Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 05:49   #1

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Ever Want to Throw In the Towel?

Hi guys,

Well, seeing as this is the confessional, I feel the need to confess.

I am BUMMED out.

So Chief Engineer did a great job fixing Icefire up (hope you got that first check by now, CE. Just got paid again, so another one's on the way ). But now, I'm facing the daunting....no....annoying........task of figuring out when in the name of hades I'll be able to take the time to get up to Annapolis and try the ICW journey to Charleston again.

It'd be easy if it were just me, of course. But I can't really leave the Admiral and Midshipmen alone for 2 weeks, and they're a little bit little for her to feel comfy taking them along. Shoot, she doesn't really want to spend that long on the boat (not until we have a nice bigger catamaran someday ). So she was going to drive up to her folks' place in Maine again. But no.....the schedule that works for me at work doesn't work for them.....and the tires on the Tribeca need replacing ($1000 that I don't have right this minute).....so that's out. But wait! Maybe I can fly them up, then fly back down (at a time that works for the MIL), then take the boat down, then fly back up and get them........at a cost of more than the tires! Great idea! Ugh! The latest plan is that the MIL will fly down, then they'll all fly up, then somehow they'll come home after I'm done......but that costs cash too and is fraught with peril of annoyance.

And then there's the trip itself. Sure, it'll probably be fun. But somehow the thought of doing it in late September (that's the planned time now) doesn't seem as neat as early June did. Maybe it's the fact that the days are getting shorter....maybe it's the knowledge of Hurricane season....or maybe I'm just tired of the whole situation, but it sure is starting to feel like more of a burden than the fun adventure it was before.

I can't keep Icefire up there in Annapolis and pay for a slip when I'm down here and I've got a mooring buoy free to use. Well, I guess I could, but it makes no sense to throw that $ away.

All the same, the logistics of the whole jackasstic situation are really starting to get to me. It's got me thinking "Screw it!" and pondering just selling the cussed boat, renting out my mooring buoy here in Charleston, and calling it even.

Anyone else get that feeling?

I need a stiff drink......
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 06:16   #2

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic kamahele
it will pass

I'll take your buoy! Please! Please!

Seriously though, I feel your pain. In the last 2 years we have been squandering (what remains) of our youth on work and taking care of elderly relatives, so have sailed only 2 times this summer. Last year wasn't much better. I've gotten all my friends seasick and I am tired of single handing. The $ I spend on winterizing, indoor storage, upgrades, makes no sense financially and we haven't even taken a "vacation" this year!

On the other hand, nothing good comes without sacrifice, and truth to tell I'd rather sell our house than our boat. Since I am intimidated by the time and help I'd need to do the ICW, (and even get there from here in the great lakes)I am thinking of trucking the boat down south, hoping a new environment will at least get us closer to the goal of cruising.

So if it won't be fun, maybe let someone else do it, or go for the paid slip just to have some variety in your life. If it doesn't require going into debt,
it really doesn't matter in the long haul when or how much money you "waste". (of course it is easy for me to say w/o kids to put through college...). Hang in there, hopefully your discouragement won't last.
karen
k2kamahele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 06:48   #3

Boat: 40 Schucker 'Marguerite'
Send a message via AIM to gtmopat1
Hi Alexei
I feel for you since my Admiral has also swallowed the anchor due to disability. Nevertheless it is always more fun with some one else on the boat when it is time to travel. I bore too easily when I anchor out and marinas every night cost too much so then it becomes an equation of can I afford a second home that floats. Personally I could just enjoy living aboard but when money gets tight that sometimes becomes a luxury, no matter how much we love the boat. I would say move the boat to Charleston then give it a while to see if you really want to move on.
I would suggest that if two weeks is too long to leave them on their own that you might do it in stages. A number of years ago when I moved my boat from Miami to DC I did it in three stages where I moved it north for a week, then a month or so later moved it north for another week, etc. There are a number of places along the way where you could dock it for a month much cheaper than it is costing in Annapolis I am sure. Then you either rent a car or take the bus, train, or plane home. Someplace half way like New Bern would probably work. Anyway hope it turns out for you. Pat
gtmopat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 06:49   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You have a PM..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 07:04   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
My 2 cents - Ride out this storm, it will get better.

Its great that you posted this. Many many people in your situation sell the boat, then when the kid is in college buy a boat and start over again to go cruising. Hopefully some of the replies will give you a broad range of experiences and choice options. This isn't a contest, its whats best for you and your family.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 07:24   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Alexei,

Send me a PM. I have a couple of guys (experienced sailors) who I might be able to talk into taking the boat partway to SC.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 08:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
My 2 cents - Ride out this storm, it will get better.

Its great that you posted this. Many many people in your situation sell the boat, then when the kid is in college buy a boat and start over again to go cruising. Hopefully some of the replies will give you a broad range of experiences and choice options. This isn't a contest, its whats best for you and your family.
Yeah yeah. I know. I really don't intend to throw in the towel. I just needed to vent because it's getting frustrating. Now the MIL has can-x'd her latest plan, so there's NO way I can go up to make the trip without leaving the Admiral alone. And that's a non-starter.

At least you great guys have pointed me toward possible crew help. Hopefully something comes of that.
Old 02-09-2009, 18:41   #8

Woohoo!

Ok, I'm done griping now. The Admiral and her mom figured out what they're doing, so we're go for a 24 September underway. If all goes well, I'll have Icefire down here by the middle of October.

Ok, so I'm sometimes moody. Sue me. Life is good now.
Old 02-09-2009, 19:03   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Good Show...My friend
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Well if nothing else, if Chief did work on your boat, you know it was done right. I'm happy things worked out.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 19:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Well if nothing else, if Chief did work on your boat, you know it was done right. I'm happy things worked out.
Once Icefire is safely tired up on her mooring buoy here in the Ashley River, I'll consider things to have worked out.

Right now, they're just looking up.

I appreciate the good wishes though.
Old 02-09-2009, 20:02   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The Admiral and her mom figured out what they're doing, so we're go for a 24 September underway. If all goes well, I'll have Icefire down here by the middle of October.
Sounds like perfect timing. The weather could be in your favor baring hurricanes and at least you get about 4 days notice on them. Should you need a hand getting down the Chesapeake I could be available.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:12   #13

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.
Alexei

We all have those days/weeks/months when the hassle factor seems overwhelming, or you wonder if it's really worth all the expense....many of us have been there. But then you get one of those days on the water that make it all worthwhile.

I like what Ocean Girl said: "This isn't a contest, its whats best for you and your family." As I slide into geezerdom, one thing I've learned is that if you hang in there and stay openminded, things usually have a way of working out.
Old 07-09-2009, 15:06   #14

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
yeh, sometimes it does get a bit thick. I've been working on Espie now all summer, haven't been off the dock yet. My original intent was to correct all the deficiencies needed to get her thru a coast guard/police inspection. So thats done. Then i was going to start sanding, painting and varnishing. To that end I pulled off all the interior trim. Now I'm looking at the deck to cabin side joint and its rotted all the way around. So...... I have to remove the bottom 3 inches of cabin side, and splice in new mahogany. Interesting thing is that this has already been done once on the two sides and front. The back was never done because they welded a plate in place on the bridge deck and you can't get to it.

So yeh, I feel your pain. But, I will keep on keepin on. I'll be &*^&%^ if I'll let this defeat me. I have the skills to do this.

Sabre
86 days n a wake up.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 10:43   #15

Re: Ever Want to Throw In the Towel?

Don't know your work/income situation; BUT . . . . I just don't get how you an have a cruising sail driven vehicle, the boat; and that you can't fathom sailing up and down the coast?

Put your staff on the boat with plenty of chocolate and marshmallows, bologna white bread and mayonnaise; spaghetti and Paul Newman sauce and f!@kin' SAIL up the coast!

Remember the magic words besides 'that costs money,' "Yes dear."
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote