Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23   #1

1995 36' Gozzard Cutter

Hello, I am a new member, and am requesting any and all opinions on the Gozzard 36. I am putting together an offer on a beautiful blue hull 1995 36" Cutter. My current boat is a Beneteau 36, so this would be a completly different style boat for me. I have looked at dozens of adds for Gozzards in the same age group. My concern is the number of major repairs, or replacement of components that are listed in Gozzards of similar age. Some have new Algrip paint jobs, new shaft and cutlass bearings, new heating systems, new fuel tanks, new prop shaft and prop, new compressors on the AC, and one even had a new transmission. I have made no such repairs on my Beneteau, and at aprox. twice the price, I would hope that the Gozzard would be a stronger, better built boat. Any info from Gozzard owners, friends of owners, or anyone who has done their own research on these Yachts would be appreciated.
Thanx.....Rick
Contrails II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I like ours just fine. It's a 1991 and some things like the fridge died. For the most part the boat was in great shape given it was lived aboard and cruised for it's whole life. The riiging is hideously over desinged. The only Gozzard rig failure known was a run in with the Chesapeake Bay bridge. The bridge won but it took a while.

For the most part Gozzard owners maintain the boats quite well. They were all custom built to order so the folks that boaught them new had a lot of money to begin with. If you have more specific questions send me a private mail message.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 16:29   #3

I don't own a Gozzard but I do know that the build quality is very good. I will venture that you'll find the Gozzard to be a much more strongly constucted boat than the one that you currently sail.

As far as the maintenance concerns you have raised go, it's probably more of a case of things being replaced or upgraded on a preventive, rather than a necessary basis. The new boats are fairly significant investments and I think it's likely that the owners could afford to keep their boats in excellent condition.

When it comes to my boat, I replace things long before they fail, or start to show signs of heavy wear. Probably a bit wasteful on my part, but I feel comfortable sailing in any weather because I know that everything on the boats is strong.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cutter