Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 16:29   #61

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Re: Inflatable Boat Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sounds like your having fun and that is what is important.
Just be careful and don't get in over your head with your little ship, be sure to carry a cell phone just in case the little Chinese engine quits
I dumped the chinese engine about 2 weeks ago, i just felt it was defective because i was having trouble starting it, i bought a used Suzuki off Craigs List and its been running just fine...

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 16:18   #62

Test of the Suzuki motor, definitely not a speed demon but a nice exhaust note...

Old 11-12-2018, 13:38   #63

Hey guys back looking to upgrade my inflatable for the 2019 season should be fun!

https://youtu.be/WsPSJZzp5Cs?t=1
Old 31-12-2018, 11:38   #64

Get a Takacat if you can!. Great quality, cool looking and they fly. They weigh around 50 to 70 pounds depending on size... super cool looking. They ride of their tubes instead of a hull... they also ride better. Best dinghy you could dream of unless you really beat the hell out of stuff. www.takacat.com. I know where there are two new dinghys let cheap in Baltimore... but they are hard to get in USA at the moment
homer1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 11:51   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1958 View Post
Get a Takacat if you can!. Great quality, cool looking and they fly. They weigh around 50 to 70 pounds depending on size... super cool looking. They ride of their tubes instead of a hull... they also ride better. Best dinghy you could dream of unless you really beat the hell out of stuff. www.takacat.com. I know where there are two new dinghys let cheap in Baltimore... but they are hard to get in USA at the moment
Thanks yes i was actually leaning towards this one. you know of someone selling them in Baltimore? would appreciate. takacat said they would ship one to me but im not sure of the shipping cost.
Old 31-12-2018, 12:11   #66

Re: Inflatable Boat Advice Needede

Call Red Beard Sailing in Annapolis. He has two new ones left. They are small though the 240... its just a small dinghy, but probably around 600 he will sell it.... its worth 1,400. (I cant speak more highly of these boats. They are waaaay better than current technology but not for one who is beating the crap out of a dinghy. I have the 260 and it goes 17mph with a 2 stroke 5hp Tohatsu.... quality is good... but not if you beat the crap out of things.... take care of it. So between the boat and the motor the thing only weighs 98 pounds! Perfect
Old 31-12-2018, 12:16   #67

I stuck it in my back seat ... size of a big suitcase... amazing an it's amazing more sailors have not snapped these up... probably because they cost a couple hundred more and sailors are tighter than Bull's Asses in Fly season.
Old 31-12-2018, 12:27   #68

Quote:
Call Red Beard Sailing in Annapolis. He has two new ones left. They are small though the 240... its just a small dinghy, but probably around 600 he will sell it.... its worth 1,400. (I cant speak more highly of these boats. They are waaaay better than current technology but not for one who is beating the crap out of a dinghy. I have the 260 and it goes 17mph with a 2 stroke 5hp Tohatsu.... quality is good... but not if you beat the crap out of things.... take care of it. So between the boat and the motor the thing only weighs 98 pounds! Perfect
i just emailed them, they are sold out but ill probably look again come spring time.
Old 31-12-2018, 12:35   #69

He got a bit ticked at Greg I think. I bet he still has anymore... he really was ambivalent about selling it. He's not carrying them.. bet he still has one if you get him on the phone, but this is a dinghy... its a perfect little tender. They are really hard to get now and are not too active in USA.... I think they are backed-up too... call they guy and ask him if he still has one of the 240s left... I just bought mine a few weeks back... hes a good guy to deal with
Old 31-12-2018, 13:24   #70

Quote:
Hey you are right! i just checked the specs, and the takacat lite 3.4 meter is the lowest weight inflatable i have seen that would accept a FIFTEEN horsepower motor, not a 10 thats definitely a plus!!!! The boat itself weighs 76 lbs, while the 3 meter weighs 70 lbs.

Of course buying a 15 hp outboard motor would be super hard for me to carry to the beach to launch by hand!
Old 31-12-2018, 15:11   #71

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
How well do TakaCats handle hanging in davits with the motor still attached?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 19:54   #72

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
How well do TakaCats handle hanging in davits with the motor still attached?
They have plenty of D shackles for mounting and don't weight much. They tow great. It also not hard to put them back on the bag.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...baz_PMavkDm27x
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 21:08   #73

Here is what you do. I studied inflatables for a year. The top quality ones are ridiculously priced, You can get two new Takacats in that price range. NOTHNG touches Takacat technology. It's brilliant. The floor is a SUP basically and is not even in the water... its stiff and rides above the water. They will plane and not ride high at all with low HP. Try to find a 2 stroke in great shape... 4 Strokes are too heavy plus you have to leave them up so oil does not spill around. Takacat tubes are larger/taper smaller as approach bow. The open ones (front) are really cool. They are also dry rides and row better and are at least 50% faster with the same power and are smoother rides. The other cool one is TrueKit but Takacat is better in some ways.. cooler looking IMHO. You would not guess in a million years by looking at it that it could fold into a big suitcase but it does and the seams are are well done and not rippled. Point is NO DRAG underway. But you will want to put a Permatrim tab on the outboard because its almost a surface piercing prop. Take one inch of pitch out of the prop and cup it. That's the bottom line. I would not have anything else. Go to YouTube and watch the videos... you will have to have one! They do not focus on USA and you will have to virtually beg Greg Snowden to send you one.... They are really hot in other parts of the globe... they handle like a Porsche and tow straight. I studied these things out a lot. If you want a tough traditionalue, I would go with a HighField or North Atlantic aluminum if you hang around tons of rocks... but they wont handle or go like The CAT... The Cat is Bad Ass!
Old 31-12-2018, 22:15   #74
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

How do they row?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:58   #75

Great!.. Check out the youtubes and go to www.takacat.com... you will be enamored.

Tags
boat, inflatable