Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-08-2010, 12:31   #20

"After that I wrote a very courteous e-mail to the local marine patrol district manager and asked him to have his local officers enforce the specific laws about placement of crab traps. He said he would have his patrol officers look into the situation. One month and 11 days later the traps are still there. One of the local fellows pointed out to me that the local patrol officer was from a family of crabbers and it would make for some awkward family get togethers if he busted his cousins."

THE ABOVE IS WHAT I CALL 'GOOD OL' SOUTHERN BOY CRONYISM'. It leads to one taking matters into one's own hands when your TAX PAID Officials FAIL to act in THEIR capacities IMO. I've never failed to 'help fix' the situation on my own out on the water when it needs fixing. Spent 10 years lobstering in CT/NY/ Long Island Sound waters and never lost a trap to stupidity on my part. I used brightly colored floats, spaced my pots in non navigable waters for sailboats (speedboat yahoos are a WHOLE 'nother story!). Why the ICW Pot fisherman can not seem to follow simple regs is beyond me, other than sheer Redneckness. If your pot line fouls my prop, it's now my pot and the contents my lunch....as I would expect if you fouled on my pot.

Be curious to know which 'Prop guard' the OP had that did not work? Line cutter too?!
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote