Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 13:55   #31

Re: Visitors & too much booze!

'Colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow' would pretty much end the offers of drinks.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 14:52   #32

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Old, classic boats draw dock walkers like sh*t draws flies (ask me how I know), and aside from leaving town like I did, I don't see any simple solution to the perpetual "tour of the boat" problem, especially if you're proud of your vessel and the beds are made. It got to the point where I was actually contemplating putting a "Tour of the Boat: $35" sign on the gunnel, but like I said, I left town instead.

This said, I'm borderline jealous; I never had uninvited visitors show up with bottle in hand. Most either drank mine, or nothing at all.

Wasn't it Rodney Dangerfield who said: "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings. I go to parties."

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 15:04   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
Old, classic boats draw dock walkers like sh*t draws flies (ask me how I know), and aside from leaving town like I did, I don't see any simple solution to the perpetual "tour of the boat" problem, especially if you're proud of your vessel and the beds are made. It got to the point where I was actually contemplating putting a "Tour of the Boat: $35" sign on the gunnel, but like I said, I left town instead.

This said, I'm borderline jealous; I never had uninvited visitors show up with bottle in hand. Most either drank mine, or nothing at all.

Wasn't it Rodney Dangerfield who said: "I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings. I go to parties."

Jacques
Go with the sign, a great idea but some one might twist a pinky and sue you if they pay.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 15:23   #34

Quote:

Jacques
I'm thinking the problem revolves more around her freshly single status than the vintage of the boat.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 15:51   #35

Boat: Various

I'll add this in as well. If people are standing on the dock at my boat with wine glasses and a bottle of wine and drinking, I don't invite them aboard.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 17:28   #36

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I'm thinking the problem revolves more around her freshly single status than the vintage of the boat.
True. She's probably flustered (and perhaps a little flattered) by all the attention a single woman on a boat of any kind is bound to get, but having a vintage boat makes her easier to approach.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 18:56   #37

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

You don't need excuses. Don't be bullied by the idea that you have to "Go along to get along." There is no shame in knowing your limits and sticking to them. Anyone who thinks less of you because you don't get drunk when they do is no friend anyway.

"Thanks but I've had enough tonight." Is all anyone should have to say.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 19:59   #38

This is a great thread, and there have been a few very good suggestions. Used together, I think they'll help you mitigate the problem.

First, it's OK to say no. It may smooth things over if you make some minor and unverifiable excuse, but sometimes it's best just to say you need to get your rest.

Second, if you want the company but need to cut back on the alcohol, you can easily mix in some non-alcoholic drinks into your regimen, or skip the alcohol altogether. Nobody worthwhile will care.

Third, if it's more the solitude you need rather than the alcohol you need to avoid, see the first suggestion. A newly single female with a nice boat at the marina will no doubt attract attention, particularly if she seems amenable to a few drinks. You can afford to be selective, and need to make sure that people are getting the message you intend to send.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:42   #39

Boat: C&C 25

Our marina is a very social club, and well people enjoy themselves..Being active in our club means seeing lots of people who insist on sharing.

Without killing the mood or becoming a killjoy, pacing is your best friend. Your body will eliminate alcohol on a regular.

You need to break your drinks into 1 glass every 40 minutes or so. Drink plenty of water , have multiple glasses one of water, and sip the wine..

The elimination rate is about 1 glass per hour ..

Pace is the secret. and hydration plenty of it..
tightgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:49   #40

Boat: Elco Marinette 27'

What I've done a few times before is say that I'm hungry. Since I don't have a working galley, that gets me off the boat to the local deli.

My boat was only in the water for a few months last summer & as a novice, I loved the company. This year, I plan on cruising heavily, so don't think this will be a huge problem. I just wanted to know the proper protocol.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 20:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
'Colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow' would pretty much end the offers of drinks.

Too funny! LOL

Old 07-02-2015, 20:57   #42

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If somebody turns up with a nice old bottle of red... thank them kindly, accept it , and stow it at the back of the galley .... then offer them a glass out of a half full 2 litre bottle of Bulgarian red... word will soon get around.
Old 07-02-2015, 21:03   #43

Quote:

Jacques

I'm seriously considering putting a bucket on board that says 'Donations Requested' :-)

You hit the nail on the head: I'm very proud of my boat & her restoration & love showing her off. It's one thing, I really enjoy & it takes some of the sting out of the pain of restoration costs. The accolades remind me why I am doing it. :-)

Old 07-02-2015, 21:10   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

WindwardPrinces wrote,

"You can afford to be selective, and need to make sure that people are getting the message you intend to send."

Starside writes that she was mainly concerned about the protocol.

FWIW, I think you'll be best served by behaving outgoing and friendly, but EXTREMELY discreet. Only a moment's indiscretion can really mess you up somewhere you are being watched a lot.

Ann
Old 07-02-2015, 21:17   #45

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
.Being active in our club means seeing lots of people who insist on sharing.

Without killing the mood or becoming a killjoy, pacing is your best friend. Your body will eliminate alcohol on a regular.

You need to break your drinks into 1 glass every 40 minutes or so. Drink plenty of water , have multiple glasses one of water, and sip the wine..

No one has the right to insist on sharing. One says "no" and that means no. No one should feel the need to pretend or pace or do anything else they don't want to do. This whole concept that if you don't choose to drink with us, you're being rude or being a killjoy or anything else is just wrong. If you don't want to drink, don't. And if you have a drinking problem as the OP has indicated they do have, then all the more reason not to do it just because others offer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote