due to your research and the willingness of members here to answer your questions. We both started with the same perspective. Throughout your journey, you've actually stuck a bit closer to the initial target, while the responses to your questions convinced me that my situation is more compatible with a 50' powercat.

I just wanted to thank you for laying it all out there for my benefit.
Certeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 15:32   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certeza View Post
Congrats GG! I actually follow your blog a bit so I already knew about your purchase, but I don't typically comment on blogs.

Your journey has been very informative for me, both due to your research and the willingness of members here to answer your questions. We both started with the same perspective. Throughout your journey, you've actually stuck a bit closer to the initial target, while the responses to your questions convinced me that my situation is more compatible with a 50' powercat.

I just wanted to thank you for laying it all out there for my benefit.
I'm glad that you were able to sort stuff out from my journey. That's very cool. So, you decided to go with a powercat, that's great, and I know that Deckofficer would be proud. Have you purchased yet?
Old 10-06-2014, 18:00   #33

Boat: too many

GG,

I have no reason to be proud. Certeza stated that his situation is more compatible with a 50' powercat. I wasn't aware of your mission until after your purchase. For your plans you got a lot of boat for the money.

My guess is Certeza plans on a lot more miles of cruising per year and wants to pilot his vessel.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 18:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
GG,

I have no reason to be proud. Certeza stated that his situation is more compatible with a 50' powercat. I wasn't aware of your mission until after your purchase. For your plans you got a lot of boat for the money.

My guess is Certeza plans on a lot more miles of cruising per year and wants to pilot his vessel.
Bob,

I didn't mean that in an offensive way, just that everyone knows that you are a catamaran fan, and for good reason. Certeza is probably making a good choice in going with a power cat and I'm sure that you were instrumental in some way in his coming to that decision. You should be proud of that.
Old 10-06-2014, 19:26   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Bob,

I didn't mean that in an offensive way, just that everyone knows that you are a catamaran fan, and for good reason. Certeza is probably making a good choice in going with a power cat and I'm sure that you were instrumental in some way in his coming to that decision. You should be proud of that.
Thank you for that and I hope he keeps us posted.

You must be busy with the new boat.
Old 10-06-2014, 19:59   #36

GG,

This is a bit of thread drift.

I think you're wise to not get your heart (and your kids' hearts) set on the Bahamas this year. In my experience, it takes about a year to get a new boat settled down - even as good a boat as you've bought. While the money may not be that much, a lot of time is spent fooling around with small repairs and waiting for deliveries. This is a lot easier to do in the US than the Bahamas. The simplest repair is really hard in the Bahamas.

I think you'll be surprised at how much fun you'll all have going up the East Coast on a boat. Don't hurry. St. Augustine, Savannah, Charleston, Beaufort, Manteo, Norfolk, Annapolis, Baltimore, New York City - they are a blast. And lots of friendly people (who know a lot about boats) ready to help out.

Just one example - stop in Titusville and rent a car to go over to the Kennedy Space Center. Check out a Saturn V (also the Space Shuttle). Then, in Manteo rent a car and go to the Wright Brothers museum to see the Wright Flyer that's just 60 years older. Let the kids chew on that

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:53   #37

An old Hatt to learn on should be a lot of fun. All I would say is 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it'. Otherwise, once you get started on refit or improvements the boat bucks disappear real fast.

So, don't spend a dime more than is REALLY necessary for the first 2 years. By then you will be either ready for the boat you really want but still be able to get out of the Hatt without losing much. Or you will be satisfied that the Hatt can meet your needs for quite a few more years. And it might just happen! If the latter case, then you can set in motion a plan to a just a few improvements with every annual haul-out. The reason for this approach is that over time you will moderate the list of 'I need to do this' down to manageable levels, and find economical solutions from thorough research before letting a yard loose. Most yards can do good work if well briefed and you keep on top of things, but it costs big bucks.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
GG,

This is a bit of thread drift.

I think you're wise to not get your heart (and your kids' hearts) set on the Bahamas this year. In my experience, it takes about a year to get a new boat settled down - even as good a boat as you've bought. While the money may not be that much, a lot of time is spent fooling around with small repairs and waiting for deliveries. This is a lot easier to do in the US than the Bahamas. The simplest repair is really hard in the Bahamas.

I think you'll be surprised at how much fun you'll all have going up the East Coast on a boat. Don't hurry. St. Augustine, Savannah, Charleston, Beaufort, Manteo, Norfolk, Annapolis, Baltimore, New York City - they are a blast. And lots of friendly people (who know a lot about boats) ready to help out.

Just one example - stop in Titusville and rent a car to go over to the Kennedy Space Center. Check out a Saturn V (also the Space Shuttle). Then, in Manteo rent a car and go to the Wright Brothers museum to see the Wright Flyer that's just 60 years older. Let the kids chew on that

Carl, very sound advice. I have no real "plan" at this point. Just things that I would like to do. I am totally open and can't wait to see what is to come. My kids are easy, they love almost everything and very much love new places. We are all so excited!

The Kennedy Space Center and Wright Brothers Museum are great ideas for fun teenage kid trips. Thank you.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
An old Hatt to learn on should be a lot of fun. All I would say is 'if it ain't broke, dont fix it'. Otherwise, once you get started on refit or improvements the boat bucks disappear real fast.

So, don't spend a dime more than is REALLY necessary for the first 2 years. By then you will be either ready for the boat you really want but still be able to get out of the Hatt without losing much. Or you will be satisfied that the Hatt can meet your needs for quite a few more years. And it might just happen! If the latter case, then you can set in motion a plan to a just a few improvements with every annual haul-out. The reason for this approach is that over time you will moderate the list of 'I need to do this' down to manageable levels, and find economical solutions from thorough research before letting a yard loose. Most yards can do good work if well briefed and you keep on top of things, but it costs big bucks.
Morrissey, your approach is precisely my intended approach. I am going to do a minor cosmetic refit for sure, but that won't cost me much, just because I already have my house tradespeople that I will use and I won't go overboard. No way I would ever let a yard do those things I am trying to sort out now, what mechanical jobs will be necessary for this year, so far I am definitely doing the risers and the Webasto heating system. I'm deciding on the inverter. It probably won't be necessary for now if we don't do the Bahamas, but if we do, I'm pretty sure it would be money well spent.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:10   #40

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

You need an inverter in the winter when dock power is out. Having and inverter separate of the charger is the cheapest way to go. We have an inverter and have used it a couple of time at night anchoring, and when the dock power is out so we do not have to run the gen set all the time. The Webasto will heat the boat and cut your AC amp demand down and if you have 2+ deep cycle 8D housed batteries will run 8 to 10 hour with out drawing them down below 50% or 11.4 volts DC.

When I first install our inverter, I plugged the shore power cord into it no wiring required. If you do wire it, in install a secondary selector switch for dock power or inverter. Not that much wiring is you do not get to fancy. We can get by for weeks in below freezing weather, running the gen set for 4 hour three times a day, to charge the batteries, when the gen set is not running we switch to the inverter. If you do not already have a AC amp meter have one installed so you know how many amps you are drawing. In the dead of winter we run between 10 and 20 amps AC.

I would move the boat to your home slip as soon as possible as the lead time for some things is weeks/months. By Sept 30 you should have the boat ready for winter. You also might thing of canvas enclosing some areas as they do reduce the draft, hold some heat and make usable living area/storage. My wife uses the back deck in the winter for her sewing/hobby area. You do not want to get caught unprepared for winter. I am already planning/thinking about what has to be done before Sept 30, and I have not taken down the winter canvas yet.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 14:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
You need an inverter in the winter when dock power is out. Having and inverter separate of the charger is the cheapest way to go. We have an inverter and have used it a couple of time at night anchoring, and when the dock power is out so we do not have to run the gen set all the time. The Webasto will heat the boat and cut your AC amp demand down and if you have 2+ deep cycle 8D housed batteries will run 8 to 10 hour with out drawing them down below 50% or 11.4 volts DC.

When I first install our inverter, I plugged the shore power cord into it no wiring required. If you do wire it, in install a secondary selector switch for dock power or inverter. Not that much wiring is you do not get to fancy. We can get by for weeks in below freezing weather, running the gen set for 4 hour three times a day, to charge the batteries, when the gen set is not running we switch to the inverter. If you do not already have a AC amp meter have one installed so you know how many amps you are drawing. In the dead of winter we run between 10 and 20 amps AC.

I would move the boat to your home slip as soon as possible as the lead time for some things is weeks/months. By Sept 30 you should have the boat ready for winter. You also might thing of canvas enclosing some areas as they do reduce the draft, hold some heat and make usable living area/storage. My wife uses the back deck in the winter for her sewing/hobby area. You do not want to get caught unprepared for winter. I am already planning/thinking about what has to be done before Sept 30, and I have not taken down the winter canvas yet.
Phil, the canvas keeps the area that warm? Do you have any photos of the canvas on the Eagle that I can see.

It's so depressing to talk about winter right now I'm surprised that the inverter will power the Webasto. How many watts is your inverter? What else does it power?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:43   #42

Inverter converts DC to AC. The inverter does not power the Webasto, only AC power item, TV, Mico wave, coffee pot to brew, and some lights. . Nothing with a high amp demand for long periods of time. We have a 3000 watt/25 amps inverter. The Webasto is 12 volt and wired directly to the house bank as you will probable install in the engine room close to the diesel tanks and battereis. Also buy the Ever Hot Webasto hot water heater, to heat the water at the same time. Might want to convert the stove oven to propane to reduce the AC and DC power used.

Canvas does keep an area warm, and on sunny over cast cold days it gets warm. Canvas also blocks wind/drafts. Even it you do not heat it, the area is at least dry. All of our canvas is 80% clear plastic to let in as much day light as possible. Every Sept I have the canvas guy repair the canvas, mostly zippers. Also Each September water proof the cloth for the 9 months of rain/wet. Our canvas has lasted for 10 to 15 years. it the South side that gets the rain, sun and wind. I find using binge cords for the fasteners as they stretch so the canvas does not get torn.

Any way I would get moving as it can take weeks/months for some things. The Webasto and canvas will take at least one month. I don't have all the winter stuff down and I am already planning/thinking about next winter.

Phote of back deck with canvas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back deck test small.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	82920  
Old 12-06-2014, 11:05   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Inverter converts DC to AC. The inverter does not power the Webasto, only AC power item, TV, Mico wave, coffee pot to brew, and some lights. . Nothing with a high amp demand for long periods of time. We have a 3000 watt/25 amps inverter. The Webasto is 12 volt and wired directly to the house bank as you will probable install in the engine room close to the diesel tanks and battereis. Also buy the Ever Hot Webasto hot water heater, to heat the water at the same time. Might want to convert the stove oven to propane to reduce the AC and DC power used.

Canvas does keep an area warm, and on sunny over cast cold days it gets warm. Canvas also blocks wind/drafts. Even it you do not heat it, the area is at least dry. All of our canvas is 80% clear plastic to let in as much day light as possible. Every Sept I have the canvas guy repair the canvas, mostly zippers. Also Each September water proof the cloth for the 9 months of rain/wet. Our canvas has lasted for 10 to 15 years. it the South side that gets the rain, sun and wind. I find using binge cords for the fasteners as they stretch so the canvas does not get torn.

Any way I would get moving as it can take weeks/months for some things. The Webasto and canvas will take at least one month. I don't have all the winter stuff down and I am already planning/thinking about next winter.

Phote of back deck with canvas.
Thanks Phil for the info and photo. What do you guys do about refrigerator power?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:37   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Thanks Phil for the info and photo. What do you guys do about refrigerator power?
The main kitchen and the two out side on the back deck are two way AC/DC. We do not run the two on the bak deck in the winter when power is out as its cold enough. It’s in the warmer months the two on the back deck are on. I plan on replacing the two on the back deck with three way, AC/DC/propane. Convert as much as you can to DC and/or alternate power, diesel/propane/solar/wind. Keep AC to a minimum.
Old 12-06-2014, 13:01   #45

GG,

Your systems and possible upgrades will depend on your intended usage of your boat. If you never anchor out, save your money and just use the 50 amp service at the marina.

If you plan on a lot of time in anchorages, then system upgrades to minimized AC gen set run time would be worthwhile. The inverter that rw58ph is using (3000 watts) is capable of running any galley appliances without having to run the gen set. House battery bank size will determine how often you will need to run the gen set to charge the bank. Most people run the gen set for hot water (heat exchanger and/or electric element). If your refrigerator doesn't have auto defrost or at least can be switched off, the inverter will power it just fine, keep an eye on battery status. If your boat has both DC and AC incandescent lights, replace all the bulbs with LED.

Tags
cheap