Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 20:21   #16

Re: Caterpilla Engine Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Scoobert, both the 3306 and 3406 are not the best truck engines. They don't seem to like the variable loading. However, in genset or marine applications where they run at a more or less constant loading 90% of the time, they can go 50,000 hours. IMHO, this makes them one of the best trawler engines out there, but then I would think so. I have a 3306.
Actually the 3406 is the truck engine to have if you are an on highway trucker.Not sure where you got that info from but its very wrong. The newer C-13 and C-15 Cat engines have had some issues more than the older 3406's. The older 3406 engines are reliable up to around 550-600 hp easy. I have inframed heaps of them.

They are also not used in the F650 or FL60 as they are almost as heavy as the cab and chassis weight of both those trucks. I prefer the 3406 over the 3306 as the extra torque is fantastic.

They are used in any application that any deisel would be used in. From excavator to trawler to genset.

The one thing you have to think about GalaxyGirl is if you are doing any work on them is that they are very easy to work on. Could be a bit of a bear torquing up the mains if you are doing that kinda work , but everything else is easy .

They are a great engine, but just like any other. If it hasnt been maintained properly than expect to have a few higher bills down the road.
travisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:55   #17

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisD View Post
Actually the 3406 is the truck engine to have if you are an on highway trucker.Not sure where you got that info from but its very wrong. The newer C-13 and C-15 Cat engines have had some issues more than the older 3406's. The older 3406 engines are reliable up to around 550-600 hp easy. I have inframed heaps of them.
It was from the lead mechanic at Motor Trucks, an IH dealer with 40 years of dealing with big rigs. As you know, IH will put any engine you like in their tractors so his experience spans all possibilities. That was his opinion. Doesn't mean they aren't fine engines if well maintained, just that for variable loading there may be better. For trawlers, none better IMO.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03   #18

Boat: Boatless
379 Pete, C15, 550 hp, 18 spd eating fuller.......

Completely off topic!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03   #19

Eaton Fuller....friggin autocorrect!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 20:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
379 Pete, C15, 550 hp, 18 spd eating fuller.......

Completely off topic!
we have a few C-15's in our fleet. One just blew a turbo. Took out the air to air and the other turbo. Huge bill to get it back on the road. Good engines but pricey to repair.
travisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08   #21

Sounds like an ACERT engine!! Once those turbos go, and you're done wiping your eyes over that bill....you'll be fine!! I'd love to get a new Pete glider kit and have the guys at Pittsburgh Power bulid me an engine!!
Sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old 11-07-2013, 18:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin4bogey View Post
Sounds like an ACERT engine!! Once those turbos go, and you're done wiping your eyes over that bill....you'll be fine!! I'd love to get a new Pete glider kit and have the guys at Pittsburgh Power bulid me an engine!!
Sorry for hijacking the thread...
No worries. I already got my answer. Good engine
Old 11-07-2013, 18:29   #23

Boat: Bombay PH 31

There's a very good reason you see a lot of 3408s in shrimpers.
But even I cant kill a Detroit
Now if i could just jam a 671 in a 34' sail boat! Once upon a time i heard a rumour of a 2-71 but have never seen a Detroit smaller than a 453.
Now i could could snag a two cyl lister off a old shrimp boat I'd be done with engine hassles forever!
Old 11-07-2013, 18:39   #24

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Once upon a time i heard a rumour of a 2-71 but have never seen a Detroit smaller than a 453.
A project 30' Monterrey salmon troller woodie I almost picked up a few months ago had a 2-71. Was told at the time they where primarily used on gensets. Search commercial fishing trade mags for a running take out if your interested in one.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:43   #25

Boat: Bombay PH 31

That Boat OPs looking at is F**ing AWSOME! If i could afford the fuel bill for 3k gal of diesel....
Old 11-07-2013, 18:58   #26

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck, We have a 471- detroit 160 HP in our 51 ft ketch, burns less fuel the some perkins ive had! LOL we have 800 gal of fuel so if nessary we can motorsail around 1500 NM or more ! Helps alot sometimes when the winds are slow!!
Old 11-07-2013, 19:15   #27

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
There's a very good reason you see a lot of 3408s in shrimpers.
But even I cant kill a Detroit
Now if i could just jam a 671 in a 34' sail boat! Once upon a time i heard a rumour of a 2-71 but have never seen a Detroit smaller than a 453.
Now i could could snag a two cyl lister off a old shrimp boat I'd be done with engine hassles forever!
Saw a couple of Lincoln welders a few years ago that had 2-71 DD power.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 19:56   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

GG, the CAT engines I worked with commercially were all bullet proof. When we lived aboard and cruised our DeFever, she had CAT D330 and were the most troublefree motor I can recall. One of the major reasons IMO was that they had luberfiner oil filters on each each engine which I believe really extends their life. They had about 10K hours on them when we bought her but we put another 15K on them cruising from Alaska to Mexico and were as trouble free when we sold as the day we bought her. One problem with the luberfiners fiters is that the oil remains so clean, you have trouble reading it on the dip stick on regular maintenance! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 17:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
GG, the CAT engines I worked with commercially were all bullet proof. When we lived aboard and cruised our DeFever, she had CAT D330 and were the most troublefree motor I can recall. One of the major reasons IMO was that they had luberfiner oil filters on each each engine which I believe really extends their life. They had about 10K hours on them when we bought her but we put another 15K on them cruising from Alaska to Mexico and were as trouble free when we sold as the day we bought her. One problem with the luberfiners fiters is that the oil remains so clean, you have trouble reading it on the dip stick on regular maintenance! Phil
Awesome info Phil. Much appreciated!
Old 14-07-2013, 03:31   #30

Boat: 85' Shrimper

Trawl boats locally seem to favor mechanical over computer engines for the obvious reasons....but, I pulled a 3412 and I'm replacing it with a Scania. I'm not sure if I'm nuts or not, but I'll let you know.
Why?
Cat 550hp at 1800rpm burn rate...22gph
Scania 550hp at 1800 burn rate 8gph.
New Scania cost the same as the rebuild on the 3412. [NO Workboat Show price]
3year unlimited warranty...injectors included, mechanic travel covered.
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine