Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 13:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Considering Crossing Over to the "Dark Side"

Since this is predominantly a sailing forum, I already have an idea the kinds of answers I’ll get but decided to throw this out there anyway since there doesn’t seem to be an exactly similar powerboat forum.

I currently own a 40 foot sailboat and sail with my wife and 2 young kids on the Chesapeake Bay. But we’re considering selling and going over to the “dark side” for a “bleach bottle” express cruiser planing hull style powerboat. The main goal would be to extend our weekend cruising range on the Chesapeake. With the sailboat, it’s difficult to make it more than about 20-25 miles from home port in a 2-day weekend, which can be pretty limiting as far as destinations available to us.

Powerboat pros:
  • A boat that cruises at 10-15 knots theoretically would double or triple our comfortable range for weekend overnight cruising, opening up numerous destinations and anchorages we simply can’t reach on a sailboat in a 2-day timeframe.
  • We are looking for a kid-friendly resort marina and there seem to be more options for this for powerboaters locally.
  • We could purchase a 10-15 year old 27-31 foot express cruiser powerboat in good condition for 1/2 to 1/3 the value of our Beneteau (that size range would have comparable interior accommodations).
  • Maintenance and dockage would be less costly given 10 feet less LOA.
Sailboat pros:
  • I’ve always loved sailing.
  • I want my kids to learn how to sail.
  • I generally identify better with the sailing set.
  • The silence when the engine shuts off is golden.
  • We feel comfortable on our boat when the winds and waves pick up.
  • We eventually (probably not for 3-5 years) will want to take longer coastal trips outside the Chesapeake (Delmarva Loop, Cape May, New York, Long Island Sound, Block Island, etc) and possibly even do the ICW, Bahamas, and beyond - not ideal for a planning hull powerboat.
Curious what others have done or would do facing similar considerations? I'm torn between whether this is just a moment of self doubt about owning a sailboat that I'll snap out of or whether becoming powerboaters really is the best thing for us (at least for now).
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 14:00   #2

Re: Considering Crossing Over to the "Dark Side"

If you decide to go this route and can go to 35ft, my neighbor in the next slip in Baltimore is selling his very well maintained repowered express cruiser. Told me yesterday and not listed yet. Didnt mention a price but happy to put you in touch if you PM. Very nice boat of it's type.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 14:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I am in the same dilemma. I have worked on the SF Bay for over 30 years now and am ready for a change. I have been there and done that many many times over. Don't get me wrong, I love the SF Bay.

My wife and I also love fishing inland lakes. We have a small fishing boat but it is too small to live on. It has no cabin. There are a ton of freshwater lakes in the Western USA and many are very uncrowded and very beautiful. So when we retire, which is not long from now, do we buy a sailboat and cruise the Bay, Delta and coastline or do we buy a powerboat that is small enough to trailer but big enough to live on and go do that?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 07:18   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Hi David M,

Like this one?

Bounty 257, powered by 260hp Volvo KAD44P diesel, veteran of many summers cruising BC and/or SE Alaska. Lake Powell also.

Very well equipped for extended cruising - even has a watermaker. Cruises at 18 knots, or at 6-7. Meticulously maintained, mostly by me, since new. Very good condition.

NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 07:28   #5

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Since this is predominantly a sailing forum, I already have an idea the kinds of answers I’ll get but decided to throw this out there anyway since there doesn’t seem to be an exactly similar powerboat forum.

I currently own a 40 foot sailboat and sail with my wife and 2 young kids on the Chesapeake Bay. But we’re considering selling and going over to the “dark side” for a “bleach bottle” express cruiser planing hull style powerboat. The main goal would be to extend our weekend cruising range on the Chesapeake. With the sailboat, it’s difficult to make it more than about 20-25 miles from home port in a 2-day weekend, which can be pretty limiting as far as destinations available to us.

Powerboat pros:
  • A boat that cruises at 10-15 knots theoretically would double or triple our comfortable range for weekend overnight cruising, opening up numerous destinations and anchorages we simply can’t reach on a sailboat in a 2-day timeframe.
  • We are looking for a kid-friendly resort marina and there seem to be more options for this for powerboaters locally.
  • We could purchase a 10-15 year old 27-31 foot express cruiser powerboat in good condition for 1/2 to 1/3 the value of our Beneteau (that size range would have comparable interior accommodations).
  • Maintenance and dockage would be less costly given 10 feet less LOA.
Sailboat pros:
  • I’ve always loved sailing.
  • I want my kids to learn how to sail.
  • I generally identify better with the sailing set.
  • The silence when the engine shuts off is golden.
  • We feel comfortable on our boat when the winds and waves pick up.
  • We eventually (probably not for 3-5 years) will want to take longer coastal trips outside the Chesapeake (Delmarva Loop, Cape May, New York, Long Island Sound, Block Island, etc) and possibly even do the ICW, Bahamas, and beyond - not ideal for a planning hull powerboat.
Curious what others have done or would do facing similar considerations? I'm torn between whether this is just a moment of self doubt about owning a sailboat that I'll snap out of or whether becoming powerboaters really is the best thing for us (at least for now).
Sounds like a power boat may fit your needs. I would be surprised if you find a 28' express cruiser as roomy as your current boat. I would recommend something in the 32'-35' range. Most of these boats will be sterndrive, I would personally prefer a inboard if you can find one as the maintenance will be less. If you go to a convertible there is a lot more interior space but I find flybridges not the greatest for little kids.
I would spend time running different boats noise and vibration can vary widely between boats. I find it very annoying myself so can understand the concern.
For a boat that's a little more open water friendly I really like the Albin boats like the 32 and 34. Also look for a Compton 33 but all of these sell for quite a bit more then the average express cruiser.
Old 24-10-2017, 07:50   #6

When my kids were a similar age, I sold a 35ft sailboat and got a 28ft downeast style powerboat. I sold it after the first summer and went back to sail (chartering through the Moorings). Eventually bought a bigger sailboat.

The problem was that on a small planing powerboat, the journey isn't much fun. It's all about getting to your destination or the fishing spot. The engine is loud, in any sort of sea, it's bumpy enough that you have to stay in your seat or hold on tight, you need windshield wipers for the spray on the windshield, and you can't go into a sea at more than about 8 knots anyways. Unlike sailboats, only two people can sit down and see forward (the helmsman and the navigator). Everyone else has to sit in the back with the engine and can't see over the bow.

And even though it wasn't a major expense in the total ownership, it was really depressing that fuel for a weekend overnight could top $200. Just a picnic was over $100.

Also, the kid didn't particularly like it either because there was nothing for them to do - they couldn't crank winches or fool with the sails or hang their feet over the side when we heeled or go up in the bow pulpit and watch for dolphins. They were too young to legally drive.

If I really wanted a powerboat, I'd get a displacement one that went a reliable 7-8 knots but felt like a sailboat. Or maybe a powercat that went 10.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 07:59   #7

Boat: birchwood regent 48

I am a sailor, you can make a power boater from a sailor, not the other way round, im finally moving aboard in the next few weeks, ... on to a cruiser, not a yacht, purely for space and mod cons, but im not getting rid of the yacht for anyone, good luck,
johnrid123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:00   #8

Could you moor your sailboat in the 'further away areas' you would like to be able to get to - and just drive there by road each weekend?
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:03   #9

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Hi Carl,

Don't disagree that a displacement hull powerboat has a number of good points, but...

Not all smaller planing powerboats have the problems you mentioned. Our Bounty pictured above crushes comfortably through a moderate chop at 16-18 knots. Two can sit facing forward on the navigator side, in the reversable forward seat of the dinette. It's not very loud, even at 18 knots - the engine is outside in the cockpit. Very quiet at displacement speeds. Our 2015 cruise of SE Alaska, covering 2100nm in 2.5 months on the water, cost $1,882 in fuel. And we do go forward (or to the upper helm) to watch porpoises and humpbacks, but generally at 6-7 knots or less.

The journey itself is tons of fun - and the scenery, critters, fishing etc along the way are all part of that.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:08   #10

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

I get exactly where you are coming from. Personally, I'd be looking at a trawler (or a "fast" trawler). It will give you the extra range you are looking for, feels more like a sailboat and will allow you to do the extended cruising in a few years that you want to do. Just my 2 cents worth.
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:15   #11

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
Hi Carl,

Don't disagree that a displacement hull powerboat has a number of good points, but...

Not all smaller planing powerboats have the problems you mentioned. Our Bounty pictured above crushes comfortably through a moderate chop at 16-18 knots. Two can sit facing forward on the navigator side, in the reversable forward seat of the dinette. It's not very loud, even at 18 knots - the engine is outside in the cockpit. Very quiet at displacement speeds. Our 2015 cruise of SE Alaska, covering 2100nm in 2.5 months on the water, cost $1,882 in fuel. And we do go forward (or to the upper helm) to watch dolphins, but only at 6-7 knots.

The journey itself is tons of fun - and the scenery, critters, fishing etc along the way are all part of that.
Alot of how enjoyable a power boat can be depends on where you are as well. For instance driving a sailboat against the current up a river at 3 knots is downright aggravating vs a power boat cruising and enjoying the scenery at 12 knots. Also a lot depends on the boat for loudness. The first time I was on a working lobster boat the obnoxiousness of the engine was overwhelming. On the other hand later in life I had a customer with a custom build down east boat that had a slow turning John Deere a well done wet exhaust soft engine mounts with a thrust bearing setup and 3" of engine insulation and sound proofing. That boat made basically a load hum at 8 knots.
Old 24-10-2017, 08:23   #12

Boat: Whitby 42

Been there, done that. Just sold the trawler and looking for another sailboat. Our's are slightly different conditions, we are looking at two week to one month cruises, from Galveston Bay to the Mississippi, Alabama, Florida gulf coast and the trawler with 300 gal just didn't have the range. Main reason though was that we plain didn't like the boat. Nothing like relaxing in the cockpit of a sailboat. If I want to sit in an easy chair, I can do that at home.
The constant noise and no sails to tweak are another reason, there's just nothing to do while underway.
As somebody else mentioned, power boats are about the destination, sailboats are about the voyage.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 08:34   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post

You will have to go at least two hours each way before you leave your well-known cruising grounds.
And these cruising grounds will become boring within another year, plus the fuel bill gets higher the further you go.

What about just moving the sail boat some 40nm to another marina and drive there by car? Takes under an hour to get there and you have new interesting cruising grounds, quiet and peaceful trips on a sail boat, no fuel bill (ok, for the car but thats next to nothing compared to an express cruisiner going 15kn).
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 09:26   #14

Trawler types can be just as much about the trip. But once you go to planing boats , yeah, more about the destination. It definitely gets you a wider range for short cruises. But be aware, if you want to go 15-20 knots the fuel will be quite expensive. If that's ok, good plan.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 09:40   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

Are there motorsailers with large enough engines to extend your range, and yet keep the sailing part? I'm just asking, I never explored that niche. A motorsailer would preserve the "Ah!" moment of engine silence whenever you chose to avail yourself of it.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote