Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 16:55   #1

Boat: Careel 22
Anyone Own a 36' Carver Mariner?

G'day mates,

First, I'm about 99% sure I'll be the owner of a Sea Runner when I make my move to living “on” the water but, I'm still interested in motor vessels for this purpose and haven't ruled them out completely, so when I see a picture of a motor vessel that I like the look of, I check the specs.

Now then, I'm sure most of you are aware a boat broker will say just about anything to sell vessels listed on their books but...They “always” follow-up with a great water-tight Disclaimer! That's the main reason for me preferring to buy direct from the owner. I have found “most” (but not all) owners will be honest with you, when you ask the right questions, I have found over the years, that applies to buying just about anything second hand.
But I'm getting off course here, so back to motor vessels. I like the look of the 1984-1986, 36' Carver Mariner and I believe one of these vessels would suit my needs, perhaps more-so than a similar size Tri'.
i.e. One person living aboard full time, with the occasional visit of three others, my daughter, husband and granddaughter but mostly I would be on my own, sitting on the hook in some river or bay for quite long periods of time, on the East Coast, North East Coast of Australia.

With one of the two 36' Carver Mariner I have been looking at online, part of the brokers sales pitch state:

Quote:
Her "dual-mode" trawler style hull allows her to cruise at 7-8 knots very economically but also run on a plane. She'll easily cruise at 15-16 knots and has a top speed of around 25 knots.
End Quote:

One of the Carvers is powered by Twin Mercruiser, fresh-water-cooled, 340 horsepower gas engines, with 1105 hours on the clock.
The other is powered with Twin 340 horsepower Mercruisers. Hours unknown.

My first question? What fuel/gas would either of these two 36' Carvers burn, cruising at 7-8 knots?
My second question? If anyone bought or owns a 36' Carver with gas/petrol motors and replaced the gas motors with two diesels, what diesels motors did you install...And what diesel do you burn per hour cruising at 7-8 knots?

Thanking you in advance for your views/advice.

Bill AU