Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 15:51   #1

Boat projects and dinghy purchase..

Hello to everyone. I have a boat that I am fitting and I'd love some advice. I plan to make some improvements.

-Flex solar panels. I am looking for about 120W for a mount on my boat. Any recommendations and advice? Any ones to stay away from?

- NuTeak- Is this stuff the best around for the price or should I look at one of the cheaper ones because of similarity. I am always price conscious. Has anyone installed it themselves? Any feedback or things to watch out for?

I have more but these are the ones that I wanted to seek feedback on.

I am about to find a dinghy with an outboard. I want to mount it to the rear of the swim platform for extra space. I am looking at a Dinghy Ramp XL- roll off/on. Does anyone have any advice for finding a good one. This one will set me back $1200. Seems like a lot of dough. Is there a market for these used?

Any advice on finding a good rigid bottom dinghy and 10 hp. outboard used? I live in Austin and they aren't really around here. I would prefer not to buy new. Any online sources I can look besides Craigslist?

We have about 6 months before I have her moved to Florida where we will spend a few months on the ICW. I was thinking about waiting until I got out that way for the purchase because there are more of them around. Thoughts?

I had a dream last night that I found a guy who let me strip all of the stuff I wanted from his boat. Maybe my wife upped my dose of rat poison and I had a reaction or something? LOL
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 14:50   #2

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Re: Boat projects and dinghy purchase..

Hi Robb, welcome aboard. I bought both my Caribe RIB and Johnson 2-stroke 15HP outboard on Craig's list here in SoCal, after much looking. If you are willing to drive a bit, that might expand your chances. My advice would be to really use the used dinghy and motor before setting off. I ran mine around the marina a few times, but when we were sailing to Mexico, the OB ran sporadically, then not at all. RIBs are NOT very good rowing dinghies

On another thread, someone mentioned using the Walker Bay hard dinghy with the inflatable tubes. Stability, with a good rowing rig when needed. Check E-bay, your local papers, Recycler, etc. Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, purchase