Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13   #31

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Re: Inflatable Boat Advice Needed

I'll be buying the boat in the next few days, however today i ordered a bag anchor (the plan would be to fill it with rocks) since i am not sure how big of a boat ill be buying. Also ordered a life vest, high visibility from amazon. and finally a 20 foot tow rope with clamps to lengthen the anchor line if i end up with it in deep water.

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:54   #32

Don't know if you've ever seen this. Sometimes going back to the basics is helpful.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...latable-Dinghy

This avoids repeating the "What to look for" posts.

I never lived in Brooklyn, but did live in Queens and went to Brooklyn Tech, had friends who sailed out of Sheepshead Bay and the marina near LaGuardia Airport, went waterskiing off Fire Island and summered out in the Moriches for many summers.

I also lived in apartments.

Them's my street creds.

Your wish list didn't say if you have a walk-up or a building with an elevator!

So, no way for anyone to answer your question without that important bit of input from you.

Good luck.

Hope your next question isn't about girlfriends...

"ShipofFools" --- how appropriate. Just kiddin'...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 17:14   #33

Getting women to join me on this boat - that's going to be the easy part, icing on the cake, lmao...

okay guys ive narrowed down my use case more...I've decided to can the idea of owning a jet ski because they are a bit more expensive than my budget allows... Heres a list of inflatables im interested in...

1. bris 8 to 9 foot inflatable - nice youtube vids and amazon reviews
2. newport vessels seascape - good review/ predicted speed of 20 to 25 mph
3. inflatable sports boats dolphin air floor - still like this idea, lightweight
4. bestway HydroForce Mirovia brand seems to have good reviews
5. other generic models?

Heres the requirements, revised:
boat must be able to reach speeds of 20 to 25 mph with gas engine
holds 3 people
good build quality
cost between $400 and $1100 for boat, engine will be separate
more than likely engine will be a used 8hp to 10 hp 2 stroke
weight problem - put on a metal cart and carry via mass transit to launch site
so the boat must be below 100 lbs and preferably below 80, engine below 70 lbs
i am still toying with the idea of leaving it at a marina which allows outdoor storage for several hundred $ but for now using a metal cart

Any advice on choices above appreciated. choose a pick 1 to 5
Old 19-06-2018, 17:54   #34

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Guys down the dock from us got one of thesehttps://www.costco.com/Hydro-Force-M...100341175.html the other day, really nice, big tubes, aluminum floor, inflatable keel, & transom looks like it could easily hold a 25hp
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 19:04   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Your goals are completely inconsistent with reality dinghy wise.

Good luck on the lady front.
Old 19-06-2018, 20:33   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Being specific on the first part would be more helpful.

With the second, he may be a super hot babe magnet, even NY ladies will go slumming with a boy toy for fun.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 12:55   #37

Hey guys here we are! I purchased the hydro force marine pro for cheap. I was actually going to purchase two boats, one for rowing and a larger inflatable for accepting an engine but I was so impressed with this boat I think i may just keep it and downsize the engine size to fit on this boat. You can see that the marine pro folds up and fits fairly well inside my metal food cart and its honestly very easy to wheel it to the beach:

A few downsides, I need to purchase a new metal clamp for securing the anchor line to the back of the boat. I currently have a bag anchor but i may size up my anchor to a metal weight plate weighing 10 to 20 lbs. Also need more anchor line as i only have 15 feet now. Today the current dragged my anchor towards the waves closer and closer over a period of perhaps 2 hours. The tide which was going inland was very hard to row against (we also had a small showery storm) after which time i went home. The second problem is that when i rolled up the deflated boat there was sand all over the bottom, i need some way to unravel it and spray off the sand before i have it inside my apartment. Lastly i ended up with a leather wallet that got soaked (although i have a waterproof bag for my cellphone).

Here is me at the helm:
Old 24-06-2018, 14:47   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Inflatable Boat Advice Needed

Where does the motor attach?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:04   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Be careful. That's not a lot of boat. A good wind current could get you in trouble real fast. Enjoy yourself.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Where does the motor attach?

I just ordered a motor mount, right now its just oars. engine size should be between 1 hp and 3 hp will let you know.
Old 24-06-2018, 15:57   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Thanks for posting pictures and telling us about your first trip! The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure!!!

Although your shopping cart does the trick, I use a cheap (buy on sale) hand truck (sometimes called a frig cart or moving dolly depending where you live). I find it to be much more solid and capable of handling more weight and bigger bumps.

As for the sand...if you flip your boat and let it dry off in the sun for a few minutes, most of the sand will fall off or be brushed off easily as you roll. Obviously, finding someplace grassy would help too.

I also suggest you get a small dry bag to hold your wallet, keys, phone, whatever, and tie it securely to the boat. Anything in your pockets or not tied onto the boat will eventually go plop in the water. You'll also want a second bag for bulkier, less valuable items, like your lunch, shoes, towel, and water.

Your boat looks great. Reminds me of the Avon redcrest I used to explore many places with my kids when they were little. When they got bigger, I needed a bigger dinghy, and eventually got an outboard too. The worst thing that ever happened was when I broke an oar. Those cheap plastic oars and oar locks were not meant to last long...I suggest you add some duct tape to your kit. I replaced my plastic oars with cheap wooden paddles, used as oars...worked much better!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	172347   Click image for larger version

Name:	End of school sailing trip 251.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	172348  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Labour Day sailing trip 066.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	172349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing 065.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	172350  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Thanks for posting pictures and telling us about your first trip! The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure!!!

Although your shopping cart does the trick, I use a cheap (buy on sale) hand truck (sometimes called a frig cart or moving dolly depending where you live). I find it to be much more solid and capable of handling more weight and bigger bumps.

As for the sand...if you flip your boat and let it dry off in the sun for a few minutes, most of the sand will fall off or be brushed off easily as you roll. Obviously, finding someplace grassy would help too.

I also suggest you get a small dry bag to hold your wallet, keys, phone, whatever, and tie it securely to the boat. Anything in your pockets or not tied onto the boat will eventually go plop in the water. You'll also want a second bag for bulkier, less valuable items, like your lunch, shoes, towel, and water.

Your boat looks great. Reminds me of the Avon redcrest I used to explore many places with my kids when they were little. When they got bigger, I needed a bigger dinghy, and eventually got an outboard too. The worst thing that ever happened was when I broke an oar. Those cheap plastic oars and oar locks were not meant to last long...I suggest you add some duct tape to your kit. I replaced my plastic oars with cheap wooden paddles, used as oars...worked much better!!!
Thanks your boat looks nice too!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:07   #43

Hey guys an update on the speed of my boat, i found a calculator online that tells me what types of speed i should be getting however im assuming this vastly over estimates the actual speed. For my small 40 lb dingy and a 3.5 HP motor weighing 20 lbs it showing me a speed of 17.5 MPH. I have not yet taken it on the water with the engine attached (probably will on the 4th). The inputs are boat weight, human weight, gear weigh, motor HP and hull efficiency ratio 165 to 225. I assumed it would be low for an inflatable.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:15   #44

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Hey guys an update on the speed of my boat, i found a calculator online that tells me what types of speed i should be getting however im assuming this vastly over estimates the actual speed. For my small 40 lb dingy and a 3.5 HP motor weighing 20 lbs it showing me a speed of 17.5 MPH.
You would only attain that speed (17mph) if your boat was planing. My daughter (100 pounds) was able to get my inflatable to plane with a 4hp outboard, and could go that fast. I suppose its possible, but I have never thought of a donut getting up on the step.

My guess is that your setup will go 11km/hr at WOT. And be much more comfortable, and burn 75% less fuel, at half throttle going about 8km/hr.

I hope you have a handheld GPS so you can let us know how it goes.

FWIW, you inspired me to purchase an avon rover 2.8, and now I'm looking for a honda 2.0 to push it. I'll post my speed results too, when I get it all going.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:16   #45

Congratulations on the boat. It's an amazing feeling to be out on the water in NYC.

I sail out of that area and would just advise you to be super careful of the tidal current off Rockaway/Breezy Pt. If it's running out and you're in its grasp you'll be swept right out. You can't fight that current with just oars.

Also get yourself a little waterproof VHF radio. That's a vital safety tool in case your engine dies and you need to call for help.

Enjoy and good luck out there!
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, inflatable