Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 01:13   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

re: How Many Of You Want To Be Buried At Sea?

There are no unviversal rules on what folks can do with the bodies of dead folks (despite what many - off topic - organisations may claim).....just varying conventions and costs involved - which all told means folks can do WTF they want, and nowadays (in the developed parts of the West) is perfectly socially acceptable.

Personally I am not bothered in the slightest as to what happens to my remains - I am happy to go with whatever my next of kin decide (as if I will have any choice!), no matter if that choice is based on their own personal beliefs / delusions - or simply cost .

However on a general note perhaps worth highlighting that what happens to a body can be surprisingly divisive amongst family , and if you are not the actual next of kin you can get to suck up the choices of others - something to bear in mind for those who never got around to getting married.......

Back on topic , I have no plans to get scattered at sea or anywhere else (to me kinda seems like throwing someone away - not that it bothers me, and I appreciate that others see it differently).

Earlier this year I did acquire my own grave plot , and in a religion based burial site! (I just lied ), but that mostly about needing somewhere to also inter the late Missus (around these parts cremated remains can be buried same as a body - just in a smaller and cheaper(!) box, me is still partway through building mine and hers!) but all that simply because she wanted a permanent headstone / marker (and despite what I may think of religions they are good at holding onto their dead people places - I am a pragmatist) - and I figured I might as well go in the same place, cheaper to do 2 at the same time (the plan was also a cremation first for me)......FWIW, me Missus has already had two funerals (Christian as she was a convert, albeit could never remember what branch and Buddhist for her family - plus the temple has the crematorium on site, which also made flying her home easier and cheaper )....with dead folks, especially abroad, a lot of practicalities involved.

My / her burial plot is the 3rd family plot (one of which goes back 150 odd years) - see previous comments about dead people's burials being divisive, and that includes who goes where / on top of whom .

Ooops, another post that grew beyond the topic .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 01:42   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: How Many Of You Want To Be Buried At Sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Burning bodies seems so wastefull, thou somekind of airdrying before might spare some fuel thou..
Heat recovery from Crematoriums to generate Electricity .

A dead heat - crematorium to sell power for National Grid - Telegraph
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 01:53   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I think I would give up cruising if everyone decided that was the best way to be put to rest. Around 150,000 die daily, seas would soon become littered around the populated areas .
Thats why I said over the continental shelf. I am sure my head will fit in the mouth of an average size Tiger Shark. I am happy for him to have it.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 01:54   #19
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I reckon my body should go into medical research, and be given to students to autopsy. They'd have a field day with it, I mean with the bone implant in my knee (screws still intact), enormous bumps in my shoulder where I shattered my collarbones and had them pinned (plates came out), missing kidney, scarring on spleen where my chipped spine shredded it, probably sirosis of the liver (actually not that, the scans showed the liver is still OK, thankfully!) and my blackened lungs, and of course the ENORMOUS brain; I reckon the students would have a field day with my body!

And then I'd like the rest to be cremated and scattered over the sea.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 01:59   #20

Boat: OEM, proportional

???

What horrendous calamity so mangled your body such that your spine interfered with your spleen? Somatically speaking, those two bits are quite far apart, or should be........cringing sympathetically in advance, micah.
Old 25-11-2012, 02:03   #21

Quote:
I think I would give up cruising if everyone decided that was the best way to be put to rest. Around 150,000 die daily, seas would soon become littered around the populated areas .
Yep, there're around 7 billion of us alive at the moment and we'll all be dead within a hundred years. That's more food than even the fish could cope with...best we all get burned
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 02:08   #22

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand View Post
Yep, there're around 7 billion of us alive at the moment and we'll all be dead within a hundred years. That's more food than even the fish could cope with...best we all get burned
So instead we put the carbons of 7 billion people into the air for our grandkids to sniff :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 02:13   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

When attending marine college in Vancouver, I used to work weekends running pilot boats and water taxis.
Occasionally we would do the spreading of ashes on Sunday mornings, usually after a long night of running ship crews and their girls back and forth from English Bay anchorages.

One time ashes were being cast at Pt. Grey, of an old mariner who had died of lung cancer.
At the moment of the casting ceremony on the aft deck, my rather sleepy and dimwitted deck hand decided it would be a good time to empty the bucket of cigarette butts from the forward cabin.

The back eddies were perfect to create a stunning montage of cause and effect about the dangers of smoking.
That cured me from ever smoking or having a burial at sea.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 02:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
So instead we put the carbons of 7 billion people into the air for our grandkids to sniff :-D
Buy your carbon offsets first of course. Take it out of the grandkids' inheritance (see how they like that!)
Old 25-11-2012, 02:46   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Actually I have to agree, but we are not given much choice nowadays.
A much better idea would be to do what one gardener did and bury corpses then immediately plant a tree over the top. It apparently provided enough fertilizer to boost the growth (of the tree) tremendously.

In case you are wondering, the corpses she uses were roadkill. She would pick up any animal she saw by the side of the road. She was one keen gardener, but its actually a great way of disposing of our remains I think!!!!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 02:55   #26

Quote:
A much better idea would be to do what one gardener did and bury corpses then immediately plant a tree over the top. It apparently provided enough fertilizer to boost the growth (of the tree) tremendously.
That is what carbon offsets are...sort of anyway. You pay for someone to plant a tree to make up for all the junk your burning body pumps into the air we breathe. Your version just cuts out the middle man
Old 25-11-2012, 03:41   #27

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

only live people worry about dying,

Been there almost a few times in my lifetime, so I dont care, they can have it for medical research, or do whatever they like,

I really cant see how religion got involved with dying,

We are a part of the animal kingdom, We are born, here for a set number of years, then we die, thats it,

Religion only comes in when people cant handle the fact that there isnt some thing else,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 04:45   #28
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
I would prefer to be dumped "whole bodied" over the continental shelf so I can go back into the food chain. All we do is take from the planet. Then we die and either get put under ground that can never be used again or burnt and add further polution as the last thing we do.

Feed me to the fishies. Sadly, my govt wont allow it :-(
My sentiments exactly. Tie something heavy to me and chuck me into deep water. No fire, no dirt.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 05:54   #29

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
If I get a choice in the matter; buried intact on dry land. I won't explain, since you refuse a "religious answer" to a religious question...

Thanks Cap.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 06:11   #30

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
If I get a choice in the matter; buried intact on dry land.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Don't see it is a religious question Micah. Dying is just a natural end to every life, how it happens may not be,
Of course dying is guaranteed and no one known when or how, but how our bodies are handled afterwards can be determined by religious preferences.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote