Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 16:05   #16

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch
Re: Sailing From Sydney to Mexico

Don't have much time right now for details--will have to dredge them up from old journals since not available in memory--but Eric Hosticka, on PAPAGENO (32'-24' cutter) sailed singel-handed, non-stop from Queensland to Hawaii in 1998.

And then there were other friends, Jim & Rhea Turner on THESIS, a 39'Cross Tri, who crossed at the Equator to go back to the States, I think in 1995 or '96. I believe their story was in LATITUDE 38.

I'm in the Philippines but since I've thought about returning to Baja but would not survive the cold of taking the logical route of Japan, etc, something along the lines of what Eric did has more appeal--Bill and I did make a difficult but doable passage from Bora Bora up to Hawaii in late 1994. Too late in the season due to several reasons and probably not the best jumping-off point but having done it, I'd still consider it again if better planned.

Whichever route you take there will be miserable days and wonderful days, so give some thought to how mitigate both with how important GETTING THERE is--is the journey or the destination that is more important?

Best of luck to you,
Diane

Diane
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 16:44   #17

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree

I agree with Seasick, fly to the east coast of the Americas and buy the boat there. Sail the Caribbean as a training ground and then do the Pacific crossing. That's what we did and we're in Sydney now.
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 19:25   #18

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

[QUOTE= Eric Hosticka, on PAPAGENO (32'-24' cutter)[/QUOTE]

...was rushing and made several grammar mistakes, sorry, but most needing correction was size of Eric's boat...meant to write 'or 34 feet' not 24 feet.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 20:13   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

The main thing u should know about sail boats is that they follow the winds. Which means, generally speaking, that they go with the wind instead of against the wind. The wind makes waves. The stronger the wind, given enough time to act on the water, makes waves bigger. They can get quite steep if the wind was strong and the storm wasn't that far away. So, the physics of it is this...if you sail against the wind the sailor's term is a "beat"...it is the slowest point of sail. There is a reason it is called a beat. Going against wind and wave can "beat" the snot out of you and break many things on the poor boat. If you are inside a boat beating to windward you will understand the meaning of a "beat" very quickly. The boat has to climb the wave that is coming at it. That wave has momentum...speed and mass..it kills the speed of your boat as it tries to climb the face of that oncoming wave. When you get to the top of that wave your little teacup of a 36 footer feels like you are on a roller coaster. Your tiny boat falls down the backside of the wave and begins the process all over again. Divide 30 seconds into a 24 hour time period and you have an approximation of how many cycles you can go through in one day. You are not sitting in front of a TV set with a blanket on your recliner. Experienced sailors have had to be rescued from small boats from literally being exhausted almost to death when caught in long drawn out storms. In the pacific ocean a, just average, storm can produce waves of 15-30 feet high. You are hanging on for dear life inside your cabin. There may be vomit flying around also.

Jimmy Cornell's sailing routes is a book already mentioned. His book tells you what routing to use and at what time of the year. It is based on routes that are downwind or at least beam reaching. Steve Dashew can get away with beating to windward from New Zealand to California and knock off 250 miles a day. But his large Deerfoot boats are large Maxi monohulls that are aluminum and 60-80 feet long. Look up Beowulf and Steve Dashew. They cost millions of dollars and are for the very experienced sailors who have that kind of wherewithal.

I just going to say it plainly....Do not attempt this type of thing. Get a boat in Mexico and learn sailing there. Mexico is cheap, friendly, and sailing is great. Do not attempt to even do that during the summer season. It is very hot and late summer and Autumn dangerous hurricane season. We had some real scary weather this year due to the El Nino weather phenomenon. The other suggestion is buy in Malaysia and cut your teeth on learning around there and then head west around Africa and then the Atlantic....but that is no joke either.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 22:08   #20

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffestugato View Post
Hi guys

My wife and I are planning to sail from Sydney AUS to Los Cabos MEX in a 36f sail boat though the Pacific ocean soon.
We are not experienced sailors but both of us use to be on an intense contact with the ocean and we know it. Of course we will be training before start it.
Iv got hundreds of question to ask but the main ones are:
The best route?
Better time of the year for start?
The best devices?
How to make a good training?
Chances of Sink?
Any idea of cost?
Need gun on board?

Please fell free to say whatever you want bout it. We are listening everybody.

Thank you
ffestu a yahoo.comm
Agree with the others. Northerly route by Japan and Hawaii makes most sense for you, but if you do this with little or no experience then you definitely will be in for "intense contact with the ocean" and with respect you do not "know it" yet. But you will, likely more than you want to.

My vote goes with the chorus of others: fly to Mexico and buy a boat there if you want to be there… But I will add the question: why do you want to be in Mexico, specifically? And why CSL???
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 21:23   #21

I agree with Best route via 747 to so cal buy boat in sea of cortez then have fun..I'm guessing you have no idea of how long and difficult the trip...the wear and tear on the boat will be more money than the flights. that 36 ft sailboat will shrink in size real fast..Don Friday Harbor

_____
kapal
Old 30-04-2016, 16:57   #22

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

FFESTUGATO

We sailed, in our 40ft yacht, from Sydney to Hobart then to NZ, Raitaia, Hawaii, and to Alaska then down the west coast of the US to Mexico. The trip across the Pacific was 70 sailing days to windward to get to the Janu de Fucca Strait. Leaving NZ it was roughly 3 x 3 week passages to reach the NW coast of the US.

The advice given to date is all relevant. The PNW can be very challenging sailing in the cold and fog and as much as we loved the adventure, people, wildlife and scenery, we find tropical sailing easier.

We are currently in Eden waiting for weather to head for Sydney on route from Tasmania. If you would like to get together or seek individual advice on aspects of our journey please send a PM.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:30   #23

Re: sailing from Sydney to Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I remember reading someone's blog about buying a catamaran in Thailand, sailing to Japan, then Aleutians and then down the US coast. I looked at the currents and although a very long trip it made sense.
i cant imagine how long take the time
Old 05-08-2016, 10:43   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: sailing from Sydney to Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Better yet forget Mexico and go explore the Barrier Reef which, heading north, is some of the best sailing on earth.
This is probably the best advice you are going to get on this particular thread.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:05   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

by the way--it is NOT el nino now it is LA NINA. cyclic year changes in MAY. at beginning of cane season on west coast.
the last year, may 2015 to june 2016 was a super el nino.
sorry but the weather cycles donot hold a calendar year as we know it, but their own cyclical year, which begins prior to the beginning of cane season on west coast. end may 2016 to june 2017 is the la nina cyclic year this run.
we are just now beginning to see the traditional pattern of skimming coastline for formation of cyclonic events.
our first half season was sending these to hawaii, with some lesser intensity that in el nino cycles.

but folks COULD follow the route followed by jeff hartjoy of sailors run on his latest rtw adventure. is more exciting. makes for better stories around the drinking table.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sail, sailing, sydney, mexico