Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 18:00   #751

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Definitely look at the resume and definitely contact the references... Your insurance company will likely want to do some due diligence too. Obviously a yacht delivery company has done the due diligence and so perhaps less for you to do. I am not a delivery skipper, but the dealer hired me to deliver a boat from CT to Brazil simply because it was a sistership of Shiva and they knew I was very familiar with the boat... so in a sense he thought I was more qualified and my fee was very reasonable. I installed my own SSB for the delivery.
Be comfortable with the skipper and crew and of course if you can.... go along with your baby.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:06   #752

Boat: Seaward 22

Just not worth the time....BTW - it's not hate if someone disagrees with you.

Out of this nonsense.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:13   #753
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Is a bow thruster good enough, or do you need bow and stern?

Anyone know what stern thrusters run, installed?
cG , I've been driving power boats upto 100 feet for years. , firstly two people can easily handle a 65 foot motor boat. Yes you need tuition , yes you need to practice, but there's no rocket science. Start with small journeys , gain experience , do the courses , etc etc no need for a captain , maybe at the start get an instructor to go out a few times.

Bow thruster , very useful , I'd recommend it. , saves on scrapes , stern thruster , nice to have , get one if you want, ignore the , " your not a real women/man, if you use a thruster argument "

Best config , is a single engine , with bow , and optionally stern thrusters

If you want a faster boat, consider semi displacement, like Flemming , speed is useful. Twin engines again with a bow thruster.

(That's cause in wind , its the bow you loose )

Dag Pike ( mobo author ) prefers big planning hull powerboats for heavy weather , like Ribs and new design lifeboats , trouble is few are made strong enough for rough weather.

Horses for courses

Ignore the doubter nonsense , Mobos are easy.

Dave
Old 18-08-2013, 18:21   #754

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

To answer your question, I would get references and check the person out thoroughly. Make sure your insurance company is ok with the person and the move. make sure the Captain has a towing policy.... You should have one too.
A good delivery captain will have a list of requirements ( like the equipment and spares that must be on board) he will also require that all basic systems are operational and that your instruments are all working properly.
If you can go along for the ride and get some lessons on being crew and actually driving the boat so much the better. You will learn a great deal about your boat and its systems on a trip from Florida to Boston, wether you go ICW or outside.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 19:20   #755

Can I come? Just kidding... Of course all systems have to checked for proper working order by skipper... if he doesn't he shouldn't be driving the boat.
Old 18-08-2013, 20:39   #756

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ins. Companys, and Boat Brokers both normaly have lists of Captains who deliver boats. I believe there are serveral who are in the group on here. Connie and I would normaly put our oar in the water, but we are booked for the next 3 mos. Im sure you can find a Captain who has the Lic. and experince with larger MO Boats. Have fun and learn alot !!
Old 19-08-2013, 06:12   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Just not worth the time....BTW - it's not hate if someone disagrees with you.

Out of this nonsense.
I promised myself that I would ignore these kind of comments.

Disagreeing is fine, (and sometimes helpful even) but being nasty is not.
Old 19-08-2013, 06:14   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Can I come? Just kidding... Of course all systems have to checked for proper working order by skipper... if he doesn't he shouldn't be driving the boat.
Absolutely! I need all the help I can get
Old 19-08-2013, 06:25   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
To answer your question, I would get references and check the person out thoroughly. Make sure your insurance company is ok with the person and the move. make sure the Captain has a towing policy.... You should have one too.
A good delivery captain will have a list of requirements ( like the equipment and spares that must be on board) he will also require that all basic systems are operational and that your instruments are all working properly.
If you can go along for the ride and get some lessons on being crew and actually driving the boat so much the better. You will learn a great deal about your boat and its systems on a trip from Florida to Boston, wether you go ICW or outside.
Good advice, thanks. Didn't think about a towing policy. I always say that if you have one, you won't need it, and if you don't... you will

Definitely taking the trip up with the boat. I am only going to hire a captain that is willing to teach me as we go. This will be my FIRST step at hands on training. (with many more to follow!!!)

I am also going to have the captain stay at the marina with me for a couple days when the boat arrives in Boston, to help me sort things out there, also.

I'm very excited, can't wait
Old 19-08-2013, 06:30   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
cG , I've been driving power boats upto 100 feet for years. , firstly two people can easily handle a 65 foot motor boat. Yes you need tuition , yes you need to practice, but there's no rocket science. Start with small journeys , gain experience , do the courses , etc etc no need for a captain , maybe at the start get an instructor to go out a few times.

Bow thruster , very useful , I'd recommend it. , saves on scrapes , stern thruster , nice to have , get one if you want, ignore the , " your not a real women/man, if you use a thruster argument "

Best config , is a single engine , with bow , and optionally stern thrusters

If you want a faster boat, consider semi displacement, like Flemming , speed is useful. Twin engines again with a bow thruster.

(That's cause in wind , its the bow you loose )

Dag Pike ( mobo author ) prefers big planning hull powerboats for heavy weather , like Ribs and new design lifeboats , trouble is few are made strong enough for rough weather.

Horses for courses

Ignore the doubter nonsense , Mobos are easy.

Dave
Thank You Dave for the encouragement!!! Much appreciated!!!

The boat that I plan on making an offer on,( if it checks out), has a single engine and a bow thruster, but no stern.
Old 19-08-2013, 07:38   #761

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Pictures of your new boat, would love to see it.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:51   #762

Boat: too many

As most of you know, there is no license requirement from the USCG that GG must have to captain her own <200 ton vessel that isn't running paying passengers. The insurance company will be the only one with requirements of experienced, licensed captains. She will need a minimum of liability insurance to be legal, she can self insure for her vessel's losses. My liability only policy was dirt cheap for my Cal 40, but since I was singlehanding I could not get any insurance on my hull. For me it was worth the risk as I wasn't going to take on two crew just to satisfy the insurance company, and crewing for watches isn't the only demand, but where you cruise and time of season is also spelled out in a policy.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:46   #763

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I don't know your job situation or family obligations but was just thinking that if you had the option to spend your first winter on your boat in Florida or another southern state things would be much easier for you.

You would not have to move the boat very far. you would likely not need the heating system or have to worry about water and holding tanks. (If you could find a good one in the south with pump out at the dock....or have your slip in reach of the pump out.

You likely would be able to get some cruising in over the winter as well....even if you hire a captain to help you the first few times.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 13:54   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
I don't know your job situation or family obligations but was just thinking that if you had the option to spend your first winter on your boat in Florida or another southern state things would be much easier for you.

You would not have to move the boat very far. you would likely not need the heating system or have to worry about water and holding tanks. (If you could find a good one in the south with pump out at the dock....or have your slip in reach of the pump out.

You likely would be able to get some cruising in over the winter as well....even if you hire a captain to help you the first few times.
My sense is that by the time they family's ready to move aboard seriously it will be Spring and that would give them the time to close, get the boat up to Boston, learn systems and do some upgrades and modification and moving in, decorating, etc... and of course getting the feel for the boat... and maybe some sleep overs with the family. it might even need a bottom job after sitting in water all winter.

Boston is a great jumping off location for Maine, the Islands of MA, Newport, RI and LIS. Great cruising grounds for yr 1.
Old 19-08-2013, 17:26   #765

Boat: too many

GG,

Here is a new forum for you to try. A small yacht by their standards is 65', appears most members are at least 7 figure income earners. The thread that I'm posting the link to is an exception to their 65' minimum standard of what constitutes a yacht. I'm a member but haven't posted much. You will get a kick out of this group.
Review: AfriCat 420' Catamaran - YachtForums.Com
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle