only at night 7 4.00%
when out in the open, but maybe not outside the limit 52 29.71%
whenever I think it's OK because no one will notice 17 9.71%
reguarly pump it overboard 29 16.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 18:35   #106

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I like the one where the vast majority of Americans who were polled about "di-hydrogen oxide" thought it should be banned.
Could you link me to that please.
Old 15-07-2010, 20:46   #107

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Could you link me to that please.
There is the neat little feature on the internet called "Google" you can find out all sorts of stuff with it. - - Over a decade different students and others have had a lot of fun with the "banning water" by calling it by some of its chemical names. The purpose was to point out the gullible and un-informed nature of the public especially when it comes to science.
- - Just for you - - Dihydrogen monoxide hoax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 16-07-2010, 10:29   #108

Although I try hard to be eco friendly, the release of waste water (human waste) into the ocean is an inevitable fact of life. Mariness, you need to be a little more realistic with your rant. The chemicals in our poo are not as toxic as you claim no matter how much medicine I am taking or beer I am drinking or whatever. Our bodies do a damn good job of breaking down those kind of things to nominal levels. No matter how you feel about it, many of the stations where boat waste water tanks are pumped into are eventually taken by barge out past the line and dumped into the mighty oceans. Or piped directly out beyond the continental shelf. The oceans, by the way, are full of enzymes and naturally occurring bacteria that break the waste down much more efficiently than the human body can even do. I would wager everything I own to bet that the waste water from most pleasure boaters is nowhere near as toxic as the waste water being pumped to sea from our cities. City waste water IS full of chemicals of all sorts from those designed to unclog pipes to old out of date medicines to who knows what else, where boaters tend to be MUCH more careful about what goes into their waste water. So this type of crusade is nonsense and based on emotion rather than fact. Like too many "ECO" people you should aim your sights on more blatant threats to the eco systems, like deep water drilling, stripping the rain forests, factory dumping of chemicals into the oceans, rivers and lakes. But most importantly, be factual in your crusades. As far as pooping in the woods, come on, get a life. I tell you what, I promise not to poo in your yard, that is the best I can do.
Old 16-07-2010, 12:28   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Dihydrogen Monoxide or DHMO (“Dihydrogen” indicates two hydrogen atoms, or “H2” and “Monoxide” refers to a single oxygen atom, or “O”) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid.
Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.
Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance.
For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

DMHO FAQs ➥ Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide

Old 16-07-2010, 13:02   #110

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
I'm one of the do-gooders who ticked "never", coz I don't have a holding tank.

Greg
Old 16-07-2010, 13:37   #111

GordMay, your theory is all wet.
Old 16-07-2010, 14:12   #112
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I'm one of the do-gooders who ticked "never", coz I don't have a holding tank.

Greg
So really you always pump overboard?
Old 16-07-2010, 14:25   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspaddler View Post
GordMay, your theory is all wet.
Thanx for noticing.

Old 18-07-2010, 16:02   #114
CLOD

You know maybe I don't understand the "3 mile" line. Today I left the port I stayed at for the night and noticed that I got to the 3 mile limit on the chart in, well 3 miles. But the line then just went across the bay for 20 miles. I measured the distance and near as I can tell the middle point was 12 miles from any land (and I know the area so don't tell me there is some little rock island somewhere on the way.
Old 18-07-2010, 16:51   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So really you always pump overboard?
Yup, the tank is clean enough to eat out of. But "always" is the wrong word. Not in marinas or where people are swimming, etc.
Old 18-07-2010, 18:03   #116

Boat: Beneteau 461, Blue
BLACKWATER! Does anyone know how this commodity being currently handled by the Cruisers in Georgetown, Bahamas? Is the Honeyboat still in operation?
Old 18-07-2010, 18:22   #117

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
You know maybe I don't understand the "3 mile" line. Today I left the port I stayed at for the night and noticed that I got to the 3 mile limit on the chart in, well 3 miles. But the line then just went across the bay for 20 miles. I measured the distance and near as I can tell the middle point was 12 miles from any land (and I know the area so don't tell me there is some little rock island somewhere on the way.
Your charts have a line at 3 miles?

Most would have the territorial boundary at 12 miles; bays are often enclosed - UNCLOS has rules for how that's done.
Old 18-07-2010, 19:13   #118

Boat: Irwin sloop
I'm told that before civilized humans came on the scene the fish and marine mammal population in our oceans was twelve times greater than it is now. And with all the buffalo roaming, and the deer and antelope playing, the amount of manure produced and left untreated to runoff into the streams and rivers the oceans must have resembled Poo poo soup compared to what they are now.
Old 19-07-2010, 03:36   #119
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Your charts have a line at 3 miles?

Yes my charts have it already on them. And my GPS also shows it on the screen.
Old 19-07-2010, 14:06   #120

Boat: Camano Troll
Quote:
If you think you're three miles out and you can't see any other boats, you're three miles out.
Closed Thread

Tags
holding tank